+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- thoughts on the outrage of Souness ‘it’s a man’s game’ comment

O/T:- thoughts on the outrage of Souness ‘it’s a man’s game’ comment

Sky Sports pundit Graeme Souness says he does not regret describing football as "a man's game" after Chelsea's fiery 2-2 draw with Tottenham.

His comments drew criticism from Chelsea striker and Euro 2022 winner Beth England and ex-England international Eniola Aluko.

Souness was analysing the physical nature of the game and referee Anthony Taylor's approach.

"It's a man's game all of a sudden again," Souness said on Sunday.

"I think we've got our football back, as I would enjoy football - men at it, blow for blow, and the referee letting them get on with it."

Former Liverpool and Scotland midfielder Souness was sitting beside Karen Carney, who won 144 caps for England.

Presenter Dave Jones immediately added: "It's also a woman's game as well."

It followed a dramatic London derby at Stamford Bridge which ended in an angry confrontation between managers Thomas Tuchel and Antonio Conte. Both were shown red cards after the final whistle.

Aluko responded to Souness' remarks on social media, writing: "Awkward turtles, Graeme Souness talking about 'it's a man's game again' sat next to an England centurion Karen Carney, two weeks after the Lionesses end a 56-year wait and win European Championships. Come on. It's not OK."

England, who was in Sarina Wiegman's Euros-winning squad, said: "What a disgraceful thing to say after the summer this country has just seen."

Speaking to Talksport on Monday, 69-year-old Souness said he regretted "not a word" of what he said in Sunday's broadcast.

"Let me explain," he said. "I've been advocating for years that the referees have such a major part to play in the success of the Premier League.

"We've got to be careful what we say today and I've not been very good at that, but we were becoming like other leagues.

"The refs were blowing the whistle all the time, the game didn't flow and it just wasn't a very good watch. Our game has always been unique, always been more meaty, more in our face, more intense and we've got away from that.

"Yesterday in my comments I said we've got our game back. That's the kind of football I remember playing. Our league will be better for it - we are back."

Later in a statement released through Sky, Souness said: "To clarify my comments from yesterday, I was referring to the two Premier League matches I watched live on Sunday afternoon, rather than the sport of football.

"Football is a game for everyone to enjoy."

To add some context. I watched the games and the above comments were made when saying football was a better watch as players are not getting cheap free kicks for the slightest contact. He was right in that the game flowed and players rolling round like they had been shot was minimal.

What are peoples thoughts on this? I’m intrigued to know whether anyone feels like me that literally nothing can be said due to fear of offending someone. The phrase ‘it’s a man’s game’ has always been the physical element of football for me, and I think Souness is the same. Players flying in to tackles etc.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 15-08-2022 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Fixed off topic prefix

When the Spurs player pulled Cucurella's hair the opportunity to state that football is now a woman's game was missed.
    Last edited by Old_pie; 15-08-2022 at 05:29 PM. Reason: missing "player"

Don't we live in a country that supposedly has free-speech! perhaps he should have said "its a persons game"

Overblown reaction in my opinion, I think he meant the term "man's game" to mean it is a physical game not a non contact sport where players roll over 20 times in apparent agony because someone trod on their shoelace.

Has there been genuine outrage?

Souness has had to defend his comments, thing is nowadays a few vocal people on line can make an issue larger than it is if they are given the platform to do it

I wonder what John McGovern thinks.....

Quote Originally Posted by bule1 View Post
    Overblown reaction in my opinion, I think he meant the term "man's game" to mean it is a physical game not a non contact sport where players roll over 20 times in apparent agony because someone trod on their shoelace.
    Vinnie Jones and Gazza springs to mind. Definitely a "man'sgame"!

Quote Originally Posted by BanjoPie View Post
    Don't we live in a country that supposedly has free-speech! perhaps he should have said "its a persons game"
    We generally have ‘free speech’ as a country, I’m not sure you can say what you like on telly channels though…

Outrage is perhaps overstating the reaction to Souness’ comments, apart from the usual rent a quoters like Aluko. Sky have got the rights to the WSL so they’re probably more sensitive to it than most, and Karen Carney was sitting next to him. I don’t really see what was wrong with it, everyone knows what he meant. Men’s and women’s football is different.

The game had to be more physical back in Souness' day, because the pitches would make amateur rugby pitches of today look like centre court come winter.

Football is still very much a contact sport, the challenges still fly in faster than ever it's just followed by more rolls on the floor.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast