+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Matchday Thread: Rams v Wycombe

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I blame Guardiola! trouble is he has many multi million pound players and could afford to drop the England No 1 goalkeeper and not play any other players who couldn't play the system he wanted. The majority of managers don't have that luxury!
    I fear there’s some truth in that. It’s a valid tactic for those with the talent, skills and confidence to employ it effectively. Speaking as a former RB the mantra always was, ‘don’t pass the (*******) thing across your own goal’. I know the game has changed but perhaps some of our lot would do well to relearn that.
    It can be a good tactic at certain times in certain game situations...but when the opposition knows this is your default strategy it ceases to be anything other than dangerously self destructive imo.

I posted my match report in the Gasroom 2.0 as well. They agreed with it saying they wished fans of other clubs were as sensible.....

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I fear there’s some truth in that. It’s a valid tactic for those with the talent, skills and confidence to employ it effectively. Speaking as a former RB the mantra always was, ‘don’t pass the (*******) thing across your own goal’. I know the game has changed but perhaps some of our lot would do well to relearn that.
    It can be a good tactic at certain times in certain game situations...but when the opposition knows this is your default strategy it ceases to be anything other than dangerously self destructive imo.
    However….and I’m not sure you go back this far rA , but many of the commentators of the time said Derby’s original golden age started when someone DID ‘put their foot on it’ and pass it out of defence rather than hoy it into the distance. Trouble is, the guy putting his foot on it was Mackay, his targets were Durban and O’Hare, I just dare to dream we find a trio like that amongst the chaff we can afford

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I posted my match report in the Gasroom 2.0 as well. They agreed with it saying they wished fans of other clubs were as sensible.....
    WTF is Gasroom 2.0? A Bristol Rovers fans version of DCFC Mad?

Theres nothing wrong with passing it out from the back, its this turning goalkeepers into an 11th outfield player and expecting them to be as good with their feet as they are with their hands that can cause issues. That and passing the ball sideways and backwards when going forward is whats needed.

Passing the ball across or in front of ones penalty area requires a higher class of player than Derby have

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    However….and I’m not sure you go back this far rA , but many of the commentators of the time said Derby’s original golden age started when someone DID ‘put their foot on it’ and pass it out of defence rather than hoy it into the distance. Trouble is, the guy putting his foot on it was Mackay, his targets were Durban and O’Hare, I just dare to dream we find a trio like that amongst the chaff we can afford
    Hmmm...but my point wasn’t about someone taking responsibility and putting their foot on the ball before passing it out of defence, Andy.
    It was about not fannying around across the front of our own goal...and yes...it would be wonderful to find another Mackay...McGrath, Stimac or even, at his best, Keogh but we don’t have that luxury yet...so let’s play to our, slightly more simple, strengths.

[QUOTE=ramAnag:
    'play to our, slightly more simple, strengths'.[/QUOTE]

Exactly, 'do the simple things well'! Leave the pretty stuff to Man City.
    In the 3rd tier that's what it all about, ask Arthur Cox!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    WTF is Gasroom 2.0? A Bristol Rovers fans version of DCFC Mad?
    GP, use your undoubted intellect and logic. Look at the title of this thread. That might just give you a clue.......

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)