+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Barnsley born players, who you would like in our current team ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadrack the Red View Post
    I forgot the biggest name of them all , Tommy Taylor !
    & Mark Jones .

Bless them both , tragic , it really was .

Duncan Sharp & Billy Houghton (Captain)

I used to drink with a fella who’s uncle (Beaumont summat,,,,,,) played for the reds, and ran greyhound’s. I can’t remember the full story, but he was from Crigglestone…. He was at Man U. But never made it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jules88 View Post
    I used to drink with a fella who’s uncle (Beaumont summat,,,,,,) played for the reds, and ran greyhound’s. I can’t remember the full story, but he was from Crigglestone…. He was at Man U. But never made it.
    Not sure Jules but Frank Beaumont played for us in the early sixties & he was a local lad , could it be him you are thinking about ?

It could well be Beaumont Asquith ? Born in Painthorpe/Crigglestone area , Frank Beaumont was a favourite of mine Shads , we had some good forwards around that Era , Ken Oliver, Frank Bartlett to name a few ,

Frank was still playing for Woolley Colliery when I started there as a young un. He was a good bloke. I seem to recall a player called Oliver, it might have been Ken but Harry Hough, Malcolm Lang, John Stainsby and Colin Grainger (played for England) were at the club in those days.

All were nice guys.

Later on when I was a veteran I remember playing against Franks son, Mark?, and had a chat with him about his Dad.

Good days them, Id have them back in a flash.

Some good names there Eths , John Stainsby had a Café next door to where i worked in Wombwell , spent some hours talking about football in there, his son Kevin runs restaurant/bar at Waterton Park GC , he previously ran Boatmans down Worsbrough , Remembered another favourite Bert Tindall , no Callums ,Cauleys , Jason's in them day's ,,

Quote Originally Posted by Romared View Post
    Some good names there Eths , John Stainsby had a Café next door to where i worked in Wombwell , spent some hours talking about football in there, his son Kevin runs restaurant/bar at Waterton Park GC , he previously ran Boatmans down Worsbrough , Remembered another favourite Bert Tindall , no Callums ,Cauleys , Jason's in them day's ,,
    Some good memories there Roma & I would throw in Billy Houghton who would be playing alongside Tindall , Oliver ,Beaumont & Bartlett also as I type another from that era has come into my noggin & that was Ron Smylie if I have spelt his name right. Happy days !!

I think Malc Lang had the post office at Cudworth. I seem to recall him been dropped off there after away trips. I remember Stainsby at The Boatmans but I didnt know his son.

It could well be Beaumont Asquith ? Born in Painthorpe/Crigglestone area , Frank Beaumont was a favourite of mine Shads , we had some good forwards around that Era , Ken Oliver, Frank Bartlett to name a few ,
    Beaumont Asquith it would be. As his relation was called Asquith. I should have twigged. I was drinking in the Lord Nelson at the time

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast