+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Goalkeeper

Goalkeeper

After 5 matches my assessment of Birighitti is that whilst he can distribute the ball well and be mobile he is seriously deficient at stopping shots and dealing with crosses

Livi shot was a type that I reckon 50% of top level keepers would stop

Alkmaar and Hearts away - compete disaster and cost any realistic chance in those important matches

At best he is not ready yet to play in Scottish premier - question if he will ever be ready but he certainly isn’t good enough for us if we are to have any chance

The Finn has been on the books for a reasonable amount of time now. The assessment made of him appears to be that he is also not good enough

If he was good enough would expect he’d have started today

I don’t know what Jack Newman is like - been on loan at Peterhead a while. Jimmy Mc presumably rates him. Very young and don’t know if he is ready

Other option is Zander Clark but we’d have to sell on, move on and get rid of others presumably to make this happen

Goalkeeper is the key position.

It’s no mistake Sir Alex has players like schmeichel to win him all those matches.

Our own success was built on strong keepers

This needs sorted pronto

Football fans often think they know better than the manager but you have to put your faith in Jack Ross and his decision to sign Birighitti will not be overturned due to a few supporters. This is an international goalkeeper who United were delighted to have signed. He has 1 clean sheet in europe

I would worry about the other end of the pitch, last season tou scored very few goals and this season…..you have only scored 3 goals in 5 games, one of them todays Penalty.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Bear View Post
    Football fans often think they know better than the manager but you have to put your faith in Jack Ross and his decision to sign Birighitti will not be overturned due to a few supporters. This is an international goalkeeper who United were delighted to have signed. He has 1 clean sheet in europe

I would worry about the other end of the pitch, last season tou scored very few goals and this season…..you have only scored 3 goals in 5 games, one of them todays Penalty.

Edward Ursidae, your sentiments carry some merit, but one serious goalkeeping error can cost us matches. At the reverse end, a striker may miss a sitter, the equivalent of a keeper letting in a weak goal, yet the significance and consequences can be poles apart. All good teams are built from the back. Either the Aussie keeper comes good and quickly, or we are goosed. It may be that Birri is suffering from a lack of confidence at the moment and may come through it? I certainly hope so.

As you have rightly identified, as has every Utd supporter, we have many flaws all over the park at the moment, including an inability to net. One glaring flaw that virtually every other team we face, exposes, is our off the ball play. We often wait for things to happen, whereas other teams are running about trying to make things happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Bear View Post

I am not sure why you are still on this board and post on here

If you actually went to united matches and were a United supporter you would know what is going on in our matches

Jack Ross will know the Aussie is no good and needs punted

I don’t know if you are on the wind up or deliberately trying to be annoying and destroy threads on here. If that is your aim well done as you are succeeding 👏

It will obviously be scouting network that identified Birighitti not Jack Ross.

He’s not good enough and that is obvious to anyone watching United matches

Question is what we do next

We need a new keeper it is that simple. He isn't tall or commanding which for me is a big red flag straight away. He is simply dodgey as hell. Reminds me of the Karius situation at Liverpool.

I cant enjoy watching us now. Any time we are being attacked im nervous as **** its awful.

Our goalkeeping errors have killed the chances of a comeback. It is obvious to all. What happens next is crucial to our season.

No idea what he was doing at the third yesterday. He has to hold it. He made one big error that cost us a goal in an otherwise decent game for him. There were plenty of outfield players far more culpable for yesterdays embarrassment than the goalkeeper imo.

Yeah, I agree. He flogged the third goal but the defending again was piss poor throughout. It's a proper worry too be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Yeah, I agree. He flogged the third goal but the defending again was piss poor throughout. It's a proper worry too be honest.
    Think it works both ways to be honest. Defence will likely be much more solid if they have confidence in the keeper. Likewise the keeper will likely be more solid if he has full confidence in his defence. Now as for yesterday. Shocking defending in the first 42 secs to go immediately 1 behind so any reaction that might have come from Thurs shot to pieces straight away. Keeper then for me was at fault for their 2nd and the less said about their 3rd the better. As you said TTT Worrying Times indeed.

I reckon the defence will come good but only if we ditch the aussie keeper. He is one of those guys who will make brilliant saves but always be vulnerable to flogging goals. The negatives outweigh the positives. He has to go.

Page 1 of 88 1231151 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)