+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Nationalisation.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I actually don't see the difference between tips and non contractual bonuses, except perhaps one of magnitude. Each tend to be accompanied by threat to withdraw services if not granted.

Do you tip in restaurants, and does this change if the bill already includes a mark up for serve automatically? What about taxi drivers, hairdressers etc?

I remember when I was a relief postie back in the day. Only did one or two weeks at Christmas, but got more in "Christmas boxes" in those two weeks than I did in wages. I suspect the regular postie's who had worked the other 50 weeks to generate these tips were not impressed.

I take your point that in your world recognition was "non financial", same is probably true in the NHS, but whilst both are large employers, I suspect they are in the minority as regards incentivisation patterns to remuneration.... especially if you throw in share option schemes which are now very prevalent.
    Can’t remember the last time I was in a taxi but restaurants and hairdressers? I tip in restaurants only if the service isn’t included and depending on performance, which could mean anything from nowt to generous. I also tip because there is a general understanding that waiters and waitresses aren’t very well paid. Probably do better to just pay a fairer wage and do away with the expectation of tips...especially as they are often pooled.
    Hairdressers...curiously perhaps I’ve had the same hairdresser for about thirty years and she now comes to my house because she makes more travelling than paying the salon ‘hire’ costs. I used to give her a £5 tip but it’s currently much more because of her obviously increased oncosts.
    Anecdotally...we have an annual festival (‘Why Not’) about five miles from where I live. I was talking to the guy who provides the portaloos, or whatever they’re called, the other day. Reckons he’s had a lean time if he doesn’t pick up £1k in lost money at the end of each festival. Bonus!

On your second point...I honestly wasn’t being evasive. Just because I believe we were much better off in the EU than out of it doesn’t mean that I agree with all things EU anymore than supporting Labour against the current government means I agree with all things Labour.
    If ‘French ownership of a British key industry was a very EU thing’ then it’s not something I agreed with but neither is it something that challenges my ‘Remain’ stance and, as I suspect you know, I don’t see any parallel with Tricky’s hypothetical Slovakian barista.

P.S. I’m often in the minority which isn’t a source of concern...but I’ll readily concede that I have no knowledge at all of remuneration schemes. I’d just like to see more of a ‘fair wages for all’ mentality. Of course some are going to earn more than others but we seem to have lost the plot on this one at the moment.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 23-08-2022 at 03:19 PM.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)