+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truss puts her foot in it again

Truss puts her foot in it again

Following on from Sunak's earlier criticism of her for labelling British workers "lazy" in 2012's "Britain Unchained" which she co-authored, she's been reported to have passed similar comments again recently. Of course we all know of lazy workers which annoy us all but this is really down to poor management which enables this in the first place and there are very many more hard working people (who are often comparatively poorly paid). If there is still a gap in productivity between the UK and others it is far more likely due to poor management or lack of investment in technology than lazy workers! Can't blame it on the unions and "work to rule" anymore either as those days are (thankfully) gone regardless of current RMT action.

As for Sunak, he claims the Conservatives are the party to reward hard work. Complete b ollox! There are plenty of hard workers in this country on c rap pay. It would be nice if hard work was always rewarded but it isn't the case and the Tories are happy to see zero and low hour contracts that doesn't help the situation either.

Truss or Sunak. What a choice😞

Quote Originally Posted by Omegstrat6 View Post
    Following on from Sunak's earlier criticism of her for labelling British workers "lazy" in 2012's "Britain Unchained" which she co-authored, she's been reported to have passed similar comments again recently. Of course we all know of lazy workers which annoy us all but this is really down to poor management which enables this in the first place and there are very many more hard working people (who are often comparatively poorly paid). If there is still a gap in productivity between the UK and others it is far more likely due to poor management or lack of investment in technology than lazy workers! Can't blame it on the unions and "work to rule" anymore either as those days are (thankfully) gone regardless of current RMT action.

As for Sunak, he claims the Conservatives are the party to reward hard work. Complete b ollox! There are plenty of hard workers in this country on c rap pay. It would be nice if hard work was always rewarded but it isn't the case and the Tories are happy to see zero and low hour contracts that doesn't help the situation either.

Truss or Sunak. What a choice😞

Totally agree and awful choice but more trust in Truss. Many Brits are lazy and don’t have the same work ethic as other Europeans - look at hotel work or picking fruit. I could go on! Always had better overseas nationals in our warehouse than Brits.

My view is that those on long term benefits should be offered jobs and if declined - benefits should be reduced! Obviously there are exceptions.

I had no issue with the many Eu citizens who wanted to work here, I’ve usually found them to be hard working and very courteous and no task seems beneath them.

I do think that many Eastern European people do have a better work ethic than those in the U.K.

My objection was the mass dropping of Romanian gypsies into my then local area that brought a massive crime wave and lot of social problems to my patch.

If only we could keep out the wasters I’d let as many Eu people into the U.K. as want to come as long as they have a job.

Have worked with several EU workers and have to agree that most had a really good work ethic -though sometimes this worked against them as a few I knew tried to work 2 jobs virtually full time which only led to problems as they ended up being too knackered!

My point was that Truss purports to come from a working class background and says she aims to help the vast majority of working people but then comes out with comments like this that insinuate that much of the country 's problems lie with a lazy and unproductive workforce. I don't dispute that too many Brits-especially post furlough scheme-appear workshy but her comments are a kick in the teeth for the very great number of hard-working people in the country who are struggling financially-and I include all those "key workers" in predominantly poorly paid sectors who worked throughout the pandemic such as nhs staff, carers, retail workers, couriers, posties etc

Have worked with several EU workers and have to agree that most had a really good work ethic -though sometimes this worked against them as a few I knew tried to work 2 jobs virtually full time which only led to problems as they ended up being too knackered!

My point was that Truss purports to come from a working class background and says she aims to help the vast majority of working people but then comes out with comments like this that insinuate that much of the country 's problems lie with a lazy and unproductive workforce. I don't dispute that too many Brits-especially post furlough scheme-appear workshy but her comments are a kick in the teeth for the very great number of hard-working people in the country who are struggling financially-and I include all those "key workers" in predominantly poorly paid sectors who worked throughout the pandemic such as nhs staff, carers, retail workers, couriers, posties etc

I agree - and the crook Sunak went on record to say he was going to divert finances from poorer council to richer ones!

Don’t like Starmer but agree - the price cap should be frozen. Germany, France and Belgium are paying no where near what we pay for energy!!! Questions need to be asked why?

I don’t agree.

Most people won’t feel insulted by her comments, you only need feel offended if you know you’re not pulling your weight.

If the cap fits........

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    I had no issue with the many Eu citizens who wanted to work here, I’ve usually found them to be hard working and very courteous and no task seems beneath them.

I do think that many Eastern European people do have a better work ethic than those in the U.K.

My objection was the mass dropping of Romanian gypsies into my then local area that brought a massive crime wave and lot of social problems to my patch.

If only we could keep out the wasters I’d let as many Eu people into the U.K. as want to come as long as they have a job.
    We could have deported these people under EU law, when we were in the EU.

It was enshrined in EU treaty that we could deport EU nationals back to their country if they could not financially support themselves. Its the UK Governments fault for not enforcing this law.

So your last sentence was actually true, we could keep wasters out. And this is a good example of the misinformation that Farage and all preyed on.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post

It was enshrined in EU treaty that we could deport EU nationals back to their country if they could not financially support themselves. Its the UK Governments fault for not enforcing this law.

So your last sentence was actually true, we could keep wasters out. And this is a good example of the misinformation that Farage and all preyed on.
    As ever things are more complicated than they seem when it comes to the EU. Copied this from the Europa.eu site.

Can you be requested to leave or be deported?

You may live in the other EU country as long as you continue to meet the conditions for residence. If you no longer do so, the national authorities may require you to leave.

In exceptional cases, your host country can deport you on grounds of public policy or public security - but only if it can prove you represent a genuine, present and sufficiently serious threat affecting one of the fundamental interests of society.

The deportation decision or the request to leave must be given to you in writing. It must state all the reasons for your deportation and specify how you can appeal and by when.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA123 View Post

Rare for there to be any wasters from the EU as most took up hospitality jobs and worked hard. The ones we need to send back are those illegals coming in on dinghies. When people are running scared with the cost of living costs and huge energy bills nobody wants money chucking at these illegals. More so when many can’t eat or heat themselves!

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Rare for there to be any wasters from the EU as most took up hospitality jobs and worked hard. The ones we need to send back are those illegals coming in on dinghies. When people are running scared with the cost of living costs and huge energy bills nobody wants money chucking at these illegals. More so when many can’t eat or heat themselves!
    Tell that to those in Lye, Stourbridge.

Great when it’s not in your own backyard not so funny when a few hundred Romanian scum get parachuted onto your patch.

Seriously Al, up in Harrogate you haven’t the first clue what it’s like.

I know your town like the back of my hand so tell me where the nearest ghetto is within a mile of your house?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)