+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 88 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Thread: Goalkeeper

Quote Originally Posted by shedka View Post
    Plus regardless of what happened on Thurs, the livi and hearts games were going to be tougher due to our exertions on the Thurs nights, bit early to be panicking, those games feel kindly for our opponents
    ^^^ defo this

Quote Originally Posted by bannon_ftd_83 View Post
    He really didn't have much to do that night though did he. Still looked dodgey a few times in that 1st half. I blamed it on the sun. I was wrong, he is just a really dodgey keeper. We can't afford to go into the season as him as our nunber one. If we do id put big money on us being relegated.
    I agree.

He might have a couple of ok matches and then make another mistake

Can’t go through the season with a keeper that loses points and that the team don’t have confidence in

Celtic paid 4.5 million quid for Barkas and soon found out he wasn't up to it and got rid. Our top management aren't stupid and can surely see we need to act on this now. Could prove much more costly than the fee we have paid.

Benji kept us in games by his heroics.
    We will take bad with a keeper that flogs the game.
    It's energy sapping to go from 2-1 down to 3-1 down due to goalie error.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim_Jam View Post
    Benji kept us in games by his heroics.
    We will take bad with a keeper that flogs the game.
    It's energy sapping to go from 2-1 down to 3-1 down due to goalie error.
    And Benji was prone to a large number of mistakes before and after Rakovan, only reducing this to one a game towards the end.

The way im seeing this is Birigitti has uplifted his family across the world, not been in long enough to christen the toilet in a time where the manager is hardly in the door as well. On top of that we had back to back games where i actually think now that the players who had their first taste of Europe were maybe a wee bit overwhelmed.

Willing to give the keeper more time, but will i say the same after Saturday?

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    And Benji was prone to a large number of mistakes before and after Rakovan, only reducing this to one a game towards the end.

The way im seeing this is Birigitti has uplifted his family across the world, not been in long enough to christen the toilet in a time where the manager is hardly in the door as well. On top of that we had back-to-back games where i actually think now that the players who had their first taste of Europe were maybe a wee bit overwhelmed.

id think the same if he was making errors like dropping a cross, bad pass out or missing the corner v AZ, things that could be put down to nerves etc.... but the most worrying thing for me is he looks a very poor shot-stopper, 3/4 of the shots he has conceded in last 3 games should have been saved, that's not a poor error of judgment... that's just being a poor keeper.

The way im seeing this is Birigitti has uplifted his family across the world, not been in long enough to christen the toilet in a time where the manager is hardly in the door as well. On top of that we had back to back games where i actually think now that the players who had their first taste of Europe were maybe a wee bit overwhelmed.

A large number of mistakes is utter nonsense. He made a few towards the end like you say but still his saves kept us in so many games over a really solid 3 year period. He is by far our best keeper in my lifetime supporting United. You make it sound like he wasn't very good for us.

Quote Originally Posted by bannon_ftd_83 View Post
    A large number of mistakes is utter nonsense. He made a few towards the end like you say but still his saves kept us in so many games over a really solid 3 year period. He is by far our best keeper in my lifetime supporting United. You make it sound like he wasn't very good for us.
    Please dont try and create a different meaning to my comments! He made many mistakes after he dislodged Rakovan and didnt become solid until after a run of games and a proper defence was put in front of him.

But solid as a shot stopper is all he became, because other aspects of a goalkeepers game were just not there and i would not even see him in my top 10, never mind top 5 or even best! Your user name is interesting if that alludes to how long you have been a supporter, because in that time ive seen in no particular order....

Hamish,
    Thompson,
    Main,
    Sieb,
    Guido,
    The Monk,
    Rado,
    Zaluska
    Pernis,
    Combe,
    Gallacher,
    Maxwell,
    Bullock,
    Bell,

Thats 14 before i even think about Benji, but some of those had very shaky starts as well, but they were all given time, and i think Birigitti needs that as well.

Please dont try and create a different meaning to my comments! He made many mistakes after he dislodged Rakovan and didnt become solid until after a run of games and a proper defence was put in front of him.

But solid as a shot stopper is all he became, because other aspects of a goalkeepers game were just not there and i would not even see him in my top 10, never mind top 5 or even best! Your user name is interesting if that alludes to how long you have been a supporter, because in that time ive seen in no particular order....

Hamish,
    Thompson,
    Main,
    Sieb,
    Guido,
    The Monk,
    Rado,
    Zaluska
    Pernis,
    Combe,
    Gallacher,
    Maxwell,
    Bullock,
    Bell,

Thats 14 before i even think about Benji, but some of those had very shaky starts as well, but they were all given time, and i think Birigitti needs that as well.
    Yeah i suppose my username maybe does make it unclear. Ive been going to games since 94. Wouldn't put most of that list near Benji though. Listen i hope you are right and that a bit of time he does come good but its not looking likely. The last time i was this terrified of a keeper was Stillie, and he even looks more solid than Birigitti. Playing out from the back wasn't really Benjis thing but thats a more modern side to the game now that most keeper listed above were never really expected to do.

I wonder if it’s worth getting Rakovan back at the club in a coaching capacity?

Page 4 of 88 FirstFirst ... 234561454 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)