+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: ... and Sutton Utd

Was not convinced by the performance tonight. I really hope Mcdonald is fit again as BSD is vulnerable to be turned and is so slow over a short distance. Him and Arthur inhabit different worlds when it comes to understanding. The latter really isn't inspiring much confidence being very hesitant to come off his line.
    Thought Offord had a great game. Uwakwe had 75% of a good game- some fantastic through balls. Ainley worked hard as did Agyei for 60 minutes. However, despite a very well taken goal, CBR was really irritating, constantly giving away unnecessary, and bloody obvious, fouls. Brooks huffed and puffed again but was prepared to shoot early.
    What was worrying was the return of the massive gap between midfield and the lone forward, meaning that we were constantly conceding the ball from hopeful long balls. I assume the tactic was the expected aerial barrage from lumped balls into the box so deep-lying midfielders could pick up the second ball. However, although the ball did spend a fair amount of time in the air, what actually happened was ground lost and a nervy last 20 minutes. Sutton wobbled under pressure from our pacy forwards but were not tested enough.
    Hope the tactics on Saturday resemble that of the opening game against Rochdale rather than those of last night.

Quote Originally Posted by CroutonRouge View Post
    A battling performance tonight, stood up the to the bullying well. A few shaky moments but overall a great effort. May be now we can have some respite from the wartman MikeSB show.
    Not sure last sentence was really necessary 🤔

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Not sure last sentence was really necessary ��

It very rarely is but it gives them a reason to post. A very poor game tonight with only 1 piece of quality which led to the goal, the keeper and BSD are liabilities a better team would have capitalised on their dilly dallying. Positives Offord and Mellor played well and Thomas worked hard to break up the Sutton play and made some very good passes. I thought it was telling tonight that quite a few players were out on their feet with 20 mins to go the time when the manager would use his bench that didn’t happen until the very dying embers of the game I don’t think AM has confidence in his fringe players and the bench was terrible resembled when DA was in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    It very rarely is but it gives them a reason to post. A very poor game tonight with only 1 piece of quality which led to the goal, the keeper and BSD are liabilities a better team would have capitalised on their dilly dallying. Positives Offord and Mellor played well and Thomas worked hard to break up the Sutton play and made some very good passes. I thought it was telling tonight that quite a few players were out on their feet with 20 mins to go the time when the manager would use his bench that didn’t happen until the very dying embers of the game I don’t think AM has confidence in his fringe players and the bench was terrible resembled when DA was in charge.
    Agree with Wartman post, the squad definitely needs more senior additions. The substitutions were only made at the end of the game to waste time. I'm sure the management realised this by not putting any of the subs on until late. They would have been eaten alive by marauding Sutton

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    It was a very poor game with only one team attempted to play any football. I disagree that BSD is a liability. I thought he did ok last night. A couple of moments where he made slight errors. The keeper is a different kettle of fish. He looks a bit panicky at times but he does seem to be fairly positive which is something we don't seem to have been saying about Trig or Will. He will make mistakes, it is why he is here. To learn. Offord was outstanding and I like Thomas. Mellor is steady and reliable. CBR looks a useful acquisition but not sure he will start when Long is fit.
    I am interested to see what happens with Finney senior who, since his injury a couple of seasons ago, has not regained the form when he first appeared. Personally, I would give him this season to make an impact but I would suggest that time is running out.

There was much criticism of Dave Artell's signings last season but Agyei and Uwakwe look good players and the latter is playing in a position other than he was signed for. A relative young squad and I expect them to improve as the season goes on and as injured players return our team will look better.

Referencing another thread where the inevitable argument against coaching and having "3 managers" on the touchline where only one is ever needed and two salaries could be saved, I think it appropriate to say that part of the problem with Artell was that he was literally doing everything. That doesn't work. For anyone. As for coaching, well every team in the world has coaching so why wouldn't we?

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    It was a very poor game with only one team attempted to play any football. I disagree that BSD is a liability. I thought he did ok last night. A couple of moments where he made slight errors. The keeper is a different kettle of fish. He looks a bit panicky at times but he does seem to be fairly positive which is something we don't seem to have been saying about Trig or Will. He will make mistakes, it is why he is here. To learn. Offord was outstanding and I like Thomas. Mellor is steady and reliable. CBR looks a useful acquisition but not sure he will start when Long is fit.
    I am interested to see what happens with Finney senior who, since his injury a couple of seasons ago, has not regained the form when he first appeared. Personally, I would give him this season to make an impact but I would suggest that time is running out.

There was much criticism of Dave Artell's signings last season but Agyei and Uwakwe look good players and the latter is playing in a position other than he was signed for. A relative young squad and I expect them to improve as the season goes on and as injured players return our team will look better.

Referencing another thread where the inevitable argument against coaching and having "3 managers" on the touchline where only one is ever needed and two salaries could be saved, I think it appropriate to say that part of the problem with Artell was that he was literally doing everything. That doesn't work. For anyone. As for coaching, well every team in the world has coaching so why wouldn't we?
    I enjoy reading this board and most posters actually and just responding to Timmy's comments in the last paragraph. Ermmm...

No, I won't write anymore as its boring and offensive to others here and to be honest I am a great lifelong fan of this club whatever happens and thank you to those who go the games and give us a nice report here..

Well I thought that it was a good solid performance and a welcome win. IMO it showed promise, but also feel that a good number of our players have to increase their efforts. At times we were sloppy.

I find the comments regarding BSD unbelievable. Slow. clumsy and a liability. For me he had an excellent game. Won every high crosses, good positioning, reads the game well and has good mobility. Offord the complete opposite. Lacks movement, never competes for high crosses, and not strong enough to be a CB. This year he has improved slightly but far from ready.

The comments about Arthur are so unfair and not helpful. These are his first real competitive games and he has to build his confidence. Yes he made a couple of mistakes but he made quite a few crucial saves. He is brave and does not hide. He is only young, for goodness sake give him time. Felt he had improved last night.

Certainly true that the bench didn't allow the options of fresh legs that would have helped - I'm sure Williams would have come off again as working back to full fitness, as he has every game till now - but as AM said about 6 senior players missing, 2 back on Saturday hopefully. Basically couldn't afford to lose Uwakwe in CM to drop back to LB, no senior forward sub to liven it up up front, and indeed no real CH sub other than moving Williams from LB if needed. BUT - we scrapped out 3 points - and that's a great step forward.

Quote Originally Posted by lukcour View Post
    Well I thought that it was a good solid performance and a welcome win. IMO it showed promise, but also feel that a good number of our players have to increase their efforts. At times we were sloppy.

I find the comments regarding BSD unbelievable. Slow. clumsy and a liability. For me he had an excellent game. Won every high crosses, good positioning, reads the game well and has good mobility. Offord the complete opposite. Lacks movement, never competes for high crosses, and not strong enough to be a CB. This year he has improved slightly but far from ready.

The comments about Arthur are so unfair and not helpful. These are his first real competitive games and he has to build his confidence. Yes he made a couple of mistakes but he made quite a few crucial saves. He is brave and does not hide. He is only young, for goodness sake give him time. Felt he had improved last night.
    It is funny how opinions on individual players differ. Agree totally about BSD and the keeper, disagree totally about Offord. He is not the tallest but he reads the game quite well and I think he is one of our more consistent players and I thought he was one of our best last night. Not the best but not far off

I agree, Offord one of our best and most consistent players. Not slanging BSD and Arthur off, just saying that between them, at times, it was a bit nerve-wracking. Arthur, I feel, needs to use his height and build to his advantage and get stuck in.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast