+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stevie Hammell gets the job

Stevie Hammell gets the job

Stevie Hammell is the new manager of Motherwell FC. His promoton comes after a 25 year relationship with the club.
    - link

Hope he can turn things around quickly, and has been given a minimum two year contract. He has to get new players in ASAP with priority a goalscorer and an imposing midfielder. Best of luck Stevie ����

I have the fear we've made a horrible mistake. Of the known candidates I would have preferred Simo, with a the different risks he carries, but good luck to Hammell. I doubt there's ever been a Motherwell manager people want to succeed more than him - which also makes me worried we'll give him too long...

I really hope he succeeds but have major concerns about this appointment and they way the club is being run in general.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyG View Post
    I really hope he succeeds but have major concerns about this appointment and they way the club is being run in general.
    Why? Everyone has sporting ups and downs, we're no different. But inherently the club is as financially stable as it has ever been, the academy is obviously functioning well, the community aspect is there, we've had two years of major renovations to FP etc.

We have a million things to complain about with the current first team and sure, like any other appointment, Hammell might be a disaster.

However, the long-term running of the club is - to me at least - a completely different matter. We definitely need a bit of a reset in terms of public perception, which you would hope the new media folk work on when appointed, but the long-term future is as safe as it can be given the vagaries of our core business being kicking a ball about.

All the best Stevie, I'm sure the vast majority of the support is right behind this appointment. I hope we don't judge him too quickly based on the current squad and its obvious shortcomings. We need to get right behind the team in the coming weeks in some cases regardless of results and performance or this could go badly wrong quickly. The next few weeks will be interesting to how he lines up the team and his selections.
    Mon the 'Well

Skippy makes a couple of good points. I think the majority of fans will be more patient because it is Hammy and give him a bit more time to turn things round, although, like all other clubs, we have some who just love to criticise and see themselves as some sort of football guru. Let’s hope even theses numpties give him some leeway - turning round this squad is a big job; not impossible, but a hard gig. We do need some new recruits - a defensive leader (Peter Hartley mentality but still able to move at a decent pace), a left back and a goal scorer. And a proper winger would be good.
    Good luck, Stevie. Most fans will be backing you. Anybody taking bets as to when his first grey hairs will appear?

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    Why? Everyone has sporting ups and downs, we're no different. But inherently the club is as financially stable as it has ever been, the academy is obviously functioning well, the community aspect is there, we've had two years of major renovations to FP etc.

We have a million things to complain about with the current first team and sure, like any other appointment, Hammell might be a disaster.

However, the long-term running of the club is - to me at least - a completely different matter. We definitely need a bit of a reset in terms of public perception, which you would hope the new media folk work on when appointed, but the long-term future is as safe as it can be given the vagaries of our core business being kicking a ball about.
    I'm not too concerned about the long term viability of the club. My concern is around the on park debacle and the appointment of someone so uninspiring and flawed as Alexander.

Then allowing some of the worst football ever witnessed at FP to continue when the right decision was to terminate Alexander at the end of last season. We were in a rut, going nowhere fast, and signing dross.

I think they've sought to address these concerns by appointing someone like Hammell.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodyG View Post
    I'm not too concerned about the long term viability of the club. My concern is around the on park debacle and the appointment of someone so uninspiring and flawed as Alexander.

Then allowing some of the worst football ever witnessed at FP to continue when the right decision was to terminate Alexander at the end of last season. We were in a rut, going nowhere fast, and signing dross.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome_Devil View Post
    I have the fear we've made a horrible mistake. Of the known candidates I would have preferred Simo, with a the different risks he carries, but good luck to Hammell. I doubt there's ever been a Motherwell manager people want to succeed more than him - which also makes me worried we'll give him too long...
    Yes, I too am fearful. while he is a modern day Well legend, he has no managerial experience. I would have thought we needed an older head in our position. But, good luck to him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)