+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The £ v the $

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    In that case this is an opportunity for Labour then isn't it?

Next General Election, run on a platform to rejoin the Eu.

Oh wait........they'll be scared of not regaining "The Red Wall" seats.

As usual, not knowing which way to face and thus continue standing for nothing.

They should show a set of bo l l ox, stop worrying about the above and attract the Eu type Tory voters and the wasted Lib Dem vote and maybe regain a few Scottish seats from the SNP by being pro Eu like Sturgeon.

I'm past caring whether we stay out or go back into the Eu but if I was the Labour leader I would be driving this policy home to my MP's and to my grassroots and telling them they need to either sign up or find another home.

I have absolutely no doubt Labour would win a landslide and that a second referendum would see at least a 55% to 45% vote in favour of a return to the Eu and it'd probably destroy the Tory party.

I don't know who advises Labour but whoever they are they're idiots, they need to rad the above.

100% agree with all that and yes another vote on Brexit would be a big yes to go back in. Let’s be honest it was controlled immigration that tipped the Brexit vote to leave. Many did not get the fact EU nationals were never the problem - it’s all those dinghies full of illegals coming in even now in record numbers.

I am fluent in Spanish and lived most of my younger life until 35 in Spain but it sucks now - you can only stay there for 3 months without a residents permit! My dream was to retire in Spain away from this s hit tip!

Labour won’t have the bollox to be pro EU again but they should - it would work massively in their favor!

In that case this is an opportunity for Labour then isn't it?

Next General Election, run on a platform to rejoin the Eu.

Oh wait........they'll be scared of not regaining "The Red Wall" seats.

As usual, not knowing which way to face and thus continue standing for nothing.

They should show a set of bo l l ox, stop worrying about the above and attract the Eu type Tory voters and the wasted Lib Dem vote and maybe regain a few Scottish seats from the SNP by being pro Eu like Sturgeon.

I'm past caring whether we stay out or go back into the Eu but if I was the Labour leader I would be driving this policy home to my MP's and to my grassroots and telling them they need to either sign up or find another home.

I have absolutely no doubt Labour would win a landslide and that a second referendum would see at least a 55% to 45% vote in favour of a return to the Eu and it'd probably destroy the Tory party.

I don't know who advises Labour but whoever they are they're idiots, they need to rad the above.
    Spot on Michael, really good post.

Going to put more pressure on UK sterling..........EU gone for big rate increase.

The European Central Bank has lifted interest rates across the eurozone by a record amount, as policymakers try to curb inflation.
    The ECB’s governing council has voted to raise all three key interest rates by 75 basis points, or 0.75% percentage points – a bigger hike than ever before.
    This pushes the ECB’s ‘main refinancing rate’ to 1.25%, up from 0.5%, while the ‘marginal lending rate’ paid by banks borrowing from the ECB goes up to 1.25%.
    The deposit facility (paid on bank deposits) rises to 0.75% from 0% (it was negative until late July, when the ECB started raising rates).

As a saver....it's about bleeding time saving rates were increased. Been a joke this last fif**** years with negativity saving rates.

Currencies are not suppose to move like stocks.....

Currencies
    GBP

Change
    GBP against USD /USD

-3.22%

$1.0901

GBP against Euro /EUR

-1.94%

€1.1224

GBP against Yen /JPY

-2.63%

¥156.0535

The “market” is taking the p I s s with the £ at the moment.

There’s no way £ v $ parity makes any sense.

Algorithms and speculators bending the market.

The “market” is taking the p I s s with the £ at the moment.

There’s no way £ v $ parity makes any sense.

Algorithms and speculators bending the market.
    But that is what the market does nowadays Mick.
    All currencies are a form of pyss take anyway. That been said, I would probably rather hold $s and €s then £s at this moment in time.

Free fall continues...I hope you locked in your holiday currency mick....

Quote Originally Posted by Dubbag View Post
    Free fall continues...I hope you locked in your holiday currency mick....

One of our businesses buys in the dollar and being killed as prices have had to increase around 30% in last few months. We can’t lose money but like everything with prices too high - consumers won’t buy!

Interest rates predicted to increase again by a full 1% so pointless having a stamp duty cut for first time buyers when interest rates have rocketed to get a mortgage.

Your Laughing though if you are on 150K a year but if not - buy a violin and a cap and earn money to survive!

So much for a budget to help the needy and those struggling to put food on the table!! Absolute w ankers!

A large part of the problem is the currency speculators though.

It’s becoming more and more apparent to me that governments don’t really have any control of the economy anymore.

The money men , the “markets” control everything.

If any government wants to try something different ( this might be something a lot of us either agree with or don’t agree with ) it actually doesn’t matter.

If things are not being done in the centre ground or just a tad to the right or to the left of centre then the “markets” give a massive tug on the invisible leash to pull us back to where they want us.

It seems to me that the government just can’t win.

Everyone moaning about energy prices and cost of living so government gives energy support to individuals and business and tax break to both.

The markets don’t like it so the £ gets driven into the ground and it looks like interest rates will rise significantly to help bolster the £.

Then people start moaning because their mortgage repayments rise, wiping out the help they’ve been given!

There seems to be no way of squaring the circle.

Put a finger in the dyke and another leak springs out elsewhere.......or multiple leaks!

A large part of the problem is both us as people and also the media.

We as people want instant fixes and help from government because we no longer accept their are ups and downs in the economy.

In the 70’s, 80’s and 90’s we had recessions and we just sucked it up and weathered the storm as a public, people nowadays want instant gratification and are not willing to see a drop in their living standards.

The media are constantly negative about everything, they don’t give anything a chance to succeed or fail, the public are so depressed at hearing this stuff every day that we are into a spiral of self fulfilling doom.

For the record, I don’t think this was a good budget.

Raising lower earners tax thresholds and hammering energy companies with windfall taxes was the way to go.

I would’ve also implemented a tax on the likes of Facebook, Google and Amazon and based it not on profits but on the turnover they do within the U.K.

Big players can easily fiddle how much profit they make but they can’t fiddle how much turnover they do in a region.

This is the way to catch them.

City bankers were bosting the weekend, of making a lot of money shorting the pound on Friday.
    Anyone watched Skandell on Netflix, about bringing down the German Wirecard.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)