+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ....and Stevenage.

....and Stevenage.

Welcome, our old friend (not) Steve Evans. Expect lots of: falling over; intense pressure on the referee; players 'injured' at key moments; lots of niggley fouls; sly shirt tugging; long ball and Evans himself screaming at ref assistants and 4th official and, of course, a player to go down 'needing treatment' around 20-25 mins of each half.
    His teams have mostly got the better of us in the past but the Alex this season are physically more robust.
    Assuming there are no new injuries, (maybe Long shouldn't make an appearance against this lot!) I'm going for a 1-1 draw.

Not going to the match tomorrow. In Wales for the weekend.

I quite fancy our chances tomorrow. This season's Crewe Alex are a bit more durable and robust than previous versions. We've now got actual attacking options available from the bench and we have looked capable of scoring in every league game we've played. Sambou to start in place of Uwakwe and Eli in midfield, as more physical options, otherwise the same eleven from our last league game. 2 - 0 win for the alex. COYR!!!!

Going to stick my neck out and go for a 2-1 win. I don't think that Evans will get Morris to bite like he would have got with Artell. We could also do with a strong referee. Looking forward to it, should be a good atmosphere.

Just seen the starting XI - No KM !!

My heart is saying 3-1, but have to go with my head, and settle for 2-1.

FGS - DA (again)
    Crowd 5,212 (678)

Long to score late on to seal the win!

Quote Originally Posted by frogpole View Post
    Just seen the starting XI - No KM !!

FGS - DA (again)
    Just seen the same, re KM. Injured presumably? WTH with Uwakwe at RB? Why not play BSD in defence at push Offord to RB? Would give us some much needed height for the aerial onslaught we all know is coming.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does FGS - DA mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Armchair General View Post
    Just seen the same, re KM. Injured presumably? WTH with Uwakwe at RB? Why not play BSD in defence at push Offord to RB? Would give us some much needed height for the aerial onslaught we all know is coming.

Please excuse my ignorance, but what does FGS - DA mean?
    Sorry - FGS - First Goal Scored DA Dan Agyei

Quote Originally Posted by MeForCrewe View Post
    Going to stick my neck out and go for a 2-1 win. I don't think that Evans will get Morris to bite like he would have got with Artell. We could also do with a strong referee. Looking forward to it, should be a good atmosphere.
    Unfortunately the strong referee didn't turn as didn't the Alex in the second half. I don't know why we tend to fall apart as a team but it's such a common occurence that something needs doing about it. What, is another matter as I don't think competent enough to come up with an idea.
    Re: the referee- a foul denying a goalscoring opportunity is supposed to be a red card, so why didn't that apply on this occasion. This referee allowed 3 major fouls to go unpunished in the first few minutes thus allowing Stevenage a benchmark within which to play. Persistent foul play is also a yellow card offence. Not for this referee! In fact, it was typical that the Alex ended up receiving more yellows than the opposition. We've had huge amounts of added time this season in rather uneventful (stoppage-wise) matches yet, in a game where the referee spoke several times to Stevenage players about time wasting, including several gestures at his watch and there were some substitutions, he could only find 5 extra minutes!
    However, the referees pathetic performance cannot take away from the fact that the Alex allowed this game to slip away. We should have been out of sight at half-time.
    Suddenly, I'm worried about our attack. Ainley disappeared in the second half. Agyei had his worst game yet and decidedly needs to look up occasionally to see where his fellow forwards are. Sambou, for me, is not first choice and will lose his place to Long. However, his nuisance value and ability to cause chaos were still assets against Stevenage but, unfortunately, he is not the one you most want to see presented with a goalscoring chance. He wasted 2 opportunities yesterday as well as a cross(?) that went behind the goal from a good position.
    I'm hoping Mellor is not a long-term casualty as I would prefer Uwakwe in a position further forward.

I'm not sure AM understands what's happening to us although he sounded very annoyed that we have lost 5 points last two games. We should not be missing a penalty though and could have been comfortably ahead. Our GK made two glaring errors and is likely at his age. GK's should be nearer 30 years of age and not 20...But it all adds up and Stevenage are 2 in the table and we are 10th...Its how the cookie crumbles...BTW watching their manager's comments after the game there were lots of Crewe players playing 7 aside or something with two mock goal post structures carried onto the pitch...What was that all about? Maybe the manager and his assistants got them out there?

I thought we had a world famous academy and when we missed the pen, I wondered whether the taker had any 'coaching' or practice taking the easiest shot in football? Last week, last year possibly? I mused the taker took the pen by taking a couple of steps back before the kick and he did...Half way up in height and perfect line for the GK..I've seen loads of pens missed taken like that and IF there is to be coaching at RH then please teach players how to take a penalty...Run into the ball from ten paces away to cofuse the GK and blast the ball past him..We have a dozen managers and seemingly not one who has a clue about who to sign as a GK and we had three months to get two in and then sign an academy boy really as our main keeper and keep one who fans know is not much good, sorry GK and all that but even the thickest fan like me knew that and so why didn't they? I know its more managers we need like Evans..I was looking at the Wrexham website and they have 30 players and not one academy kid in there...How can these clubs afford that? And we struggle to get out one team to play? Somehow losing badly again like we did midweek seems to have a bad effect. Lets ditch those very poor competitions where PL under 21's are beaten easily as they are not up to much compared with proper men playing the game and the results show that...Why didn't AM put out our best team midweek anyway rather than play 5 aside after the game on a Sat? I'm sorry to say this but possibly we need more men managers here than ones who are steeped in kids soccer...He talks well does our AH and he doesn't go on social media he says but he needs to to find out what real fans think about his team? I like them all but think they are far too naive to be managers...I hope they all prove me wrong..
    Last edited by MikeSB; 04-09-2022 at 05:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeSB View Post
    I'm not sure AM understands what's happening to us although he sounded very annoyed that we have lost 5 points last two games. We should not be missing a penalty though and could have been comfortably ahead. Our GK made two glaring errors and is likely at his age. GK's should be nearer 30 years of age and not 20...But it all adds up and Stevenage are 2 in the table and we are 10th...Its how the cookie crumbles...BTW watching their manager's comments after the game there were lots of Crewe players playing 7 aside or something with two mock goal post structures carried onto the pitch...What was that all about? Maybe the manager and his assistants got them out there?
    Ok son, what position do you play?
    I’m a goalkeeper.
    Ok, how old are you?
    I’m 21.
    Ok, go away and do some plumbing, accountancy, optician maybe. Whatever you like, and come back in 8 years.
    Can I just stay here and be trained and coached?
    Sorry, we don’t do coaching, it’s 1970 you know!
    Welcome to Mike’s World.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast