+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: ....and Hartlepool

....and Hartlepool

So, no Chris Long for a further 5 to 6 weeks, virtually a third of the season will have by the time he makes his (expected) full return.
    Anyway, in the meantime, Agyei, Ainley and Uwakwe will have to get going in the goalscoring stakes. It's a shame about Agyei in that the first few games he looked a great asset as a goalscore in the number 9 position but has looked less useful since moving out to the wing. Nevertheless, CBR is definitely the best man in that position.
    Anyway, more than a week's break and, apparently, lots of conversations about a 'game of two halves' so will we bounce back?
    I'm hoping that they've worked on the lack of team play up front and can put in an attacking performance.
    So, as an article of faith, I'm going for a 2-1 win. Hopefully Ainley, Uwakwe or King will score + CBR, of course!

Seen the starting lineups, no real surprises. I think Uwakwe struggles to get involved when playing higher up the pitch. Less opportunities to find those key passes. Hopefully, all the work they've been doing, ref a more consistent, whole 90 minute performance will bear fruit. I'm going to agree with gazan and go for 2 - 1 to the alex.

Gonna be tough, but really pleased to see Kelvin back.

Subs bench looking stronger

Going for a 3-2 win
    FGS King

Giving 'pool too much time and space and letting them choose how the game is played. Ainley has given a penalty away by trying to play out of the box instead of just clearing it.
    Agyai still playing for himself.

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    Giving 'pool too much time and space and letting them choose how the game is played. Ainley has given a penalty away by trying to play out of the box instead of just clearing it.

Awful just what exactly have the management team and the team done in the last 10 days ? Uwakwe and King getting played through, Mellor poor, Thomas exposed and looks slow, CBR non existent, Ainley absolutely garbage, at least Agyei has gone past his man a couple of times but the end product non existent. Team too predictable governed by a lack of recruitment of resources this is professional football and we have been sussed out already.

So, judging from the stats we actually turned up for the second half (am at work ATM, so couldn't even watch on ifollow). Now we just need to knit our normal first half performance with something resembling that second half. Credit the manager though, for making the changes at half time. Bit concerning that he took Thomas off. Was he that bad, or was it injury?

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post

Awful spectacle 2 poor sides with very little quality in their ranks 1-1 about fair Crewe shaded the 2nd half but we’re absolutely dreadful in the first, set pieces terrible throw ins poor, corners not getting past the first man over hit free kicks, very poor technical ability on show. On a positive note King much better in the 2nd half and Finney junior got an assist which will do his confidence the power of good, Offord and McDonald did well against 2 strong center forwards and Agyei was the only attacker that showed occasional intent and deserved his tap in the rest of them need to take a long look in the mirror.

I can feel the (relative) early season optimism draining away. That was awful! 2nd half looked better but may have had a lot to do with a low confidence Hartlepool getting nervous with the possibility of a first win.
    Interesting , and fortunate, that AM brought on Finney jnr and not Adebisi for the LB position! Does that mean Finney is condemned to be a full-back?
    I also agree with view posted elsewhere that Zac is a better CB than LB.
    Lots of praise for Agyei on here but, I'm beginning to get frustrated with him. He clearly has talent and can often beat his marker but is consistently wasteful. He doesn't seem to be a team player.
    I also agree about Ainley. He is good in his position, so why move him? King also played well when given a clear role.
    Overall, I don't understand why we weren't set up to attack from the off. We were clearly there to 'contain' the opposition in the first, which is great away against Bradford but not so against Hartlepool. We should be playing a high line and press against teams like that, exploiting a lack of confidence in a team yet to win.
    I hope things change for Saturday.