+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dave's take on the Bristol City and PNE games...

Dave's take on the Bristol City and PNE games...

Dave Thornley gives us a two-game review from which we collected four points. I think it should have been all six.

Dave writes: Whatever one’s views are, and wherever one’s allegiances lie; it cannot be denied that this has been an historic week of seismic events in the story of our nation. Football, of course, was obliged to reflect that. Burnley’s home game with the then league leading Norwich City was scheduled for the Friday evening following the Queen’s death the previous day. It was postponed along with all the other matches that weekend.

Subsequent fixtures have all involved impeccably observed minutes of silence followed by the national anthem, with cleverly modified lyrics.

Burnley therefore resumed their campaign at Deepdale the following Tuesday evening against Preston North End; a fixture rich in tradition but one which hadn’t been contested for many seasons.
    It was a hard-fought and demanding game with clear cut chances at a premium, largely due to Preston’s policy of defending deep and in numbers. Despite picking away at the seams of North End’s defensive blanket, it stubbornly refused to unravel.

Taylor Harwood-Bellis’ header from Josh Brownhill’s corner gave Burnley an early lead which was equalised by Preston’s Storey also from a corner and aided by Aro Muric’s unfortunate slip and Josh Cullen’s attempts to clear from the goal line whilst stood behind it.
    The match did not lack for the sort of atmosphere this sort of fixture played in front of a capacity crown can generate, but sadly the football did not quite rise to the occasion.

Two negative tendencies have become a feature of Burnley’s play this season: a failure to close out games in which they have dominated possession and held the lead and a vulnerability defending corner kicks.

The Preston game joined those against Luton, Hull and Blackpool in the former category and yesterday’s home game against Bristol City became the third in succession in the latter.

That was though the only negative aspect of Burnley’s play yesterday as the Clarets overcame one of the division’s better outfits with a strong and skilful display, particularly in the second half.

Manuel Benson, slippery as an eel and with the close control and low centre of gravity reminiscent of a young Diego Maradona, gave Burnley an early lead as defenders – no doubt fearful of the Belgian winger’s trickery - backed off him inviting a shot which found the bottom corner of the Bristol goal.

That was in the fourth minute, but any notion that the goal would become the pre-curser to a rout were firmly rebuffed when the Robins drew level when former Claret Nahki Wells touched in a loose ball to conclude a goal-mouth melee following a corner.

Burnley need to be more organised, more decisive and communicate better from set pieces. It is a weakness which has caused them to leak points and must be addressed.

As the first half developed Nathan Tella and Josh Brownhill both had decent chances, but half time arrived with the scores still level.
    Burnley’s possession football and patient build up play doesn’t always find favour with Clarets fans, but the rewards of the policy were evident in the second half when the visitors visibly tired from an afternoon spent being pulled around the length and breadth of Turf Moor, mistakes usually follow, and space is conceded and so it proved.

Johann Berg Gudmundsson replaced Benson just before the hour mark and it was his cross twelve minutes or so later which found Jay Rodriguez’ top knot, his header was steered neatly into the far corner, a true centre forward’s finish.

Being surrounded by so many bright young things seems to have provided both Rodriguez and Jack Cork with a spring in their step. Both were excellent yesterday as was Taylor Harwood-Bellis who continues perform at a consistently high level.

In addition, there was a second impressive cameo appearance from the bench for Anass Zaroury, who was pacy and incisive after coming on for Tella on the left wing. There is hopefully more to come from him as the season develops.

Burnley now go into the international break in fourth place and basking in the warm glow of yesterday’s impressive performance and the points which have come with it.

Editor’s note: I really like how the squad can be utilised and players rotated, it is also refreshing to be able to change the pattern of a game from the bench. Vincent Kompany is producing work which has much to admire. (TEC.)

Attachment 22592

"Two negative tendencies have become a feature of Burnley’s play this season.................................... a vulnerability defending corner kicks."

Should a team with a 6ft 5ins goalkeeper be vulnerable at corner kicks ? My gut feeling is that we shouldn't be, but I don't go to the games, what do those that do think is the problem ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    "Two negative tendencies have become a feature of Burnley’s play this season.................................... a vulnerability defending corner kicks."

Should a team with a 6ft 5ins goalkeeper be vulnerable at corner kicks ? My gut feeling is that we shouldn't be, but I don't go to the games, what do those that do think is the problem ?
    Muric does not seem to dominate his six yard box like Pope did. He rarely comes to catch the ball like Nick used to. That does not help.

The Preston goal was partly down to Cullen not staying on or in front of the line.

It was mentioned that we use “zonal marking”. If that is correct I question why. I have never understood the perceived benefit of it compared to man marking. More knowledgable people may be able to enlighten me.

Looking back at pre-season many of us had fears about the future. Sitting 4th with an improving team that is scoring goals and bossing matches, I couldn’t be happier!

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    Looking back at pre-season many of us had fears about the future. Sitting 4th with an improving team that is scoring goals and bossing matches, I couldn’t be happier!
    My own sentiments Swiss, the second half of the season could be awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post

What surprised me the most was the quality of the two corners. Both were swung in flat towards the near post which takes Muric out of the equation. Our Ashley Westwood can do it; we have no other player who can. Looks like we might need to put Jay Rod on the near post because he can defend corners with his head.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    What surprised me the most was the quality of the two corners. Both were swung in flat towards the near post which takes Muric out of the equation. Our Ashley Westwood can do it; we have no other player who can. Looks like we might need to put Jay Rod on the near post because he can defend corners with his head.
    Good point BT. As an ex player what are your views on zonal marking and are we doing that?

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    Good point BT. As an ex player what are your views on zonal marking and are we doing that?
    I don't think professional coaches put enough thought into this, but I know Sean Dyche did.

Match up size for size, no short arses marking 6 foot plus giants, have two small players on the posts, try and clear a path for your keeper like Mee and Tarkowski did for Pope, no zonal marking, go man for man and make your keeper shout instructions like Heaton did for Dyche.

I watched Everton v West Ham today both Coady and Tarkowski "did a Dyche" and defended with blocks, headers and total commitment. Lampard has obviously peeked into Dyche's coaching manual on how to defend.

I suggest VK takes a peep into its pages ASAP. I'm pretty sure VK is aware of the threat Championship teams pose from set pieces and I'm equally certain he will be working on it.

Sinkov once said on here it would be almost impossible to replace the defensive efficiency of Mee, Tarkowski and Pope, but I seriously think once Muric, TBH and Beyer really gel they will run our old fabulous three close.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Match up size for size, no short arses marking 6 foot plus giants
    I remember once when we played Stockport John Pender man marked Kevin Francis out of the match, he hardly got a touch.

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    I remember once when we played Stockport John Pender man marked Kevin Francis out of the match, he hardly got a touch.
    Care to join me on the defensive coaching staff my mate.

Quote Originally Posted by kritichris View Post
    One of my earliest memories on't Turf is us playing Blackpool and Stanley Matthews. Alex Elder must have been told to man mark Stanley and stuck to him like glue. Stan eventually got fed up with this close attention and started wandering all over the pitch with Elder following close behind like a dog on a lead. I was in my early ****s, hadn't seen much football, but even so I found it quite a bizarre sight. Stan was most certainly not impressed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)