+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How to end the current round of strikes

Quote Originally Posted by jdfc View Post
    Personally I’m not to fussed with the pay, though inflation is through the roof, it’s all the other conditions they are throwing at us, including Sunday working for no extra payments, now I know some already work Sundays but our contracts don’t have them in it
    I'd never agree with the Sunday thing for no extra pay, should be double time, so you have my full support on that one. Worth noting that nobody should be forced to work a Sunday, you can just quote religious reasons and management can't question it.

Are they trying to give you a day off in midweek for the Sunday instead of the O/T?

I was at secondary school fae 76-80 and I remember particularly through my Granda who was a trawlerman out of Buckie at that time union bullying. Roll on a couple of years and after the stunt Scargill and McGahey pulled with the miners strike unions should have been outlawed.

Quote Originally Posted by The AuldYin View Post
    I was at secondary school fae 76-80 and I remember particularly through my Granda who was a trawlerman out of Buckie at that time union bullying. Roll on a couple of years and after the stunt Scargill and McGahey pulled with the miners strike unions should have been outlawed.
    That means you're a year younger than me. Why call yourself The AuldYin when you're anything but old?

However you've seen the same thing with the unions that I did although I did once join a union - nasty, bullying *******s that I soon got shot of.

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    I'd never agree with the Sunday thing for no extra pay, should be double time, so you have my full support on that one. Worth noting that nobody should be forced to work a Sunday, you can just quote religious reasons and management can't question it.

Are they trying to give you a day off in midweek for the Sunday instead of the O/T?
    Folk work Sundays just now on overtime, they want to make it compulsory to work one in four Sundays, it will still be a five day week but new starts will go to a 40 hour six day week

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    What was the 'simple solution'? I'm not old enough to remember.

Best solution to strikes? Make it clear there will be no overtime to make up for the working time lost when they go back, make sure that striking will hit them longer term in the pocket like they try to hit the employer on the bottom line. Bring in temps while they're on strike, arrest any that try to stop them and make it an automatic large fine - say £5,000. Ultimately if they refuse to attend work for a period without good justification hold them in breach of the contracts they were perfectly happy to sign at the time they were hired and sack them.
    The simple solution which was used in the mid 1970’s was a monthly cost of living payment when the inflation rate was above a certain level.
    I cannot remember exactly what the inflation rate had to be before the monthly cost of living payment was paid but it might have been around 15% which is a bit higher than todays Retail Prices Index (RPI) figure which in my opinion should be used not the lower Consumer Prices Index (CPI) figure.

Folk work Sundays just now on overtime, they want to make it compulsory to work one in four Sundays, it will still be a five day week but new starts will go to a 40 hour six day week
    I think that new starts having different conditions is the result of management's inability to persuade the current workforce to change their terms and conditions. It looks to me as though the delivery of mail is a declining market and the unions are fighting a battle that has already been lost by their bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    I think that new starts having different conditions is the result of management's inability to persuade the current workforce to change their terms and conditions. It looks to me as though the delivery of mail is a declining market and the unions are fighting a battle that has already been lost by their bosses.
    The union has agreed to change, in fact in nearly 40 years working there all we’ve seen is change, the management higher up don’t know how to implement it so are going in all guns blazing, there is a bigger picture to this, it will come out eventually and Royal Mail will be owned by foreign investors,

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    About 15 years ago a postman on Islay told me that the delivery of junk mail paid his wages.
    I do not know if this is still the case as we no longer get the same amount of junk mail delivered as back then.
    Perhaps these companies are now bombarding us with emails instead of having them delivered to our homes.

The union has agreed to change, in fact in nearly 40 years working there all we’ve seen is change, the management higher up don’t know how to implement it so are going in all guns blazing, there is a bigger picture to this, it will come out eventually and Royal Mail will be owned by foreign investors,
    The Royal Mail could be profitable if they did not have this nonsense of them having to deliver mail from private mail firms. If these private mail firms want to muscle in on the lucrative U.K. mail delivery market then should have been forced to employ their own postal delivery employees.
    Does anyone know when the delivery of mail on a Saturday will end.
    It will certainly make it a lot easier for the Royal Mail to employ staff if they do not have to take their turn of working on a Saturday delivering mail.

Quote Originally Posted by islaydarkblue View Post
    The Royal Mail could be profitable if they did not have this nonsense of them having to deliver mail from private mail firms. If these private mail firms want to muscle in on the lucrative U.K. mail delivery market then should have been forced to employ their own postal delivery employees.
    Does anyone know when the delivery of mail on a Saturday will end.
    It will certainly make it a lot easier for the Royal Mail to employ staff if they do not have to take their turn of working on a Saturday delivering mail.
    They're trying to force emploiyees to work on a Sunday so I can't see them stopping Saturday working.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)