+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Rams Rivals

I can add the White Shirted Yorkshire club to the list, the reasons for which I have detailed in the past. Another bunch of inbred tw@s.

I wonder if Mr/Ms. McKeever has generated such a response from other clubs. Maybe he/she should just join our forum.
    I’m surprised that personal experience plays such a part in defining ‘rivalry’.
    Personally my worst experience with fans has been with ‘supporters’ of West Ham, Millwall, Chelsea, Grimsby, Wrexham and...on just one memorable occasion...Derby, but it hasn’t left me feeling particularly hostile to their supporters in general...well apart from Millwall perhaps who I always particularly enjoy beating but never consider as ‘rivals’.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I can add the White Shirted Yorkshire club to the list, the reasons for which I have detailed in the past. Another bunch of inbred tw@s.
    I've watched a lot of footy in European holidaymakers bars over the years and that club's fans stand out by some distance as the poorest losers and most ungracious winners, not sure that makes them rivals but certainly makes them a breed I am glad I'm not one of

Did anybody on here go to Chester when we played them in the FA Cup back in Jan '71?? We won 1 - 2 as I recall. Didn't expect any trouble there but my God we had a battle royal after the game. Having said that I don't consider Chester a rival.
    I think the real issue at that time was BC related in that he was a natural target for other clubs fans, after all he was well into building his 'old big head image'! At most away games that made us Rams the target of their anti-Clough feelings. Mind you inter-club punch-ups at that time was bog standard so throw in the BC effect and the fact that on the pitch we were ducking good anything and everything went!
    Mmmm, good times despite the occasional 🤕!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Did anybody on here go to Chester when we played them in the FA Cup back in Jan '71?? We won 1 - 2 as I recall. Didn't expect any trouble there but my God we had a battle royal after the game. Having said that I don't consider Chester a rival.
    I think the real issue at that time was BC related in that he was a natural target for other clubs fans, after all he was well into building his 'old big head image'! At most away games that made us Rams the target of their anti-Clough feelings. Mind you inter-club punch-ups at that time was bog standard so throw in the BC effect and the fact that on the pitch we were ducking good anything and everything went!
    Mmmm, good times despite the occasional ��!
    I remember that match well and we did win 1-2. It wasn't Chester behind the trouble, it was Citeh. Jan 2 1971. Why they were there I'm not sure as they were at home to Wigan and won 1-0. 46K crowd at Maine Road so maybe they couldn't get in?

A well known Derby window cleaner was arrested that day and got 3 months inside. Why? Derby fans passing a building site on one side, Citeh at the other side of the building site. They started lobbing house bricks. The Derby fan in question caught one just before it contacted his head and launched it back whence it came. Immediately collared by Plod.

I recall the bricks MA, the cops were about as much use as the proverbial chocolate fireguard! My golf umbrella came in handy both in the defensive and offensive mode (to use modern football parlance)!!
    The joys of following your team!!

What's all the fuss about Sheffield Wednesday? Sheffield is a big city therefore there's more fans to watch the local club. That's all. they have potential just as any club has potential whether its Man Utd or Rochdale. What's a big club anyway? The best indicator of a big club is history, success, etc. Sheffield Wednesday haven't won anything for 40 years and even then it was the FA Cup's little brother. Big club my eye.

Quote Originally Posted by GUNTERYY36 View Post
    What's all the fuss about Sheffield Wednesday? Sheffield is a big city therefore there's more fans to watch the local club. That's all. they have potential just as any club has potential whether its Man Utd or Rochdale. What's a big club anyway? The best indicator of a big club is history, success, etc. Sheffield Wednesday haven't won anything for 40 years and even then it was the FA Cup's little brother. Big club my eye.
    I think we’ve done this, Gunt. It’s a combination of history, current achievement and potential. Like us Wednesday have little in terms of current/recent achievement...but in terms of history and potential they have plenty so that, even at League 1 level, a side that looks capable of success will be attracting top twenty/low thirty thousand crowds...something that, with respect, Barnsley or Rochdale will never do.

History? They have plenty? I very much doubt that anyone on this board was alive when they won something other that the pee wee cup over 30 years ago. Before that Hitler was pretty much in short trousers when they last won the league (first division) or the FA Cup. In terms of history, the Old Etonians and The Wanderers have appeared in as many cup finals as SW.

So claim potential perhaps but can you really claim history that means anything to even the grandfathers of today's SW fans?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    History? They have plenty? I very much doubt that anyone on this board was alive when they won something other that the pee wee cup over 30 years ago. Before that Hitler was pretty much in short trousers when they last won the league (first division) or the FA Cup. In terms of history, the Old Etonians and The Wanderers have appeared in as many cup finals as SW.

So claim potential perhaps but can you really claim history that means anything to even the grandfathers of today's SW fans?
    Or...1966 FA Cup Finalists.
    Top division for all but one of 16 seasons from 1984.
    Finished 5th in 1985-86.
    Finished 3rd in 1991-92.
    League Cup winners in 1991.
    FA and League Cup finalists in 1992-93.
    Finished 7th in 1997.
    Play at Hillsborough...one of the most famous, if most underdeveloped, stadiums in the country with a capacity - even having been reduced - still of approaching 35,000.
    Bit pushed for time but I think that’s all correct. Makes them a big club/sleeping giant imo.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)