+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Goalkeeper

Or birighitti turns out to be Rakovan, and the FInn Siegrist, but they haven’t shown much confidence in him to suggest that’s the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Bannons boots View Post
    I seem to have been saying for years that despite change of players & managements we must be one of the easiest teams to play against due to our complete lack of pressing the opposition. We can barely get 2 steps forward anywhere on the pitch before our players are challenged closely. We on the other hand allow teams to stroll out from their penalty area up to the halfway line with no one bothering their arse about it. The continuing complete lack of urgency, tempo & dig does my head in. & its way past time the players took it upon themselves to get things changed. These charlatans cost managers their jobs with their feeble efforts.
    Over the past 2 years we have been a very difficult team to play against. That seems to be disappearing fast though, that's worrying IMHO.

I know it seems dramatic but we really need to win our next match, in any way possible...

Eriksson has to start against St Mirren. He has to be given a chance in a competitive game. He is an international capped keeper. Won the keeper of the season in the Swedish top league. Competition for places is crucial. If the one in possession isn't performing you have to change it. What is the point otherwise?

Quote Originally Posted by Arabs4ever View Post
    Eriksson has to start against St Mirren. He has to be given a chance in a competitive game. He is an international capped keeper. Won the keeper of the season in the Swedish top league. Competition for places is crucial. If the one in possession isn't performing you have to change it. What is the point otherwise?
    Neither keeper looks good enough. Neither of them anywhere near the level of Benji. Our league is full of very good keepers, sadly we dont have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabs4ever View Post
    I don’t see how Birighitti gets more reliable. He is not big and commanding.

He has made two bad errors and then at other times he has not taken crosses and he has not saved shots from distance that at least 50% of keepers in league would save

It’s really costly not having a good keeper and it is costing us goals

Add to that the defence obviously don’t have confidence in him and it becomes a really bad cycle

Some players are better than matches than training. I don’t know enough about the Finn but if we can not bring in another keeper then surely this is the time to look at him

This sadly reminds me of relegation season when we started with 2 or 3 not good enough keepers competing for the place

Luis Zwick was used initially and cost us a lot of important points including the home 2-2 with the funsters which I think was a bad turning point. If we had won that Jackie not as sacked as early and imho I don’t think we’d have gone down. Mixu was a worse manager than Jackie but we struggled all season due to lack of a decent keeper

Surely the GK coach has a big influence in who plays on matchday.! Ericsson despite the own goal debacle hasn't looked that bad has he ??

Quote Originally Posted by bannon_ftd_83 View Post
    Neither keeper looks good enough. Neither of them anywhere near the level of Benji. Our league is full of very good keepers, sadly we dont have one.

While I agree it's looking dodgy, we kept a cleansheet at home to AZ with him in goal and he made a couple good saves, only two sides better than AZ in our league will visit Tannadice

Plus regardless of what happened on Thurs, the livi and hearts games were going to be tougher due to our exertions on the Thurs nights, bit early to be panicking, those games feel kindly for our opponents

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    While I agree it's looking dodgy, we kept a cleansheet at home to AZ with him in goal and he made a couple good saves, only two sides better than AZ in our league will visit Tannadice
    He really didn't have much to do that night though did he. Still looked dodgey a few times in that 1st half. I blamed it on the sun. I was wrong, he is just a really dodgey keeper. We can't afford to go into the season as him as our nunber one. If we do id put big money on us being relegated.

Goalkeeper the position you can least get away with, unless you have a brilliant defensive unit that restricts opponents to few chances. At the moment we don't have that luxury, we are carrying forward last season's scoring form, but no longer looking as secure at the back. Those tight win margins last season will easy turn to tight loses with a error prone keeper.

even without a defensive mid, No reason we shouldn't be able to at least replicate the organisation and solidity we had against Alkmaar at home, with a bit more going forward.

Page 3 of 88 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)