+ Visit Dundee FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tims And They Banners The Other Night.

God save our gracious King,
    Long live our noble King,
    God save the King:
    Send him victorious,
    Happy and glorious,
    Long to reign over us:
    God save the King.

O Lord our God arise,
    Scatter his enemies,
    And make them fall:
    Confound*their politics,
    Frustrate their knavish tricks,
    On Thee our hopes we fix:
    God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
    On him be pleased to pour;
    Long may he reign:
    May he defend our laws,
    And ever give us cause
    To sing with heart and voice
    God save the King.

Don't see any reference to Scotland and it was only written in 18th century when we were pals.

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    God save our gracious King,
    Long live our noble King,
    God save the King:
    Send him victorious,
    Happy and glorious,
    Long to reign over us:
    God save the King.

O Lord our God arise,
    Scatter his enemies,
    And make them fall:
    Confound*their politics,
    Frustrate their knavish tricks,
    On Thee our hopes we fix:
    God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,
    On him be pleased to pour;
    Long may he reign:
    May he defend our laws,
    And ever give us cause
    To sing with heart and voice
    God save the King.

Don't see any reference to Scotland and it was only written in 18th century when we were pals.
    Look up verse six

Quote Originally Posted by Deeranged View Post
    Look up verse six
    When is it sung?

Quote Originally Posted by noahrab View Post
    When is it sung?
    Irrelevant, it's there

Irrelevant, it's there
    Irrelevant to a racist you mean.

What announcer are you talking about? Is there always an announcer that lets people know a national anthem is about to be played? Why is that? So that people are shamed into feeling they need to stand up out of 'respect' maybe?

Respect for who or what? The song? The composer? The subject? The government? The nation? The indocrination that the individual was subjected to as a child?

I don't know Dayster well enough to know whether he's less or more stupid than I am. I do know enough to know that neither of us are idiots and neither of us are easily led or gullible. Cna you honestly you're neither easily led nor gullible? Or do you stand and sing a song on command?
    Yes I can say that I'm either easily led nor gullible. I don't think I've ever stood and sung a song, on command or otherwise. I have though been at various occasions where a country's national anthem has been played, and even sung by others, and I've managed to stand as is the norm and let them have their few moments of something important to them.

Where your argument is falling down is that I'm not a monarchist nor do I sing the national anthem of the UK. What I do, and have argued that others could do, is stand respectfully. I even do that for the Corries folk song passed off as a national anthem some places here.

I'm convinced dayster isn't an idiot, really not convinced about you though.

Sometimes people make decisions based on what needs to be done at that time. Then they learn from experience that the decision they made might not have been the best one (retrospect is a great thing). However they get on with it, regret nothing and use the situation they find themselves in to their advantage to improve their lives, and their family's lives, immensely.

That's not stupid, that's making the most of a bad situation. Only for clever people that so you may not understand. The type of person that creates multiple user profiles on message boards just to troll definitely wouldn't understand that.
    They maybe do but I thought if someone joined the forces of theis country they had to swear some sort of allegiance? If I'm not wrong how does someone so against being part of that country swear an allegiance? Do they just lie, cross their fingers whilst swearing or have some other ritual that allows them to carry out that deception?

I wouldn't trust someone like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Deebunked View Post
    They maybe do but I thought if someone joined the forces of theis country they had to swear some sort of allegiance? If I'm not wrong how does someone so against being part of that country swear an allegiance? Do they just lie, cross their fingers whilst swearing or have some other ritual that allows them to carry out that deception?

I wouldn't trust someone like that.
    Much the same way lots of MPs and MSPs take the oath under protest.

Was reading an article this morning on the labour conference fringe event on the case for a republic which had MP Richard Burgon talk about how ridiculous the oath is and how many do under protest and state they serve the people above all else.

Joining the forces is no different to joining any other job, just more paperwork to get started but you do what you need to do

Quote Originally Posted by BCram View Post
    Great stuff Dayster. The single most illogical post I have ever read on Dundee Mad. God help us if you are an example of the alternative to the older generation. Apologies if you have been joking and I failed to pick up on the humour.
    It was an attempt at humour in response to the ridiculous post making sweeping generational assumptions based on a single post on here.

Quote Originally Posted by Deebunked View Post
    Even if he doesn't recognise it as his he could remain respectful.

Sitting for any national anthem is petty.

Probably stands for a corries folk song though
    Petty I remain.

Enjoy the commonwealth games when each nation played there own anthem which I would always respect

The royal anthem of a political union? Nah - it’s the equivalent of Ode to Joy of the EU.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)