+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: OT - the current crisis

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    You keep saying it, Tricky. Won’t make it sound any less foolish...and perhaps people in the UK and Europe try and influence policy in those areas because they have a little more chance than in the likes of ‘China, Russia, India and the USA’ where they have no influence whatsoever.

You think concern for Green issues and the environment is nothing more than a ‘cult’ led by ‘zealots’? Sorry, I have nothing left to say.
    Easy tigers. As with Covid, for the most part I'd say 'listen to the scientists', but unfortunately trustworthy people are less easy to identify in the arena of climate change than Covid - on the credit side, and lets hope he lasts til at least 200, David Attenborough, on the debit side Greta Thunberg, I have yet to discuss climate change with anyone who finds her message appealling.

BUT its not, IMO, a 'cult', the warming of the planet is a fact, the linking of that to the use of fossil fuels is less certain but there is a weight of evidence.

BUT BUT, gotta say there ARE a lot of zealots around, a lot of scaremongering and a lot of fake news/correlations. Fantastic story on TV last week thatcovered all those bases, a 'popular sunday night programme' offered the destruction by fire of a combine harvester as directly climate change related. Like the 'Poles being killed by racists' bo-locks post Brexit, further digging determined that this was rubbish - the fire was caused by a fuel leak, and in any case CHs are tested to operating conditions of well over 40 degrees anyway, both of which facts the presenter/producer/programme should have and probably did know, but it didn't suit the narrative. As with other sensitive subjects discussed from time to time on this forum, the more stories like the above abound, either far fetched, patently untrue or without provenance, the more those in the middle ground will adopt AN 'anti-' approach IMO.
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 31-08-2022 at 07:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Well I'm glad your happy, that Granny Bloggs in her pokey flat, is safe in the knowledge that tiddles/a hot water bottle but no gas, makes her suffering all the more worth it.
    Good on yer.
    I’m not sure how you can conclude that that’s what I’ve said or implied. Which bit of ‘I can see a scenario where more use of fossil fuels may, very sadly, become temporarily necessary’ didn’t you read or understand?

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post

The drive to go 100% green by folks like May listening to zealots, is half the reason folks are going to struggle to have any heat this winter.
    Really? There was me thinking that it was caused by the, so loved by the Toraidh, free market system that has seen prices to the consumer rocket. The producers put energy up for grabs to the highest bidder. The bidders are the companies that supply energy to you. That astronomic wholesale price means that the price to consumers will also rocket. IMO it has nothing to to with the "green thing" and everything to do with greed from energy producers and their shareholders.

As we are anecdoting (is that a verb) on energy prices, my DD for gas and electric from EDF has just gone from 267 pcm to 432 pcm, having gone up from 225 to 267 a few months ago. They didn't bother to tell me, just did it and I spotted it on online banking.

I get that the prices will go up, but not that they don't even bother telling the customer about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    As we are anecdoting (is that a verb) on energy prices, my DD for gas and electric from EDF has just gone from 267 pcm to 432 pcm, having gone up from 225 to 267 a few months ago. They didn't bother to tell me, just did it and I spotted it on online banking.

I get that the prices will go up, but not that they don't even bother telling the customer about it.
    EDF propose a change but allow the customer to override. For unique reasons out proposed DD for gas went from £47 to £1, we've bumped it up to £125

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post

Sure they really should have told you.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 01-09-2022 at 12:28 PM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)