+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Houses

Houses

Just reading yet again this morning about the housing crisis, we are short of them, new ones are not being built anything like fast enough, and the big problem is, apparently, Nimbyism, builders can't get plans passed as no one wants a new estate springing up near them, local MPs and councillors lodge objections, and the government is being lambasted for not doing anything about it.

I don't get it, I must live in a parallel universe here up north. I cannot count the number of new estates that have sprung up in the Ribble Valley in the last ten years, they are everywhere. Last week I was in the Castle grounds, there's a superb elevated view out towards the coast, what was most noticeable was the huge number of new tiled roofs you could see on the outskirts of Clitheroe, where not long ago you could see nothing but green fields. When you approach Clitheroe on the A59 you are greeted with a forest of yellow signs, directing prospective buyers presumably, to the new estates.

New housing estates have extended Clitheroe towards Whalley, they have extended Whalley towards Clitheroe, and in the middle Barrow has extended in all directions. It cannot be long before Whalley and Clitheroe are one and the same town. Whenever I travel elsewhere in the north it's the same story, new housing estates everywhere, just on one trip last week I saw several new ones going up just outside Harrogate and Knaresborough.

I'm baffled, just where is it difficult to get new houses built, it doesn't seem to be a problem in the parts of the north I frequent.
    Last edited by sinkov; 11-08-2022 at 08:58 AM.

Same down here in Cardiff.We used to live in a village but we are now swamped with new developments on every bit of green grass they can find.Tall narrow things they are as well and about 10 inches apart with garages that might take a Smart car providing you don't want to open the doors when you get in there.Prices are ridiculous.It isn't that long ago that I first saw a local house for sale at £100k,now those houses start at a million,young kids got no chance

Quote Originally Posted by barrie_burn View Post
    Same down here in Cardiff.We used to live in a village but we are now swamped with new developments on every bit of green grass they can find.Tall narrow things they are as well and about 10 inches apart with garages that might take a Smart car providing you don't want to open the doors when you get in there.Prices are ridiculous.It isn't that long ago that I first saw a local house for sale at £100k,now those houses start at a million,young kids got no chance
    Barrie, have you been up Llantrisant Road towards Creigiau lately?Its not an area I frequent that often, and I was shocked at the amount of development going on in that area. The problem being there’s no infra structure to handle the amount of vehicles used for commuting on a daily basis. Glad I live in sunny Canton , where everything is within walking distance. After your eye op let’s try and meet up .

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    Barrie, have you been up Llantrisant Road towards Creigiau lately?Its not an area I frequent that often, and I was shocked at the amount of development going on in that area. The problem being there’s no infra structure to handle the amount of vehicles used for commuting on a daily basis. Glad I live in sunny Canton , where everything is within walking distance. After your eye op let’s try and meet up .
    I drive up there nearly every day,I know.

Love to meet up when I can see again.If I could hear as well it would be great

I suspect that the «*crisis*» is in the south. As all Northeners know, the North does not count.

I was in England recently (Lancashire, Cheshire and Norfolk). Everywhere I went there were lots of new builds.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    I suspect that the «*crisis*» is in the south. As all Northeners know, the North does not count.

I was in England recently (Lancashire, Cheshire and Norfolk). Everywhere I went there were lots of new builds.
    Too true Swiss, even Northumberland is swamped by new housing projects and we have more sheep than people!

You invited 2 million Africans and Asians into your country just since 2020. Another million are coming this year. There's no end.

You can pull down every Green Belt in the UK; you'll never keep ahead of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Robus View Post
    You invited 2 million Africans and Asians into your country just since 2020. Another million are coming this year. There's no end.

You can pull down every Green Belt in the UK; you'll never keep ahead of it.
    Nigel Farage was pointing it out ten years ago, he was right then and he's even more right now, the problem is not a shortage of houses, it's too many people living here for our infrastructure to cope with. And still they come, a town the size of Burney arrives every few months, of course there's a housing shortage, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.
    Last edited by sinkov; 11-08-2022 at 07:46 PM.

15 million since Tony Blair's government decided to "rub the Tories noses in diversity" through mass immigration that nobody wanted. There are only 45 million English people in the world. A quarter the your population are foreign, and the ratio will grow. Look at violent ethnic mosaics like India or Nigeria for a glimpse of your future.

Last year sinkov we had a ride out for lunch and headed off towards Stonyhurst College, I was shocked at the destruction of the green belt from Hurst Green right into Stonyhurst.
    Housing developments were springing up everywhere without it seemed to me any regard for parking and the provision of schools and health care.
    While the idiots in Town & Country Planning destroy our green belts, brownfield sites inside Blackburn, Bolton and Burnley remain unused.
    Only the predominantly white middle class can afford to live in Stonyhurst and I think that's where the problem rises.
    The urbanisation inside the UK's large cities remains, places like Birmingham, Leeds, Manchester and huge areas of London have a major social housing black hole but developers would rather have the easy pickings of destroying the green belt areas such as the Ribble Valley because that's where the profit lies.
    Capitalism works a treat mon ami. NOT!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)