+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: V Watford

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    We had 4 short corners that came to nothing,(do we practice set pieces?), then we tried a long ball in and looked more dangerous.
    Only Westwood can land a corner and sadly he's crocked.

I don’t think we practice set pieces, not like we’re used to... delivery into the box and a finish on goal. And I think VK, as mentioned by several before, is copying Pep from when VK played for City. VK said he is all about scoring goals and that would be the focus. I think he will find the championship harder than the Belgian league and that Peps style has been taught and studied at every managerial level in England the last 10 years.
    But it still is more entertaining than what we’ve been watching the last two seasons. I also think that for VK to take over the team if we had survived in the PL would have been a disaster. Now he’s got time to grow as a manager and build a team and style that can compete at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by WillPark View Post
    I don’t think we practice set pieces, not like we’re used to... delivery into the box and a finish on goal. And I think VK, as mentioned by several before, is copying Pep from when VK played for City. VK said he is all about scoring goals and that would be the focus. I think he will find the championship harder than the Belgian league and that Peps style has been taught and studied at every managerial level in England the last 10 years.
    But it still is more entertaining than what we’ve been watching the last two seasons. I also think that for VK to take over the team if we had survived in the PL would have been a disaster. Now he’s got time to grow as a manager and build a team and style that can compete at this level.
    The Championship is a real meat grinder but I agree with you WP that our relegation from the PL may prove more of a help than a hindrance to VK. Our short corners at Watford were poorly executed. Some work on the training ground needed on these. Our good friend Schadenfreude is having some real fun in the PL in our absence. Loving the woes at Old Trafford and Goodison.

I think that short corner routine has been worked on in training, it didn't just occur out of the blue, but this lot have only been together a relatively short time, some things aren't going to work right away. Having said that, it was hard to see just what those short corners were trying to achieve, what the plan was, whatever it was they failed miserably, back to the drawing board down Gawthorpe methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I think that short corner routine has been worked on in training, it didn't just occur out of the blue, but this lot have only been together a relatively short time, some things aren't going to work right away. Having said that, it was hard to see just what those short corners were trying to achieve, what the plan was, whatever it was they failed miserably, back to the drawing board down Gawthorpe methinks.
    I think it's an effort to fool the defenders who know they are being fooled by a set of fools who forget why they are being fools, if that makes any sense mon ami.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I think it's an effort to fool the defenders who know they are being fooled by a set of fools who forget why they are being fools, if that makes any sense mon ami.
    It's just done in order to give us fans something to talk about or complain about and takes our minds off the fact that we are not scoring goals. Good ploy.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I just think they believe possession play is more of an advantage then a ball into the box... more then not a ball into the box from a corner ends up with the opposition getting the ball. For a team of defenders it a golden opportunity to get a shot on goal, but for Pep it was giving the ball away.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)