+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .... and Bolton Wanderers

So 8 changes. Think we'll be overrun in midfield. Hoping that Finney jnr is not hung out to dry at LB. He doesn't need that! He's got real talent in the midfield.

Sorry....should read.....as a midfielder.

Now Franny was a quality player and it was such a shame when he suffered his cruciate injury on Boxing Day against Everton. I suspect the game should have been off really due to the snow and it took us ages to crawl to the ground in the car. There’s still conjecture about whether Southall could have prevented sliding into Lee as he chased into the box and it also cost us a big fee as Lee was all set to move to Wolves. He went on to be brilliant and how I wish we had him now? Great days and great players we’ve both had. I understand Murphy is coming back to you. I always rated him here but it wasn’t easy playing in Parkinson’s Neanderthal style. Hope he does well for you anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyWhites View Post
    Ha, yes I suppose it is a little confusing but I live near Barnsley now hence the Monika. As I said, eight changes from Saturday with a few new youngsters and walking wounded back in the starting line up so most of our key players are out, although they’ll probably come on at some point. That should at least give you a chance of a good start but I suppose it depends how your manager sees it. Anyway let’s hope it’s a good game and no poor refereeing decisions!! 😉
    It looks like we have made about 8 changes also - so should be an interesting game.

Quote Originally Posted by BarnsleyWhites View Post
    Now Franny was a quality player and it was such a shame when he suffered his cruciate injury on Boxing Day against Everton. I suspect the game should have been off really due to the snow and it took us ages to crawl to the ground in the car. There’s still conjecture about whether Southall could have prevented sliding into Lee as he chased into the box and it also cost us a big fee as Lee was all set to move to Wolves. He went on to be brilliant and how I wish we had him now? Great days and great players we’ve both had. I understand Murphy is coming back to you. I always rated him here but it wasn’t easy playing in Parkinson’s Neanderthal style. Hope he does well for you anyway.
    Saw Frannie play on numerous occasions, and can still remember the Barry Davies commentary on MoTD, when he scored the winner for Derby at Maine Road ...

Murphy not coming back after all - signed for Macclesfield

Yes sorry about that frogpole, my mistake!! Early goal so you’ll need to come out now but at least there’s plenty of time.

Bolton had 26 shots, with 13 on target - so they deserved the win tonight.

Deviating a bit. Just noticed that Oli Lancashire scored for Southampton U21's last night against FGR, where he is on the coaching staff. Bizarre competition this. He must have found the elixir of youth.

Quote Originally Posted by MeForCrewe View Post
    Deviating a bit. Just noticed that Oli Lancashire scored for Southampton U21's last night against FGR, where he is on the coaching staff. Bizarre competition this. He must have found the elixir of youth.
    My understanding is they signed him as player coach for the U21s, with the intention that he play quite a bit (skipper too maybe?). Seems strange for him to play in this competition though.

Quote Originally Posted by ShropshireAlex View Post
    My understanding is they signed him as player coach for the U21s, with the intention that he play quite a bit (skipper too maybe?). Seems strange for him to play in this competition though.
    Sorry but its a load of nonsense. Not one player OVER the age of 21 should be playing in any side that is listed as under 21 etc...Ditto all the other groups like under 23...I know lets have these retired footballers playing alongside 5 year olds and getting shown up by natural ability. I wonder how many ex footballers are in these academies across the world and not just the UK...Can anyone please say they are making a difference compared with yesteryear and if you want the proof. Its here on this thread highlighting the quality of Frannie Lee...

I'm not sure about the value of these cup competitions because losing badly could affect the league results and hope it doesn't this season. I mean most of these teams are playing second and third eleven anyway and why not bring back the reserve teams they had for a century....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12