+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Matchday Thread: Rams v Peterborugh

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Love late wins! We’re creating...that’s the main thing at this stage...and we have a defence worthy of the name.
    Expect a goal scorer to join within the next few days.
    Well I was kind of banging my head against the wall at 88 mins!! Nice to see the lads win in that way and even better to hear the moans and whinges of McCann the Peterborough manager!!

I liked Marriott for a good while with us but yesterday is the reason why hes a league 1 player thats it. His game is very one dimensional. He had one good season when the whole system at Peterboro is to make their strikers look good, you dont see many of them make the step up after being sold for a profit. And I think a lot of clubs higher up are now seeing this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by DCFCArmy View Post
    I liked Marriott for a good while with us but yesterday is the reason why hes a league 1 player thats it. His game is very one dimensional. He had one good season when the whole system at Peterboro is to make their strikers look good, you dont see many of them make the step up after being sold for a profit. And I think a lot of clubs higher up are now seeing this as well.
    He was great for two or three months and then turned into one of our worst ever signings. One memorable night, at Leeds, was about all we got from him once the ‘honeymoon period’ was over if I remember correctly.

He was lazy in training ?

I still think he should have played in the playoff final it was a mistake not to start him. Waghorn should have come of the bench if it wasnt working.

I dont think he liked it here but there wasnt a queue to sign him and he ended up back at Peterboro which says a lot in hindsight.

Oh and Sheff Weds fans dont rate him either...

Quote Originally Posted by DCFCArmy View Post

I still think he should have played in the playoff final it was a mistake not to start him. Waghorn should have come of the bench if it wasnt working.
    Neither Jack nor Waggy was considered fit enough to start at Wembley. That's the reason they were both on the bench.

PS - It seems Jack worked very hard at Derby.... on his golf handicap

My two observations on saturday for what its worth:

In amongst his plaudits, LR states that the way the team plays is down to him. If he believes that that 'way' should include starting attacks using someone who isn't a footballer (sorry keepers but you/we aren't) he needs help

Likewise it appears to have passed the coaching staff by that Collins is just no use in the air, when Wildsmith by some miracle did hoy the ball in Collins' direction his ability to jump proved to be worse than Les Green's, and that applies for earlier games as well

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    If he believes that that 'way' should include starting attacks using someone who isn't a footballer (sorry keepers but you/we aren't) he needs help
    l
    Speak for yourself. As someone who spent half or more of his "career" between the sticks, I was a keeper playing the sweeping role back in the 90s and with some success. It didn't help that, in my 40s, I was the youngest of the "back 5". I went for through balls and balls over the top of the back 4 at a pace just quick enough to get there first. No point in giving away my speed early doors. Next one was a bit further away from goal. Again I'd get there first, just. How sharper the pass, the quicker I went. Much to the chagrin of the oppo. Often took the oppo until well into the 2nd half to work out that that tactic wasn't going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Speak for yourself. As someone who spent half or more of his "career" between the sticks, I was a keeper playing the sweeping role back in the 90s and with some success. It didn't help that, in my 40s, I was the youngest of the "back 5". I went for through balls and balls over the top of the back 4 at a pace just quick enough to get there first. No point in giving away my speed early doors. Next one was a bit further away from goal. Again I'd get there first, just. How sharper the pass, the quicker I went. Much to the chagrin of the oppo. Often took the oppo until well into the 2nd half to work out that that tactic wasn't going to work.
    Likewise, speak for yourself, and good for you, but we are talking professional if not elite level here. If you'll allow me to rephrase, he's the worst footballer (with ball at feet) in the Derby team. Even if he had the inate footballing ability of the others which he probably hasn't, he hasn't got the years of practise, mentally and physically, to do the right thing with the ball. Just IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Likewise, speak for yourself, and good for you, but we are talking professional if not elite level here. If you'll allow me to rephrase, he's the worst footballer (with ball at feet) in the Derby team. Even if he had the inate footballing ability of the others which he probably hasn't, he hasn't got the years of practise, mentally and physically, to do the right thing with the ball. Just IMO
    According to the oracle known as Facebook, that accolade belongs to, depending on which way the wind's blowing, Collins, Bird.... etc. take your pick

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)