+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ...and Northampton.

My prediction: 1-2. Brook scorer. Crowd just over 4,000 (away 550).

Good news - Rod McDonald back ...
    Think we're gonna need him the way Northampton play ...

First goal CBR !

Goal in 10th minute of extra time!

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    Going for another Crewe win. 2-1

Crowd 5,320 with (442) away fans
    Could you believe it that they have conceded a goal in added time. The club must be past masters at this. Cannot the training staff teach them how to deal with that situation at that point of the game.

I have to ask questions about a 6'6" goalkeeper with massive hands that cannot dominate his goal area. How do we concede directly from the corner? Did noone attack the ball?
    Like many, before the game I would have been happy enough with that scoreline but it just left a bad taste. Blame the referee all you want but you don't defend by just pulling everyone back (especially with a flappy goalkeeper and an inability to deal with crosses- witness the equaliser!). Good defending is done by occupying spaces which restricts options to the opposition. But basically we just let them have the ball and choose what to do with it. In the end we got what we deserved.
    The sooner Long is fit (IF!), the better. I should hope that when he is back, we don't over-rely on defending single goal leads. We have an exciting team going forward. Don't waste it!

Should be gutted at losing a winning position, but the positive for me is Morris has shown he can get a side to compete at this level and he knows whats required, I was seriously concerned the trap door would open especially with DA at the helm, Northampton are a very high standard Lge 2 side and we nearly beat them....So far so good.

Having had a moan, I should point out that the following had good games: Mellor; McDonald; Agyei; CBR and Ainley (like a new signing).
    I thought Thomas had an off-day and Brook hasn't lived up to the promise he showed for 60 mins against Rochdale. We do need to strengthen as Agyei and Ainley are getting no protection from referees and will eventually succumb to injury.

Cobblers - that late goal messed up my prediction!!

To be fair to the ref it was very difficult to see the amount of time added because his Northampton scarf kept getting in his eyes whilst running.

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    Cobblers - that late goal messed up my prediction!!

To be fair to the ref it was very difficult to see the amount of time added because his Northampton scarf kept getting in his eyes whilst running.
    Yeah, made it really difficult for him didn't it?

We did OK really and when we get our players back in we could stay near the top of the table hopefully..

Two questions for someone..

1. 6 mins additional time isa lot and 8 mins is a bit OTT unless someone got hurt and the match was stopped for a few mins, was that the case?

2. I feel a bit sorry for goalkeepers when they can have 22 players in the 6 yard box and they even had their GK up there in the 97th minute. ...I'm not sure how that can be solved unless you can put say 4 players just this side of the half way line but if we have eleven back that surely makes it easier for the opposition to score and almost impossible for the GK to come out and grab the ball...I don't normally like young GK's though as they are not as match savvy and tend to be weaker physically..

If we can stay in the top 6 or 7 we will have a great chance to get higher as the season progresses. Hopefully, the injuries can be reduced.

Sorry, I was going to add that when you are in added time with a lead like we had then we need to try and keep the ball and not give it to the opposition which is difficult if you are massed in your own half...ie attack being best form of defence and of course a couple of goals lead..

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast