+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ...and Northampton.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    We did OK really and when we get our players back in we could stay near the top of the table hopefully..

Two questions for someone..

1. 6 mins additional time is a lot and 8 mins is a bit OTT unless someone got hurt and the match was stopped for a few mins, was that the case?
    Absolutely not is the answer - no injuries and when AM asked the ref where he'd got the extra extra time from he said it was booking Agyei and their Keeper 5 minutes in, when the keeper wiped him out on the edge of their box - even if he allowed 30 seconds for each like a sub (there were no subs made after 90 minutes) he should at least have blown the whistle when the first corner was headed out.

The suspicious would say he feared he should have disallowed our second goal for offside (but CBR was played on) and didn't want the Cobblers to lose because of his "error".

5 - 6 minutes was probably about right - 5 subs in the half, and Ainley and Brook both had to be treated on the pitch after their "attentions".

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    Absolutely not is the answer - no injuries and when AM asked the ref where he'd got the extra extra time from he said it was booking Agyei and their Keeper 5 minutes in, when the keeper wiped him out on the edge of their box - even if he allowed 30 seconds for each like a sub (there were no subs made after 90 minutes) he should at least have blown the whistle when the first corner was headed out.

The suspicious would say he feared he should have disallowed our second goal for offside (but CBR was played on) and didn't want the Cobblers to lose because of his "error".

5 - 6 minutes was probably about right - 5 subs in the half, and Ainley and Brook both had to be treated on the pitch after their "attentions".
    I said to myself as the 90 mins was approaching that there would be 6 minutes. I don't remember the trainer coming on for Ainley but he definitely did for Brook and there were 5 subs and some time wasting particularly by our keeper so 6 minutes was reasonable. 8 definitely wasn't and I didn;t realise they added time on for bookings. That is part and parcel of the game so I don't really get that. But even if it is right it doesn't take 2 minutes to write two names in a book. That said, we should be on it and ready to defend right up until the final whistle.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    I said to myself as the 90 mins was approaching that there would be 6 minutes. I don't remember the trainer coming on for Ainley but he definitely did for Brook and there were 5 subs and some time wasting particularly by our keeper so 6 minutes was reasonable. 8 definitely wasn't and I didn;t realise they added time on for bookings. That is part and parcel of the game so I don't really get that. But even if it is right it doesn't take 2 minutes to write two names in a book. That said, we should be on it and ready to defend right up until the final whistle.
    And, what I don’t get is the continuing to play ( not just Saturday, but across all divisions) if the ball is not cleared out of the box. The first corner was not cleared, another is awarded, so referees allow it to be taken. Why?
    It’s the same with free kicks in an attacking position. Always allowed to be taken and the whistle blown for time only if and when the ball is cleared.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    And, what I don’t get is the continuing to play ( not just Saturday, but across all divisions) if the ball is not cleared out of the box. The first corner was not cleared, another is awarded, so referees allow it to be taken. Why?
    It’s the same with free kicks in an attacking position. Always allowed to be taken and the whistle blown for time only if and when the ball is cleared.
    Yep. Bizarre. But then football is so insular in it's thinking that all logic goes out of the window. The ridiculous practice of the referee marching up to a player with the ball in his hand when it is a "drop ball" situation rather than just let the players deal with it. The number of times I have seen the goal keeper waiting for the ref to drop the ball before he is allowed to kick it is one of the more ridiculous spectacles you are ever likely to see in sport

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    Anyone remember Clive Thomas I think his name was who was refereeing a World Cup match and the 90mins were up just as someone was about to take a corner and may even have taken it and CT blew his whistle for full time. He got some stick for that and makes us wonder if the officials are now adding time for little reason and in those not so golden days or perhaps they were when they blew the whistle on time irrespective. It seems Refs are adding lots of time these days?

Looking at the highlights on the first goal, the scorer seemed to foul the opposition player quite badly in my eyes, before he then scored and wonder whether the Ref was trying to make amends for that? It was clearly a foul wasn't it...You guys would know..

Anyone remember Clive Thomas I think his name was who was refereeing a World Cup match and the 90mins were up just as someone was about to take a corner and may even have taken it and CT blew his whistle for full time. He got some stick for that and makes us wonder if the officials are now adding time for little reason and in those not so golden days or perhaps they were when they blew the whistle on time irrespective. It seems Refs are adding lots of time these days?

Looking at the highlights on the first goal, the scorer seemed to foul the opposition player quite badly in my eyes, before he then scored and wonder whether the Ref was trying to make amends for that? It was clearly a foul wasn't it...You guys would know..
    Just checked, the Ref's name was Clive Thomas...what a memory.... And it was 1978, 44 years ago in the World Cup Finals in Argentina and the player did take the corner and CT blew his whistle and then the ball ended up in the back of the net seconds later and so was not allowed. CT was sent home never ever to referee another world cup match...Anyone here see that action at the time?

Just checked, the Ref's name was Clive Thomas...what a memory.... And it was 1978, 44 years ago in the World Cup Finals in Argentina and the player did take the corner and CT blew his whistle and then the ball ended up in the back of the net seconds later and so was not allowed. CT was sent home never ever to referee another world cup match...Anyone here see that action at the time?
    I remember it well. I think the ball was in mid-air when he blew

There was only one person in Clive Thomas's World and he loved the publicity

Another one he mentioned after retirement was the following: I can't remember what the decision was but the players remonstrated with him and he wondered what to do;. So he wandered over to the liner and said to him " are we going for a drink afterwards", to which the liner nodded which made it seem as if the liner agreed with the decision !!!

Now Brook's out for 6 weeks, we need a striker urgently too.

Sambou is still suspended on Saturday. Salisbury/Evans was taken off after 30 mins in the U21s. I think I know who will be included in the team for Saturday. So Agyei may have to move over to the right. How long do we have to wait for Long? The bench will be interesting!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    ..... How long do we have to wait for Long?
    Sounds like he might have a drug problem anorl according to AM on the OS

AM added: “Chris Long is back on the grass"

😉😉

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast