+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Have we reached our peak?

I think we don't get that extra few thousand due to us not 1 or 2 marquee signings that make the floating supporter sit up & think we are really serious about making a go for this league.
    Whilst we constantly yoyo from lge1 & championship folk will refuse to spend much on us...just about 9,000 loyal ones.
    I'd have liked 15,000 seater to start when nys was built but I'll not lose any sleep over it..
    I do think if we stay up this time, comfortably mind, & make 1 or 2 signings that get the pulses running then maybe we will attract a fair few more...
    We need other investment thought.

While ever we are a yo-yo club we won’t increase attendances .

Agreed.. we will attract more if we consolidate in this league but we need to do that 1st..

When we’re still in championship next season then TS will be thinking about extending, sponsors will come and fans will follow depending on high cost of living

Quote Originally Posted by millertop View Post
    When we’re still in championship next season then TS will be thinking about extending, sponsors will come and fans will follow depending on high cost of living
    I don't think he will. Costs are going up. Interest rates are going up. He needs 2 more years of Championship status and the TV money before he does anything. We've no idea how much a financial hit we took last season in League 1. The outstanding borrowings on the stadium are calculated at base rate + a percentage.

Next step for us is to start selling a player every 12 months for decent money.

If these cost of living increases continue and inflation hits double digits, season ticket prices will go up with a bang. How are families going to afford it?

Quote Originally Posted by howdydoo View Post
    I don't think he will. Costs are going up. Interest rates are going up. He needs 2 more years of Championship status and the TV money before he does anything. We've no idea how much a financial hit we took last season in League 1. The outstanding borrowings on the stadium are calculated at base rate + a percentage.

Next step for us is to start selling a player every 12 months for decent money.

If these cost of living increases continue and inflation hits double digits, season ticket prices will go up with a bang. How are families going to afford it?
    Indeed. Furthermore, we will see more business' go to the wall than ever before, it will be a total domino effect where folk can't go out for a meal and restaurants close. Pubs will be a thing of the past. Brewers out of work and it will continue and continue. Forget about football, that will be a luxury.

As for booking a holiday abroad forget that one for a lot of people. This will again have an effect and tourism abroad may well go into a meltdown.

If I remember correctly, our biggest average crowd was just above 15,000 in our best ever 1955 season. That was at a time the ground held 25,000, and many teams had crowds above 50,000.
    As a fan since the late 60's, I think our crowds now are excellent.

Basically football in the EFL is over capacity.

A finite number of fans shared amongst too many clubs.

For our core support to increase we would need to see one or more local clubs going bust. For example we could pick up fans from Donny or Barnsley. It would of course have to coincide with us doing well to act as the “ magnet”

The same applies to Lancashire with Oldham, Rochdale etc

The number of fans prepared to get out of their armchairs and travel to a live match are getting less and less

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post

For our core support to increase we would need to see one or more local clubs going bust. For example we could pick up fans from Donny or Barnsley. It would of course have to coincide with us doing well to act as the “ magnet”

The number of fans prepared to get out of their armchairs and travel to a live match are getting less and less
    I don't think many current day fans would defect to a 'rival' if their team went under. I know Barnsley is on your doorstep Grist but would you go there if RUFC ceased to exist. It would probably take a least one and probably more generations before it became 'acceptable' for fans to migrate (although I know many do so already a.k.a. Rotherham Owls).

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post

Plus the ‘magic’ stick hasn’t helped. Apparently from the comfort of your armchair in all weathers outside, you can watch any game any time, this I believe is seeing attendances fall or, not increase.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast