+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: No Charlie Slater

Will this be a regular situation or just a one-off? His commentary was dire and strikes me as very old school, meat and potatoes with not a lick of charisma.

Hope the dream team is reunited for Gateshead.

Quote Originally Posted by tommopie8 View Post
    Will this be a regular situation or just a one-off? His commentary was dire and strikes me as very old school, meat and potatoes with not a lick of charisma. Hope the dream team is reunited for Gateshead.
    I think Charlie Slater fancies moving on to bigger and better things in sports/football commentary and Notts County was supposed to be his first major step in that direction. He's probably figured he won't attract much headhunting attention if he's not even technically on the airwaves anymore, relegated to the broadcasting hinterland that is doing online commentaries to a few hundred listeners, so I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't either the start of a gradual move away from being lead Notts commentator, or perhaps even the end of the line.

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    I've garter hand it to you for the punnery.
    A little bird told me he has Basque heritage.

Listening today, I gotta say I prefer Bracegirdle in terms of style and delivery. He doesn't have the accumulated knowledge or familiarity level with Stall, but he did a very solid job and I didn't squirm through jokes that aren't funny or have to listen to dodgy opinions. In the lockdown, Charlie once served up a matey 'interview with Jon Stead' on the day another play-off attempt bit the dust. Maybe it's just that I can't get over!

More worrying is that if, as seems likely Charlie Slater is off to greener pastures, how long before Stall gets fed up and b*ggers off. Dave Bracegirdle annoyed me immensely by calling us County and continued to make a point of saying what a soft penalty it was that benefitted from (so what). Comments like 'you aren't missing any football because they are just playing it across the back three' was also poor.
    I know Leigh Curtis wasn't everyone's cup of tea, but at least he put content in the EP, was a constant on reporting all things Notts.
    It would be a huge blow for Notts to lose Colin and Charlie Slater along with Leigh Curtis and Mark Stallard within such a short time frame.

Sounds like it could be a regular occurrence according to Twitter. He’ll be there for Tuesday night, but then goes onto saying he’s covering more Radio 5 live games from now on and it’s been arranged since last season.
    Sounds like he’s on the way to the exit sign from the Lane.

Quote Originally Posted by Magpies1959 View Post
    Comments like 'you aren't missing any football because they are just playing it across the back three' was also poor.
    Poor, or an accurate description?

Some seem to see defenders passing sideways and backwards on the edge of their penalty area as 'good football'.

I must be missing something.

I've found that being in possession of the ball is usually better than not being in possession regardless of where it is on the field.

No need to panic Captain Mainwaring,no need to launch it aimlessly forward safely onto the opposing centre halves head.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    I've found that being in possession of the ball is usually better than not being in possession regardless of where it is on the field.

No need to panic Captain Mainwaring,no need to launch it aimlessly forward safely onto the opposing centre halves head.
    As expected, the 'hoofball' example is used by you. It doesn't have to be polar opposites, there is a middle ground. I remember Barrow totally outplaying us at home. They didn't piss around at the back, they moved the ball quickly and cut us to pieces. If you've got the ball the opposition can't score, but if you've got the ball on the edge of your penalty area neither can you.

Where does 'panic' come from? It's a discussion FFS, and it was an interesting one until you decided to patronise yet again.

Exactly there is a middle ground , if you are keeping the ball, and passing on the deck then to me it's good football wherever it is on the field.

I remember so many sides (Oxford, Yeovil Plymouth etc) coming to Meadow Lane over the years and playing us off the park, playing with a plan, a purpose. I sat there on Row S in the main stand and was jealous.

You are right if you've got the ball the opponents are very unlikely to score. I've been on the away terraces, and in the Derek Pavis many a time, I've heard the impatience, I've witnessed the uncomfortableness on too many times to mention. That is the panic , have you never seen that?

Are you still blinkered and claiming only I patronise, or did you read 1959s not long after your previous comments , perfect timing btw. You probably turned a blind eye

Open your eyes it's everywhere it's a football message board after all#viva

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast