+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Energy costs for home

Energy costs for home

and business. Seems to me that the profits being made by the energy suppliers are being made because there has been little increase in the cost of production. This forum has guys who know the nuts and bolts of energy production and I hope that they might have some calming thoughts.
    The Suez crisis lead to petrol rationing and people didn't use their cars, if they had them. The miners strike in the 70's led to 3 day week and a major shift in energy supplies.I think we are being panicked by a Mainstream TV service that mistakenly believes that by showing evermore graphic tales of personal dismay at price rises, and contrasting this with the profligate payments to the energy industry they are actually helping.
    My view is that they are wrong. Demonising politicians, who are the only people, I think, can curb or change the systems we have for selling energy, will do nothing to help us.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    and business. Seems to me that the profits being made by the energy suppliers are being made because there has been little increase in the cost of production. This forum has guys who know the nuts and bolts of energy production and I hope that they might have some calming thoughts.
    The Suez crisis lead to petrol rationing and people didn't use their cars, if they had them. The miners strike in the 70's led to 3 day week and a major shift in energy supplies.I think we are being panicked by a Mainstream TV service that mistakenly believes that by showing evermore graphic tales of personal dismay at price rises, and contrasting this with the profligate payments to the energy industry they are actually helping.
    My view is that they are wrong. Demonising politicians, who are the only people, I think, can curb or change the systems we have for selling energy, will do nothing to help us.
    Thanks for your post.
    I can remember in 1973 the price of oil shot up and petrol coupons were given to every car owner in the U.K. to be used in the event of a shortage of petrol. No unleaded petrol in 1973 because the magic words ‘climate change’ was never used.
    In my opinion the cost of social tariffs, feed in tariffs paid to the owners of wind turbines and solar panels and the cost of installing 1st generation and 2nd generation smart meters should never have been added to the cost of energy bills but instead paid by general taxation.
    Ofgem should be publishing the maximum unit price per kilowatt hour and daily standing charge that an electricity billing company can charge with effect from 1st October 2022.
    I also think that businesses should be charged the same unit price per kilowatt hour and daily standing charge for electricity and gas as a domestic customer.
    These businesses use the same electricity as people living in a house so why are businesses being fleeced by electricity billing companies.
    Businesses who use heating oil pay the same price for a litre of heating oil as a domestic customer so why not the same for electricity and gas billing companies.
    Politicians in both Scotland and England should be explaining why there is no price cap for businesses in Scotland, England and Wales for electricity and gas.
    Finally. A couple of weeks ago there was an article in the Sunday Times newspaper where the owner of Octopus energy stated that he was still using energy that he purchased two years ago. If correct then Octopus customers are being ripped off as he is charging a far higher price for their energy than he paid for it.
    Ofgem should be demanding that all the electricity and gas billing companies state when they purchased their gas and electricity and what price they paid for it.
    No doubt companies like Octopus will now be stating that we will have to pay high prices for our electricity and gas because it will take many years for it to be used.
    Too bad. When the price of electricity and gas falls we should be receiving a reduction in our electricity and gas bills at the first quarterly review.

Islay, I think the problem is that trying to sell fixed price contracts at competitive prices to grow their business, they are mistakenly thinking that this is a good way for an energy company to operate. EDF for example are part owned by the French government. Maybe we should review our free market approach?

Islay, I think the problem is that trying to sell fixed price contracts at competitive prices to grow their business, they are mistakenly thinking that this is a good way for an energy company to operate. EDF for example are part owned by the French government. Maybe we should review our free market approach?
    Opening up the electricity and gas billing market without ensuring that all electricity and billings companies were fully funded was a big mistake by Ofgem and we are now paying the costs of all these companies going bust through the greatly increased of the daily standing charge on our bills.
    Incidentally there is no standing charge on heating oil bills because heating oil customers are responsible for the installation and cost of their own oil tank.

most of the energy companies in Europe are regulated by their own governments, thats why companies like EDF are here in Britain.
    The energy companies are not regulated in Britain and can raise their prices when it suits them.

Quote Originally Posted by deecom View Post
    most of the energy companies in Europe are regulated by their own governments, thats why companies like EDF are here in Britain.
    The energy companies are not regulated in Britain and can raise their prices when it suits them.
    EDF is nationalised.

They use nuclear.

They are currently 35bn in debt.

The French taxpayer picks up the tab.

Quote Originally Posted by noahrab View Post
    EDF is nationalised.

They use nuclear.

They are currently 35bn in debt.

The French taxpayer picks up the tab.
    Is this a better way to provide energy?

Nicola and Wee Pat do not want anymore new nuclear power stations built in Scotland as they both think that the wind turbines and solar panels will keep the lights on in Scotland 24/7 throughout the whole of the year including the dark winter months.

It is certainly a more reliable way to provide electricity.

Got a quote for business gas. Went from about 4p per kW to 45p per kW then 25p per kW. The supply companies are at it!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)