+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old faces return

Old faces return

Barnsley Football Club announce key positions in our Academy.

Joining the Club as our new Senior Professional Development Coach, is Nicky Eaden who returns to Oakwell after 22 years!

The 49-year-old enjoyed close to a decade in the first team at the Club, making well over 300 appearances, most notably helping the Reds to promotion to the Premier League in 1997.

Eaden has spent time with the likes of Rotherham United, Coventry City and Leicester City in a coaching capacity, whilst most recently spending a year in Jamaica with Mount Pleasant.

Also making a return to the Club is Nick Colgan, who joins as Academy Goalkeeping Coach. The Irishman, now 48, spent four years at Oakwell between 2004 and 2008, famously helping the Reds to promotion in the 2006 League One Play-Off Final.

Nick has previously enjoyed coaching spells with Huddersfield Town, Wigan Athletic and most recently, at Nottingham Forest.

Academy Manager, Bobby Hassell expressed his delight at adding two vastly experienced individuals to the ranks, who bring a wealth of knowledge back to a Club they proudly represented in their playing careers.

“Both have obviously played for the club, but Nicky has also been in the shoes of the under 18s having come through the academy here to get to the first team, so it’s ***** from that aspect and, ultimately, they’re both highly qualified coaches with lots of experience of working in academies and at first team level.

“I’m over the moon that they’re both here. Nick Colgan was initially just coming in to help at the end of last season and he’s committed to staying on now; he’s probably one of the best goalkeeping coaches I’ve seen.”

Stay tuned to our official channels next week for interviews with both Eaden and Colgan as they settle into their new roles here at Oakwell.

Best of luck to them both .

Positive sign fo me bringing back 2 excellent professionals who served this club very well as players. It certainly beats some no mark who wiv nivver heard o coming in and doing this role.

Eaden knows what it teks and knows the fabric of this club and its supporters- he's living proof and can inspire the young talent and tell em exactly what's required to break through and succeed.

Colgan was an under rated keeper whilst here imo. He was a very good pro and never let this club down. OK, the howler in the play off final but he certainly had the last laugh that day! Otherwise he was very consistent and reliable.

All the best to both of them and welcome back fellas.

Why do we do good stuff like this? And then such bad stuff to undermine it? Colgan would have made a good first team coach.
    Is there anyone at the club in a position of “standards and ethics manager” ?

I’d like to suggest Animal or SB for the post .

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    Why do we do good stuff like this? And then such bad stuff to undermine it? Colgan would have made a good first team coach.

We have a post already Jules that is meant to oversee standards and ethics in our systems, policies and procedures. It is the Chief Executive Officer. But that is for another thread.

Good luck to Eaden and Colgan.

Welcome back E & C - Nice to see!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post

You wouldn't get me or I suspect SB working for that lot down there for double my years salary Jules .

Thanks for the endorsement though , not sure I'm that well qualified mind .

Great news

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    You wouldn't get me or I suspect SB working for that lot down there for double my years salary Jules .

Thanks for the endorsement though , not sure I'm that well qualified mind .
    I have already, in the last hour, been offered and accepted the post Jules.

I look forward to drawing on Paul's experience and example over his time here, and working with Chein, Grace, Julie, Neerav, James and Jean but most of all learning from Khaled about being a successful CEO at a football club.

Good to see Jeremiah back at the club again. 👍

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast