+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Matchday thread: Derby v Grimsby

Quote Originally Posted by DCFCArmy View Post
    sheff weds will most likely be champions so we need to hang on to Ipswich
    Big call that DCFCA. Not sure why you’re so convinced by Wednesday but we’re still nine months, and a bit, away from what might be that final decisive match and I think we’re at least in as good a place as them at the moment.

Glad we won last night...this sort of match against ‘lesser’ opposition is exactly the sort of match we’d have come unstuck in in recent years and it shows we have some strength in depth, but I’m sorry...can’t get excited by this competition.

Still expecting an important addition before the window closes.

A good game to watch, Jake Rooney is either this decade's Franz Beckenbaur or this week's Eirin Cashin, and both are a compliment

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Big call that DCFCA. Not sure why you’re so convinced by Wednesday but we’re still nine months, and a bit, away from what might be that final decisive match and I think we’re at least in as good a place as them at the moment.

Glad we won last night...this sort of match against ‘lesser’ opposition is exactly the sort of match we’d have come unstuck in in recent years and it shows we have some strength in depth, but I’m sorry...can’t get excited by this competition.

Still expecting an important addition before the window closes.
    Go find us a Gerd Muller to complement the new Franz Beckenbaur then! Even played in more or less same kit.

Problem with the new FB is that we'll sell him to someone like Millwall for 275k in January....

I think last night's selection, which wasn't a million miles away from the Peterborough game was influenced by the rules of the competition which demand you put out a strong side.

Good first half, took our foot off in the 2nd IMO. Loach showed enough to not put the fear of God into us all as can happen with a 3rd keeper. I'd not worry if he played a League game which would probably see Harrison Foulkes on the bench and he's another good un. Of the rest of the players, I'm still unsure if Oduroh is a top prospect. It may be me being owd fashioned, it may be an issue with him, it might be he's playing to orders but IMO he moves way too far inside, away from the line and his "man". On a few occasions last night we saw crosses come in from our right and, to me, he was too far off his oppo and also making the wrong move thereby giving the player even more time. Stopping crosses is one of the major parts of a full back's role. For their goal, when the pass was made, he was at least as far infield as the penalty spot and maybe a bit further gifting Kiernan all the time and space he would have wanted to run onto the pass, shoot and score, which he did. Jake Rooney was excellent as was Fozzy at CH. With those two, Curt, Stears, Cash and Chester, that's one position we don't need to worry about. Roberts on the left is OK at this level but I'm not convinced he has "it" in enough quantity for a higher League. The 2 DMs had decent games, Tommo involved in the lead up to the first, Max scoring a delightful 3rd. NML, you'd never have guessed he's missed 2 games due to family reasons. Dobbin was very good, again. Sibs seems to have matured at last. Collins? Everything except a goal putting in a lot of work, however... I can't help but start to have doubt creeping in. Our first, NML was right where Collins should have been. Last seconds of the game, a brilliant far post ball from Didzy which Collins (Collo to his teammates) missed by half a gnat's knacker. It's not running for him for whatever reason. Good through ball from Sibs which he couldn't quite control. More similar occasions last night. Is he destined to be a nearly man with us? I hope not but I wouldn't bet against it.

The competiton's rules will ensure we put out an equally strong side at Mansfield and against Citeh youth and it's genuinely silverware we can win.... BUT, is it no more than a distraction? Probably.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I think last night's selection, which wasn't a million miles away from the Peterborough game was influenced by the rules of the competition which demand you put out a strong side.

Good first half, took our foot off in the 2nd IMO. Loach showed enough to not put the fear of God into us all as can happen with a 3rd keeper. I'd not worry if he played a League game which would probably see Harrison Foulkes on the bench and he's another good un. Of the rest of the players, I'm still unsure if Oduroh is a top prospect. It may be me being owd fashioned, it may be an issue with him, it might be he's playing to orders but IMO he moves way too far inside, away from the line and his "man". On a few occasions last night we saw crosses come in from our right and, to me, he was too far off his oppo and also making the wrong move thereby giving the player even more time. Stopping crosses is one of the major parts of a full back's role. For their goal, when the pass was made, he was at least as far infield as the penalty spot and maybe a bit further gifting Kiernan all the time and space he would have wanted to run onto the pass, shoot and score, which he did. Jake Rooney was excellent as was Fozzy at CH. With those two, Curt, Stears, Cash and Chester, that's one position we don't need to worry about. Roberts on the left is OK at this level but I'm not convinced he has "it" in enough quantity for a higher League. The 2 DMs had decent games, Tommo involved in the lead up to the first, Max scoring a delightful 3rd. NML, you'd never have guessed he's missed 2 games due to family reasons. Dobbin was very good, again. Sibs seems to have matured at last. Collins? Everything except a goal putting in a lot of work, however... I can't help but start to have doubt creeping in. Our first, NML was right where Collins should have been. Last seconds of the game, a brilliant far post ball from Didzy which Collins (Collo to his teammates) missed by half a gnat's knacker. It's not running for him for whatever reason. Good through ball from Sibs which he couldn't quite control. More similar occasions last night. Is he destined to be a nearly man with us? I hope not but I wouldn't bet against it.

The competiton's rules will ensure we put out an equally strong side at Mansfield and against Citeh youth and it's genuinely silverware we can win.... BUT, is it no more than a distraction? Probably.

I hate saying this because I think there's talent in there, but Thompson dosen't half stop our momentum, every ball he plays backwards even when we have space to play. He really needs coaching to express himself when the space is there to go forward
    Does anyone else notice this, like I say I think he has ability but he needs encouraging to go forward with his passes from time to time, sometimes under pressure its fine but not every time he gets the ball he's looking for the centre backs

Quote Originally Posted by eddy779h34 View Post
    I hate saying this because I think there's talent in there, but Thompson dosen't half stop our momentum, every ball he plays backwards even when we have space to play. He really needs coaching to express himself when the space is there to go forward
    Does anyone else notice this, like I say I think he has ability but he needs encouraging to go forward with his passes from time to time, sometimes under pressure its fine but not every time he gets the ball he's looking for the centre backs
    I made a similar comment on a FB page earlier today...... apparently I need to rewatch all the matches......

Fair dues, his ball forward led to the exchange of passes that saw us fluke our first but in the main, I too get the impression that, following a good start last season, he's gone safety first and his first thought is sideway or backwards.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I made a similar comment on a FB page earlier today...... apparently I need to rewatch all the matches......

Fair dues, his ball forward led to the exchange of passes that saw us fluke our first but in the main, I too get the impression that, following a good start last season, he's gone safety first and his first thought is sideway or backwards.
    Its like we are getting at the opposition getting them rattled then he gets the ball goes safety first, they regroup and we have no space to play

Quote Originally Posted by eddy779h34 View Post
    I noticed it and mentioned it a few matches ago. Drives me mad. Bird was guilty of the same during the Cocu era

Bird doing it in the Cocu era was understandable. Playing to instructions. However, this season, Liam and several players have said in interviews that he wants the ball moved forward quicker so I doubt Tommo is playing to orders.

When he played his first few games he passed forward every time... So what's happened? Lost his confidence, someone said something?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)