+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Matchday Thread: Fleetwood v Derby

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    not sure what’s prompted that MA I think your opinion on such things are respected by all, we can disagree though and I at least may well be wrong.
    Don't let Granmaa see that confession!

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Just to clarify my comments....

We get one early doors and they can't sit back with all 11 players in and around their own box. They will have to be a little more adventurous. That will create space in and around their box and back line which players with the speed of Dobbin, NML and Barkhuizen can use to either their personal advantage or to set up a teammate like Sibs or Hourihane...... all based on what tends to happen in football rather than a figment of my imagination. No guarantees, agreed, but more often than not it goes that way. Percentages.
    That's perfectly logical and true more often than not, MA. I'm probably getting old and decrepit but I don't recall that even in Cloughie's time we made a habit of early goals but what we did have was takers of chances, however crafted, and in tight games with defensive minded teams that's *****. I remain unconvinced that we have that capacity at the present. I hope that your excellent assessment proves more accurate than mine.
    I hasten to add that that's not a criticism of our hastily built squad of which I am ecstatic over in respect of the surprising quality that it contains. We have built an excellent base which can give us both some security in terms of the immediate future after the recent mayhem and the opportunity to move forward despite continuing restrictions. That is excellent progress and well done to everyone at the club.

mac, when have we ever been good at breaking through a row of parked buses?

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    As rA says, MA, keep posting your opinions as well, of course, as the many facts that you bring to the discussion! Any Forum is a mix of fact, opinion and, of course, a smattering of crap.
    My opinion, for what it's worth is that creating chances, whilst obviously somewhat important, does not always ultimately result in an improvement in the conversion rate. Personally, I'm not convinced that it will in our case. Why?? Well it just seems to me that, firstly, the slow build up takes away much of the impact of the attack which allows the defenders to 'defend' more easily. Secondly, it tends to lead to 'half chances' which players 'snatch' at so that even when a clear cut chance does emerge they still 'snatch' at it! This then tends to lead to a build up of tension over a number of games which only aggravates the problem. In both scenarios what might be termed 'natural' goal scorers will, inevitably, have a higher success rate and this will in turn, ease that tension. I don't see a 'natural' goal scorer in our squad even at this level!
    I am pleased to see that we are putting more crosses into the box and that will help but it's still too slow in the build up. I've watched a number of PL highlights this weekend and I noticed that there was a significant amount of long balls played, yes they are more skilled and therefore more likely to be accurate, but the effectiveness was very evident. Even Man City used the tactic and direct from the keeper as well. One half decent long ball will often rattle defenders very quickly and can give attackers a little bit of room to work. That might help in our case.
    Anyway, it's just my opinion of course!! 😉
    I'd agree that every team needs to mix its style up a bit, otherwise one becomes a tad predictable and easy to defend against. One would hope Rosenior is a good enough coach to recognise, that whilst he ants to play a certain way, sometimes if its not working, he has to change it.

In terms of the chances we have had, a number of have hit the woodwork, or the keeper has pulled off a good save, that indicates IMO that we are creating real goal scoring opportunities and not quite getting the rub of the green. Where shots are blocked or a chance snuffed out, then the "too slow" in the build up is a valid criticism.

I still think its too early to worry yet, 10 games in if we a re still firing blanks then maybe there is cause for concern. I presume that's why another young striker on loan is one of our targets?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Sorry everybody, I'll simply stop posting my opinion.
    I agree with what you said for what it's worth

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)