+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Do we need creators or goal scorers ?

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    I need to point out that Harry took us into the "European Cup" which is now the champions league, Sean never did scale that high. While Sean had Garlick to contend with financial hardship. poor old Harry had to contend with Bob Lord.

I am not sure who had the biggest burden to be honest. However I don't think Sean would have survived nine year under Bob Lord.

In comparison Harry did inherit a good squad of players assembled by Allan Brown whereas the one inherited by Sean from Eddie Howe was not as good.
    Both really good managers who had to contend with Chairmen with differing views, however, both managers just got on with the job and were also instrumental in enabling the Board to improve the infrastructure of the club.
    It was a strange thing when Harry was replaced as manager and was moved 'upstairs' into a job that he thoroughly disliked because it was non-job! I think that this was just a ploy to ease him out because he packed in after two seasons.
    Allan Brown, Harry Potts and Sean Dyche are all managers in my time who I shall remember with great affection and I do not consider any better than the other.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Both really good managers who had to contend with Chairmen with differing views, however, both managers just got on with the job and were also instrumental in enabling the Board to improve the infrastructure of the club.
    It was a strange thing when Harry was replaced as manager and was moved 'upstairs' into a job that he thoroughly disliked because it was non-job! I think that this was just a ploy to ease him out because he packed in after two seasons.
    Allan Brown, Harry Potts and Sean Dyche are all managers in my time who I shall remember with great affection and I do not consider any better than the other.
    Sub, you appear to be the same era as myself, having seen the best football ever produced by a Burnley team.

I have to agree that replacing Harry Potts with Jimmy Adamson was the second biggest mistake Bob Lord every made, the first was selling Jimmy Mcilroy. While selling Jimmy Mac may have been good from a business side it certainly lost the club many supporters.

As an aside it was rumoured that Jimmy Adamson was offered the England managers job when Walter Winterbottom left, before it was offered to Alf Ramsey. If this was so I often wondered if England would have won the world cup if Adamson had been the England manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Vintage Claret View Post
    Sub, you appear to be the same era as myself, having seen the best football ever produced by a Burnley team.

I have to agree that replacing Harry Potts with Jimmy Adamson was the second biggest mistake Bob Lord every made, the first was selling Jimmy Mcilroy. While selling Jimmy Mac may have been good from a business side it certainly lost the club many supporters.

As an aside it was rumoured that Jimmy Adamson was offered the England managers job when Walter Winterbottom left, before it was offered to Alf Ramsey. If this was so I often wondered if England would have won the world cup if Adamson had been the England manager.
    Jimmy Adamson was indeed offered the England job before Alf Ramsey and it would be pure conjecture as to whether or not we would have won the World Cup, however, Sir Alf got the job and won, so good luck to him.
    Jimmy Adamson had much to contend with in his career as a player and manager and much of it stemmed from his upbringing in Ashington and his family. I am not prepared to say any more than that, however, David Thomas does refer to the odd things in his book about Jimmy Adamson.

Of course, the biggest problem is that most fans think that everything is 'rosey' between players at a club, however, this is rarely the case and managers have to deal with it all the time, just as in any other job. That's life!

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Jimmy Adamson was indeed offered the England job before Alf Ramsey and it would be pure conjecture as to whether or not we would have won the World Cup, however, Sir Alf got the job and won, so good luck to him.
    Jimmy Adamson had much to contend with in his career as a player and manager and much of it stemmed from his upbringing in Ashington and his family. I am not prepared to say any more than that, however, David Thomas does refer to the odd things in his book about Jimmy Adamson.

Of course, the biggest problem is that most fans think that everything is 'rosey' between players at a club, however, this is rarely the case and managers have to deal with it all the time, just as in any other job. That's life!
    Jimmy Adamson is a legend in my book and I will not have a spurious word said against him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Jimmy Adamson is a legend in my book and I will not have a spurious word said against him.
    BT, although you quoted me, I never said a word against Jimmy and never will. He is very much a forgotten man in Ashington except that the football club do have a photo and a story about him in their stand. Not many local people know that he was Footballer of the Year before either of the Charltons, in fact they look in amazement when you ask which three Ashington lads won the award!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)