+ Visit Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: 80s & 90s forgotten classics.

The Who playing at Edinburgh Castle July this year. Was v tempted as hadn't seen them since 1976. Tickets a half decent seat £690 each !!! I'll stick to my folk festivals if you don't mind. Wont get conned again !

Quote Originally Posted by stewarty27 View Post
    The Who playing at Edinburgh Castle July this year. Was v tempted as hadn't seen them since 1976. Tickets a half decent seat £690 each !!! I'll stick to my folk festivals if you don't mind. Wont get conned again !
    *Spits out my tea!*

There's only two of them!

Quote Originally Posted by Donanddusted View Post
    *Spits out my tea!*

There's only two of them!
    Exactly.

I saw all four of them in Oct 75, and June 76. Sensational.

Then I saw them with Kenney on the traps in 79, and twice in the space of a week in Feb 81. It just wasn’t the same without Keith’s anarchic, erratic racket. As the programme from the 76 Boot In tour claimed, “he’s like an angry chef rattling through a kitchen full of saucepanns”. Now that the Ox has gone too (hookers and coke in a luxury hotel room? THAT’s a rock n roll death), it might still be an impressive show, but it isn’t The Who.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisconti's balls View Post
    https://youtu.be/mOBZ6ygWk7I

This one may not be forgotten. The lyrics I think means the disparaging difference between the wealthy & poor

Absolutely mate.

The wonderful Ronnie Lane,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ0AI_w_70w

Gone to soon.

Quote Originally Posted by stewarty27 View Post
    The wonderful Ronnie Lane,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ0AI_w_70w

Gone to soon.
    Fûcking hell. 50 years ago, I think.

The Poacher was possibly the best song he ever wrote.

A great album with Pete Townshend a few years later too.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    Fûcking hell. 50 years ago, I think.

The Poacher was possibly the best song he ever wrote.

A great album with Pete Townshend a few years later too.
    52 years ago.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jwa7KgVuypk

I’ve given up on Terry Reid, despite his hero status.

I’ve had it with his unreliability.

I saw him when Bruce Malament was still his joanna player at the Tunnels (bleezin but in great form), and the Lemon Tree (tipsy, but top class, and it was Phoenix who brought him a requested pint mid-set).

After Bruce died, things changed, I think.

I had to miss his Tunnels gig on 17 May 2008, so went to the Voodoo Rooms in Edinburgh the night before. He was sensational with the Cosmic Derelicts backing him (that B-bender Telecaster… ), and very good at Glasgow’s Winchester Club (no Minder cast in attendance).

He was totally out of it at Drummonds when Rumer toured with him (not Sarah’s best decision when recovering from a nervous breakdown) and would have been worse had he been successful in his pre-stage pursuit of *cough* Charles *cough*.

The final time I saw him was at CCA in Glasgow (the day Rooney scored a last-minute equaliser at Dens Park in what I think was the final match of the season). He was supported by Del Bromham of Stray who played a good set and promised to come back later to do some songs with Terry. Terry was pretty good, a bit boozy, but not to the detriment of the show, but there were constant monitor problems. He eventually went off to see if they might be fixed, having played perhaps 4/5 songs, but having spent longer on the rambling monologues between songs. I must have heard the Dennis Wilson/motorbike/liquor store anecdote every time I saw him. By the time he returned, about a third of the audience had left, the stage curfew meant that there was time for one more song, and no time to take Bromham back on.

Unreliable+++ and I don’t think I’d bother making the effort if he doesn’t.

His records are still works of art, like, and I could listen to Mayflies and Seed Of Memory forever. I would normally be tempted to turn the flamethrower on anyone criticising the semi-deity that is Brian Wilson, but Terry’s take on Don’t Worry Baby takes it to heights The Beach Biys’ version can’t match.
    Last edited by 57vintage; 02-04-2023 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 57vintage View Post
    I’ve given up on Terry Reid, despite his hero status.

I’ve had it with his unreliability.
    I'm giving Terry another chance at Ronnie Scott's in June. You never know when it may be the last opportunity. Neither Terry or I are getting any younger or healthier. While his solo performances can be 'like the curates egg' he generally nails it when he has the security of his 'London band' around him. As for his oft repeated stories... I prefer to think of them as important oral history. If I could name drop; Dennis Wilson, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Steve Marriott, Keith Richard and Barbara Streisand, I probably would. Ad infinitum. Terry Reid min! <3
    Last edited by hajduk; 03-04-2023 at 11:03 AM. Reason: fannying about

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast