+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: 30 Years of The Premiership

30 Years of The Premiership

Did it signal the end of football as we knew and loved it or has it improved the English game? Obviously it's improved player's wages and the state of many bank accounts but has that resulted in the demise/near demise of many who chase the promised land?

Interestingly, 30 years ago this weekend Oldham Athletic were drawing 1-1 at Chelsea. Yesterday, despite a late scare they opened their non-league account with a 3-2 win over Dorking Wanderers.

What were we doing 30 years ago? Having just won promotion from the 4th Division we opened our 3rd Division campaign with a 2-0 win on a long trip to Exeter City. No doubt a few Millers will have had a weekend away in sunny Devon.

Quote Originally Posted by CAMiller View Post
    Did it signal the end of football as we knew and loved it or has it improved the English game? Obviously it's improved player's wages and the state of many bank accounts but has that resulted in the demise/near demise of many who chase the promised land?

Interestingly, 30 years ago this weekend Oldham Athletic were drawing 1-1 at Chelsea. Yesterday, despite a late scare they opened their non-league account with a 3-2 win over Dorking Wanderers.

What were we doing 30 years ago? Having just won promotion from the 4th Division we opened our 3rd Division campaign with a 2-0 win on a long trip to Exeter City. No doubt a few Millers will have had a weekend away in sunny Devon.
    I remember someone who we went to Exeter with that day.travelled all that way and he went for a Gypsy”s and missed both goals…!.

Good year was '92

With respect to the money, was just reading about a spat between Jessie Lingard and Jamie Carragher who accused Lingard of going to Forest for the money (reported at somewhere between 115K and 200K a week). In response Lingard is quoted in saying "I could have gone abroad for a lot of money. Life changing money". It's good to know that somewhere between 5M and 10M for a year's work isn't considered life changing money when what he's being paid a week would be life changing money in itself to the average family.

No idea why lingard gets so much stick. Frozen out at Man Utd so no other option than to leave.
    It’s not up to him how much forest are willing to pay him.
    He has a good game yesterday.

30 years … wow!

Well it’s certainly brought in the mega millions in sponsorship etc but sadly, the cash doesn’t filter down, even in a small amount, to the lower leagues.

And now they are hounding souness out now for saying” it’s a man’s game again”…after chelsea match yesterday ….thing is my mind is that tuned now I knew as soon as he said it people would be at him and taking it out of context again…but I still knew what he meant…