+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dangers of unfounded rumours and negativity our club.

Dangers of unfounded rumours and negativity our club.

I read an article recently in the Scotsman about the removal of Ernest Robertson name from one of our hosp lounge. The piece goes into great detail about the importance of the Robertson to our club, dating back to the 1920’s, and rightly so. However the piece points the finger at the current regime as being responsible for this. Today the club have released a statement on the official. Outlying the fact that the previous custodians were the ones responsible for this, and that the Robertson family had been invited to the club where they received an apology and proposed options going forward to rectify this. The statement also points out that had the Scotsman contacted them prior to going to print they would have provided the above information.

This is clearly an example of how unfounded rumours. Coupled by poor/ lazy journalist investigation can cast a shadow over our current boards operations. Such unfounded rumours can quickly spread pictures of shaky foundations at the club and cause divisions amongst the fans. Something we all have to be aware off.

Totally agree. As far as the fans are concerned there is a noisy bunch that will criticise whoever is running the club, especially if first team results aren't good. At the moment TA is feeling the brunt of that and the nonsense going around at the moment is off the scale.

I'm not entirely sure where this comes from but I can remember it being around for my whole time supporting the club which stated when JYM was manager. Just as well his tenure preceded social media...

If certain fans get their wishes and TA is removed from the club who will be the next to get the blame for the current state the club is in. Did you see what celtic done to sevco at the weekend, they are so far ahead just now in Scottish footie. We were holding our own against them (I know we are not playing well) and were behind after a couple of offside goals, 2nd phase lets you be offside then collect a pass and score. I still dont know when 1st ends and 2nd begins. How can we get a new man in if he knows that if a couple of players dont like him they will down tools and the manager gets the blame, I hate the booing that goes on after a bad performance as the players themselves know if they have had a bad game without fans shouting at them.

Quote Originally Posted by Arabknight View Post
    I read an article recently in the Scotsman about the removal of Ernest Robertson name from one of our hosp lounge. The piece goes into great detail about the importance of the Robertson to our club, dating back to the 1920’s, and rightly so. However the piece points the finger at the current regime as being responsible for this. Today the club have released a statement on the official. Outlying the fact that the previous custodians were the ones responsible for this, and that the Robertson family had been invited to the club where they received an apology and proposed options going forward to rectify this. The statement also points out that had the Scotsman contacted them prior to going to print they would have provided the above information.

This is clearly an example of how unfounded rumours. Coupled by poor/ lazy journalist investigation can cast a shadow over our current boards operations. Such unfounded rumours can quickly spread pictures of shaky foundations at the club and cause divisions amongst the fans. Something we all have to be aware off.
    The bit in bold is the only thing i agree with, but i think you are over-egging the rest!

For all the rumours that have been rife over the last wee while, this is the one that made it to print? Never heard of any issues with names being dropped from whatever hospitality lounge that exist at Tannadice, and fully expect that the names will be changed on a regular basis as time rolls by. Quite frankly its the least of our problems just now and deflecting from the real issues that are for all to see on the park.

As important as the Robertsons contribution in our history is, im sure this has its place in the recording of our history, and while the removal of the name was undertaken by the previous regime, its the current owners baw, and i fully expect them to do what they want with their baw. From what was said yesterday, its not the rumour of name changing in the lounges that has cut hospitality attendance, its whats provided in the packages!

Quote Originally Posted by Chick A Saw View Post
    The bit in bold is the only thing i agree with, but i think you are over-egging the rest!

For all the rumours that have been rife over the last wee while, this is the one that made it to print? Never heard of any issues with names being dropped from whatever hospitality lounge that exist at Tannadice, and fully expect that the names will be changed on a regular basis as time rolls by. Quite frankly its the least of our problems just now and deflecting from the real issues that are for all to see on the park.

As important as the Robertsons contribution in our history is, im sure this has its place in the recording of our history, and while the removal of the name was undertaken by the previous regime, its the current owners baw, and i fully expect them to do what they want with their baw. From what was said yesterday, its not the rumour of name changing in the lounges that has cut hospitality attendance, its whats provided in the packages!
    Disagree with all of this too to be honest too. But that’s what the boards for. To voice your opinion without taking it personally.

Without Ernest Robertson contribution to out club I think it’s safe to say we as a club may well not be here. There are very few personnel at any club who can or shld be remembered due to the contribution that they have made to ensure either success or survival. The memory of Ernest Robertson is clearly under written in our clubs history and for me should not be forgot or removed. However that’s not what I was trying to convey.

What I was trying to highlight was the fact that some take rumours at face value without either hearing or basing it on any fact. The article is by the by but the clubs response in my opinion illustrates the importants of hearing both sides before making an opinion The initial article opened the doors for more criticism of the current board. The point of this thread was to shown how easily things can be misconstrued or interpreted. I’m not for one minute trying to say that everything reported is rubbish but merely attempting to underline the issues and dangers of unfounded rumours which can easily spread unwarranted negativity.

And it's a great point well made. 👍

Quote Originally Posted by Arabknight View Post
    Disagree with all of this too to be honest too. But that’s what the boards for. To voice your opinion without taking it personally.

Without Ernest Robertson contribution to out club I think it’s safe to say we as a club may well not be here. There are very few personnel at any club who can or shld be remembered due to the contribution that they have made to ensure either success or survival. The memory of Ernest Robertson is clearly under written in our clubs history and for me should not be forgot or removed. However that’s not what I was trying to convey.

What I was trying to highlight was the fact that some take rumours at face value without either hearing or basing it on any fact. The article is by the by but the clubs response in my opinion illustrates the importants of hearing both sides before making an opinion The initial article opened the doors for more criticism of the current board. The point of this thread was to shown how easily things can be misconstrued or interpreted. I’m not for one minute trying to say that everything reported is rubbish but merely attempting to underline the issues and dangers of unfounded rumours which can easily spread unwarranted negativity.
    Agreed. Why only now has this come to light and how did The Scotsman manage to get hold of the (inaccurate) story? I'd guess that someone with a dislike for the current regime decided to contact The Scotsman and dish what they thought was dirt on the current regime without actually knowing the truth themselves. Cannot f*cking stand the rumours about our club just now. With the mess that's going on on the park, we could do without people making up sh*te off it.

It's actually quite mind boggling the Scotsman journalist never bothered to contact the club about this. Shows their standards (as an organisation) up in a very poor light to be honest.

is it that BNB w@nker Putinillo ?

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Agreed. Why only now has this come to light and how did The Scotsman manage to get hold of the (inaccurate) story? I'd guess that someone with a dislike for the current regime decided to contact The Scotsman and dish what they thought was dirt on the current regime without actually knowing the truth themselves. Cannot f*cking stand the rumours about our club just now. With the mess that's going on on the park, we could do without people making up sh*te off it.
    Below is the so called journalist responsible for the Robertson story.

https://www.theguardian.com/football...nited-scotland

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)