+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot bills

Quote Originally Posted by KerrAvon View Post
    Utility companies have to pay the market price for gas and electric. If they don't pass it on to their customers they go bust - just like many did last year.
    But utilities don't operate in a normal free market system. They are actually regulated monopolies with guaranteed returns. All the big six energy companies make profits by generating as well as supplying power. It's a licence to print money

Utility companies are making very little. As I mentioned, numerous such companies went bust last year when prices started to rise.

The Ukraine/Russia conflict is a factor in the rising cost of several commodities. Ignoring that is a bit silly
    You haven’t answered my point. Why am I seeing big price hikes on common household goods that aren’t affected by the Ukraine invasion? Or do you choose to just skip my question because you don’t shop regular so don’t see this happening?

Quote Originally Posted by Pattylallacks2 View Post
    But utilities don't operate in a normal free market system. They are actually regulated monopolies with guaranteed returns. All the big six energy companies make profits by generating as well as supplying power. It's a licence to print money
    If a utility company is involved in generation it is having to buy the raw material (often gas) on the open market.

Wholesale petrol prices are back to the same level they were before Putin invaded but the retail prices haven't come back down to reflect that.

There is profiteering but the main reason is the ICE car ban in 2030, the oil companies are trying to make as much money as they can while they're still in business.

Quote Originally Posted by Brin View Post
    You haven’t answered my point. Why am I seeing big price hikes on common household goods that aren’t affected by the Ukraine invasion? Or do you choose to just skip my question because you don’t shop regular so don’t see this happening?
    Is this a game where I have to guess the content of your shopping basket?

Ukraine is a major wheat and sunflower oil producer. Disruption of supplies from that country has driven up the world price of those commodities and alternatives. The conflict has also added to oil, gas and (consequently)electicity costs that were already rising as the world economy came out of covid and demand rose. As most goods will need energy to produce and transport them, there price will rise too.

The next shock will flow from disruption to agriculture caused by extreme weather.

Disruption to agriculture and food supply comes from measures to allegedly tackle climate change, bans on fertilizer, farmers being paid to cull their cows or quit farming altogether. These things are happening throughout the West.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post
    Disruption to agriculture and food supply comes from measures to allegedly tackle climate change, bans on fertilizer, farmers being paid to cull their cows or quit farming altogether. These things are happening throughout the West.
    You should do stand up.

I live in a rural location. The field directly behind my house had barley in it from a spring sowing. I walked across it at the weekend (on a footpath). Some of the cracks in the ground were so wide that I was concerned about turning an ankle. The yield will be pitiful because of how dry it has been.

For the benefit of Brin, much of the beef produced in this country is raised on barley based animal feed as is chicken and egg production which means that meat prices will rise too.

The dry and hot weather across much of the world has nothing to do with measures to tackle climate change.

You should do stand up.

I live in a rural location. The field directly behind my house had barley in it from a spring sowing. I walked across it at the weekend (on a footpath). Some of the cracks in the ground were so wide that I was concerned about turning an ankle. The yield will be pitiful because of how dry it has been.

For the benefit of Brin, much of the beef produced in this country is raised on barley based animal feed as is chicken and egg production which means that meat prices will rise too.

The dry and hot weather across much of the world has nothing to do with measures to tackle climate change.
    Cheers Kerr, I’d better stock up on a few fillets in my freezer then before another price hike! Shame I can’t do the same about fresh eggs… I love em

You can keep chickens in your garden. Spider mite is a bugger though

I’m totally patioed no grass anymore so no good actually 😉

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast