+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Energy costs for home

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    If your electricity billing company goes bust then your account will be taken on by another electricity billing company.
    Until they all go bust bar maybe two three of the very biggest. What do you think that would do to prices?

I am coming round to the view that perhaps the public utilities are not suitable businesses for private ownership. It just seems odd that foreign governments have controlling shareholdings in English water companies and electricity companies. I think the initial privatisation issues were entered around government debt and the interest payments needed to sustain that debt. Seems to me we are way beyond that now and perhaps the greed/profit motivation has gone too far and we need to clip the privatised utilities wings and get them focused on good service at a sustainable price.
    Have read a bit about franking but I can't make my mind up about it. Those against it seem to be making arguments that are theoretical and those for it seem to be motivated by money above anything else. They also seem unwilling to accept any of the con erns voiced by the antis.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    I am coming round to the view that perhaps the public utilities are not suitable businesses for private ownership. It just seems odd that foreign governments have controlling shareholdings in English water companies and electricity companies. I think the initial privatisation issues were entered around government debt and the interest payments needed to sustain that debt. Seems to me we are way beyond that now and perhaps the greed/profit motivation has gone too far and we need to clip the privatised utilities wings and get them focused on good service at a sustainable price.
    Have read a bit about franking but I can't make my mind up about it. Those against it seem to be making arguments that are theoretical and those for it seem to be motivated by money above anything else. They also seem unwilling to accept any of the con erns voiced by the antis.
    Fracking, like the continued exploration and expoitation of offshore gas and oil reserves, is absolutely essential. Time to get the greens shut up, like you say all their arguments are what ifs and are all worst case scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Fracking, like the continued exploration and expoitation of offshore gas and oil reserves, is absolutely essential. Time to get the greens shut up, like you say all their arguments are what ifs and are all worst case scenarios.
    Unfortunately, it would appear that the government of Scotland, no doubt influenced by the warped green party, do not agree with fracking.

Quote Originally Posted by parcbara View Post
    Unfortunately, it would appear that the government of Scotland, no doubt influenced by the warped green party, do not agree with fracking.
    How do I fire my gas boiler if the wind stops blowing?

Really depressing to listen to Labour talking about green jobs and renewable energy. We are seeing the flaws in these arguments here in Scotland and it is worrying that Westminster might end up with a similar crackpot philosophy at the heart of a Labour dominated government.

Really depressing to listen to Labour talking about green jobs and renewable energy. We are seeing the flaws in these arguments here in Scotland and it is worrying that Westminster might end up with a similar crackpot philosophy at the heart of a Labour dominated government.
    If we think bills are high now just wait until we have to replace existing technologies for heating our houses.

Quote Originally Posted by noahrab View Post
    If we think bills are high now just wait until we have to replace existing technologies for heating our houses.
    The SNP Government have stated that from 2024 all new builds plus businesses will have to install heat pumps instead of gas boilers.
    As usual these halfwits at Holyrood have not mentioned anything about the people who install get a gas fired boiler as their house is not on the gas grid network because Nippy and Wee Pat are only interested in people living in the area between Greater Glasgow and Greater Edinburgh.

There is nothing wrong with the companies that produce the electricity and gas.
    The system worked fine in Scotland where SSE and Scottish Power were both electricity generating and billing companies.
    The main problem lies with allowing people set up electricity and gas billing companies in their own home which were hopelessly under capitalised and were purchasing electricity and gas from the wholesale markets on a daily basis.
    That is fine when prices are stable but when gas and electricity prices on the wholesale spot market greatly increase in price these billing companies go bust because their customers are linked into annual contracts at a much lower rate.

Heat pumps are very unreliable and don't run efficiently at lower temperatures, they're not the answer.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)