+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Matchday Thread: Rams v Barnsley

Andy Carroll, we are probably the only club not to have overpaid for him. Although I heard a whisper we might be about to a week or so back

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Andy Carroll, we are probably the only club not to have overpaid for him. Although I heard a whisper we might be about to a week or so back
    As we're not allowed to pay loan/transfer/agent's fees this or next season and there's a wage cap in place I think the GP whisperer was yanking your chain

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    In the championship I'd agree, but he would be dropping down a level and is only 31 or thereabouts, his experience would I believe be a good addition at this level. However, the word from the club is its not happening.
    I agree that he could be useful (though I'm not convinced) but we have a number of front men who do a similar job (like McGoldrick and Collins) and for that reason I see as part of our past. I liked Waggy but if we have a limited budget I think there are other areas where any available funds could be better spent, a RB to name one.
    Anyway, it would seem he's not a target so it appears we are looking elsewhere.

Waggy might be currently injured.....

Here's a bit of news...... Barnsley have dropped their shirt sponsor hex.com with immediate effect. That means neither side will have a major shirt sponsor's name on their shirts tomorrow. When did that last happen in an EFL game?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    As we're not allowed to pay loan/transfer/agent's fees this or next season and there's a wage cap in place I think the GP whisperer was yanking your chain
    Think he's a free agent....but wages could prove a challenge

Waggy might be currently injured.....

Here's a bit of news...... Barnsley have dropped their shirt sponsor hex.com with immediate effect. That means neither side will have a major shirt sponsor's name on their shirts tomorrow. When did that last happen in an EFL game?
    No idea but it’ll be very welcome. Aren’t Hex.com some sort of crypto currency company? What have they done?

Good result for Barnsley midweek but I think they’ve got three players out tomorrow. Won’t be easy and it’ll be a late one with the novelty of drinks breaks but I fancy us. 3-1 win with Collins to break his duck against his namesake.

P.S. Waggy too injury prone for me. Won’t get better as he gets older.

For whatever reason, some sides "gel" "just like that. Five and a half weeks ago we had 5 players and many L1 sides were already 2 weeks into pre season so we are playing catch up. Over that time, a dozen or more new ones have arrived and new Academy products have appeared as well. From what I've seen thus far, we haven't fully "gelled" yet. Football is a game of partnerships and trios, up and down the pitch. The ideal situation is that you have 3, maybe 4, changes from last season and knitting those into a squad isn't, usually that difficult or time consuming. In our case we have new situations all over the park. Where does a player make his runs. Early or late, Steadily or does he suddenly spring into space. Where does he like the ball to come to him? High, low, fast, slow, right, left.....

When Chester and McG are fit, they will need to "gel" too.... if they get straight in, that is. It's probably going to be mid September or thereabouts before we see the "automatic" actions where passes get spread without even looking because you know player X is either there, ready and waiting or he's about to start the run which will get him there simultaneously with the ball. Usually players are only having to get used to a couple of newbies. Our players currently have a newbie left of them, right of them, in front and behind. A lot of assimilation to be done. We've also got Knight out of position with the extra handicap of "learning a new role".

There is talk of more incoming as well. Even Waggy, if the rumours are true, will have to bed in as the current starting line up only contains 4 players he played with at Derby and one of those, an attacking MF is currently at right back.....

Barnsley will do what Barnsley do when we play them. They'll run and run. They'll harry. They'll press. They'll be physical and try to ruffle feathers. They'll play direct route 1 football and we don't do well against that.

They've sold around 900 tickets. We still have 4 and a bit K to sell. It's holiday time and folk are away. I expect a crowd of between 26K and 27K. They'll spur the lads on as usual. 1-0 Collins.
    Run and run? Harry? Press? Direct route one football? You're thinking of the team two seasons ago that reached the play offs whereas last season they just learned to lose one way or another.

If Saturdays's game is refereed by Pierluigi Collina, we'll get a deserved 1-1 draw. But since it won't and the ref will give the noisiest set of supporters the key decisions, I'll go for a 2-0 win to you.
    Last edited by GUNTERYY36; 12-08-2022 at 01:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    Run and run? Harry? Press? Direct route one football? You're thinking of the team two seasons ago that reached the play offs whereas last season they just learned to lose one way or another.

If Saturdays's game is refereed by Pierluigi Collina, we'll get a deserved 1-1 draw. But since it won't and the ref will give the noisiest set of supporters the key decisions, I'll go for a 2-0 win to you.
    Hiya Gunt, noisiest set of supporters swaying the ref? If that was true we'd have got promoted last season rather than going down, even with the -21.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I was thinking more of the players we have actually had and overpaid both transfer fees and wages!!

Waghorn rumour was a daily fail story - normally on sport they are quite accurate, but not this time it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I was thinking more of the players we have actually had and overpaid both transfer fees and wages!!

Waghorn rumour was a daily fail story - normally on sport they are quite accurate, but not this time it seems.
    Daily Fail has been wide of the mark on DCFC an awful lot over the past 3 or 4 years. Crap, basically.

Story also cut & pasted by the usual clickbait suspects. Cov manager has now come out and said DCFC hasn't even made contact about Waggy.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)