+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Energy costs for home

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    There is nothing wrong with the companies that produce the electricity and gas.
    The system worked fine in Scotland where SSE and Scottish Power were both electricity generating and billing companies.
    The main problem lies with allowing people set up electricity and gas billing companies in their own home which were hopelessly under capitalised and were purchasing electricity and gas from the wholesale markets on a daily basis.
    That is fine when prices are stable but when gas and electricity prices on the wholesale spot market greatly increase in price these billing companies go bust because their customers are linked into annual contracts at a much lower rate.
    Agree. I still think that there is an argument for state ownership of energy and water companies.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Agree. I still think that there is an argument for state ownership of energy and water companies.
    The North of Scotland Electricity Board and the South of Scotland Electricity Board were both government owned whilst Scottish Water is bankrolled by the Scottish Government.

OVO who took over the retail bit of SSE are telling me that they recommend that I have a credit balance with them of 3 months worth of the value of one months energy bill. anyone in a similar boat, and recommend an alternative! apologies for returning to this topic but my fingers are freezing as I type this because of a self imposed ban on using our gas central heating. Just shows how soft I have become since my childhood where central heating was a rarity and being cold, with ice forming on the inside of single gkazed sash windows was the norm.

OVO who took over the retail bit of SSE are telling me that they recommend that I have a credit balance with them of 3 months worth of the value of one months energy bill. anyone in a similar boat, and recommend an alternative! apologies for returning to this topic but my fingers are freezing as I type this because of a self imposed ban on using our gas central heating. Just shows how soft I have become since my childhood where central heating was a rarity and being cold, with ice forming on the inside of single gkazed sash windows was the norm.
    There is nothing to stop you going into the SSE OVO website and changing the amount of your monthly direct debit to a more realistic amount.
    I have previously phoned SSE OVO and advised their customer service officer that I was not running up a savings account for the benefit of owner of OVO to use in case it went bust.
    I complained that these crazy high monthly direct debit amounts never happened when SSE also operated as a energy billing company.
    The OVO customer service officer admitted to me that things have become a lot worse since OVO purchased SSE’s domestic and business energy billing list of customers for £500 million.
    I too can remember our house not having central heating with the single glazed windows having patterns of ice on the inside of the panes of glass.
    Goodness knows how the current generation would have survived during the winter of 1962-63 with no central heating.
    I remember my parents getting night storage heaters installed in late 1963 and it was a joy to get up in the morning in a nice warm house.
    In my opinion if you are cold you should switch on your gas central heating as there are no pockets in shrouds.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    There is nothing to stop you going into the SSE OVO website and changing the amount of your monthly direct debit to a more realistic amount.
    I have previously phoned SSE OVO and advised their customer service officer that I was not running up a savings account for the benefit of owner of OVO to use in case it went bust.
    I complained that these crazy high monthly direct debit amounts never happened when SSE also operated as a energy billing company.
    The OVO customer service officer admitted to me that things have become a lot worse since OVO purchased SSE’s domestic and business energy billing list of customers for £500 million.
    I too can remember our house not having central heating with the single glazed windows having patterns of ice on the inside of the panes of glass.
    Goodness knows how the current generation would have survived during the winter of 1962-63 with no central heating.
    I remember my parents getting night storage heaters installed in late 1963 and it was a joy to get up in the morning in a nice warm house.
    In my opinion if you are cold you should switch on your gas central heating as there are no pockets in shrouds.
    I was brought up in a semi in St Mary's. Can remember drawing pictures of the frost on the inside of the metal framed windows. Think we just kept our coats on in the winter. That wee two bar electric fire heated about a foot radius. Different world now.

Quote Originally Posted by parcbara View Post
    I was brought up in a semi in St Mary's. Can remember drawing pictures of the frost on the inside of the metal framed windows. Think we just kept our coats on in the winter. That wee two bar electric fire heated about a foot radius. Different world now.
    Exactly. What happens to the energy prices if everyone puts on their coats and switches off their heating? Very interesting discussion about housing in Germany where the plans are to reduce the amount of heating needed by building much better insulated houses.

Looks like rationing might be on the way. Go help us having to reset every digital appliance that has a stand by mode. Would like to know how it is going to work?

Looks like rationing might be on the way. Go help us having to reset every digital appliance that has a stand by mode. Would like to know how it is going to work?
    Blackouts and rationing is the surely the best outcome? I can't think of any appliance in ma hoose that would need reset after a power cut.

Quote Originally Posted by parcbara View Post
    I too was brought in a house that had no central heating and I can still remember how cold it was during the winter if 1962-63 when the panes of glass in the morning were frozen on the inside as well as the outside.
    With the introduction of central heating in houses people have become soft and will take bad if there are power cuts as a gas central heating system still need electricity to power the pump.
    People will need to plan ahead in they are warned of impending power cuts and make sure that they have flasks of hot water for cups of tea or coffee plus to fill a hot water bottle if need be.
    In January 2013 we had a power cut on Islay which lasted 53 hours and 20 minutes.
    Fortunately we have a wood burning stove which kept our living room warm.
    After the power cut was over we purchased a camping gas stove plus extra gas canisters which lets us boil pans of water, soup etc.
    We have several power cuts per year on Islay usually thanks to geese flying into power lines but in November 2019 the main electricity cable from the Mainland to the island of Jura and then onto to Islay lying was wrecked. I suspect that a scallop dredger fishing boat operating in the area wrecked the Main cable which was out of action for 6 months.
    Fortunately the diesel powered electricity generating station consuming 100,000 litres of diesel per day kept the lights and heating on in Islay plus production at the 9 whisky distilleries working full time on the island.
    Wee Greta and the leaders of Extinction Rebellion would have done their nut if they had known about the CO2 emissions and pollution created by this diesel power in Bowmore working flat out for 6 months.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)