+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marsch - Voice of Reason or Loudmouth ?

Marsch - Voice of Reason or Loudmouth ?

How many on here like the way Marsch conducts himself on & off the pitch ?

Every post-match interview Marsch gives it's been a no-bull**** approach in answering all questions asked.

Recently he's openly blamed himself for not using the subs quickly enough and also blamed the players for not following the tactical plan in the early stages of games - no dodging questions with this bloke.

I quite like his style of 'no nonsense' honesty and the way he doesn't take us fans for idiots - consistently tells it as it is to be fair.

Not sure how our older generation fans view his touchline antics ?

Not exactly conforming to how us today fans have to behave under the English Section 5 Public Order law otherwise your up before the Beak.
    (That youve used threatening, abusive or insulting words or behaviour;Within the hearing or sight of somebody likely to cause harassment, alarm or distress).

His pre-match pressers are always heavily savvy loaded with PR stuff for todays football critique circus to digest and his touchline antics are all very old school Leeds - regular passion and animated wind up's for sure - most of which are loved by the younger generation of Leeds fans that i regularly yap with.

Long may that continue ?
    Views anybody.

I'm 59 so probably classed as older generation. Like his honesty and like his passion on the touchline, if I was on the touchline I would be just as animated, especially when you get or don't get in the instance at Brentford of a certain penalty. Rather have his passion than a boring sit there and say nothing manager.

I too don't have a problem with his passion on the sideline. Shows the care factor I reckon.
    The interviews at times are just a tad cringeworthy to me, in that he lays on a little too often about everyone buying into his "ideologies"....and "philosophies"...and "processes" etc.. But if we keep picking up points, does anyone really care? ☺

The danger with shooting your mouth off is you need to back it up with results - if he does that it grates less.

Do think he is a bit naive sometimes though - telling the world he tries to put pressure on the officiates just put a target on his back with the officials.

Probability also partly cultural as our US cousins are better at talking for a long time on any subject.

Wonder what the players think of it - if they don’t like it then he has an issue.

At the risk of stereo typing. He is a yank. Prior to woke there were 10s of millions of us that thougtt and acted like him. Not so much anymore and many are old like me

I do worry about him having to back it up. Plenty of stories of coaches that couldn’t.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    At the risk of stereo typing. He is a yank. Prior to woke there were 10s of millions of us that thougtt and acted like him. Not so much anymore and many are old like me

I do worry about him having to back it up. Plenty of stories of coaches that couldn’t.
    Football in UK for sure is in the process of being sanitised to create a perceived better product and for sure the Radz saw that Leeds had vast untapped commercial potential across the world and used our tradition and our raw ER atmosphere etc to the max - that after all is what folks liked about English football with all it's full on raw emotion and 'that is' what we are at Leeds, what we always were and hopefully what we can be again in Europe.

As for our American love affair I'm really not sure if we've cracked it over there yet but I would think from an American point of view that if an English club somehow managed to thrive with an American presence in the club, that club might very well be Leeds and become 'the only club' over there to follow.
    Not sure all Leeds fans would accept that if our owners made a conscious effort to be the only PL team to follow in the USA as quite rightly it could be seen as a brazen commercial cash-raid over the traditions and wishes of the long time loyal support. For now the American impact has worked on the pitch but not quite off it BUT our part owners are showing,at least that they belong on it and hopefully more 49'ers cash will follow otherwise it'll be a swift return to those dystopian days of the Championship.

Presently were in the right place in our time frame (I think) and our young USA signings appear decent and play the right way for us - they've settled and certainly got the fans backing. So for now we need people buying Aaronson and Adams shirts so NBC or whatever channel PL football is shown will think we are a club that’s a must see.

I regularly read the New York Times take on PL & Euro leagues so it's only an opinion I'm stating regarding my Leeds/USA views - but I liked this NYT article on Marsch.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/04/s...ds-united.html

So yep I'm still optimistic about the direction we're going.

MT,

Have to point out something.

Reading the NYT and thinking that's an "American point of view" is a lot like reading the Daily star or Sunday star and thinking that's England. It's a propaganda piece similar to the Pyongyang Sun that caters to 30% of the country. That 30% think they own and control the country and are very quick to tell you how to live and take your money to redistribute it as they fit for their worldly view. They are the ones that give our country such as bad name/reputation to the rest of the world.

You'd probably get a better perspective from the Wall Street Journal or the interwebs.

However, Football is making headway in the US. Many of the bars play football matches on the tube and some are catering to supporters of some clubs. More importantly for the US the domestic league is getting better and many have very strong supporting groups.

Unfortunately, the one thing they will never overcome is relegation/promotion. we will always be a bush league as far as football goes. The same tired approach to pro sports that applies to baseball, basketball, hockey and throwball applies to the MSL. We get to experience the last place team in a sport playing another poor team at the end of the season while paying full price for a ticket. It's some of the lamest sporting "entertainment" you will ever experience. we'll never go up to the big time in football because of that.

Quote Originally Posted by spaldy View Post
    MT,

Have to point out something.

Reading the NYT and thinking that's an "American point of view" is a lot like reading the Daily star or Sunday star and thinking that's England. It's a propaganda piece similar to the Pyongyang Sun that caters to 30% of the country. That 30% think they own and control the country and are very quick to tell you how to live and take your money to redistribute it as they fit for their worldly view. They are the ones that give our country such as bad name/reputation to the rest of the world.

You'd probably get a better perspective from the Wall Street Journal or the interwebs.

However, Football is making headway in the US. Many of the bars play football matches on the tube and some are catering to supporters of some clubs. More importantly for the US the domestic league is getting better and many have very strong supporting groups.

Unfortunately, the one thing they will never overcome is relegation/promotion. we will always be a bush league as far as football goes. The same tired approach to pro sports that applies to baseball, basketball, hockey and throwball applies to the MSL. We get to experience the last place team in a sport playing another poor team at the end of the season while paying full price for a ticket. It's some of the lamest sporting "entertainment" you will ever experience. we'll never go up to the big time in football because of that.
    Get your point Spaldy - what paper do ya read then ?

Actually I only subscribe to the newsletter 'On Soccer' by Rory Smith who is a neutral football journalist and currently writes for the New York Times.

He's actually a Liverpool fan but is well known in England as he used to be football journalist with the Times & later the Guardian newspapers & also is a regular commentator for BBC Live 5 football matches & active on Twitter.

Speaking, reading & writing French all day grabbing a few moments of English keeps my brain in sync - such is life mate.

Knows his stuff with a great knowledge of the Euro Leagues & is part of the Football Supporters Association & Football Supporters Europe - so offers a neutral perspective often gained from supporters as well as direct from the clubs.
    (If you tap on his name at the top of his Marsch article you'll access some of his recent stuff).

The hotel I work in has all the major international papers in lounge so I do have a gander (look) at your Wall Street Journal even though it 'leans' to the right of my own political views.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rory_Smith_(journalist)

If he gets results I don't really care how he acts as long as it is in the best interests of Leeds United.

Him carrying on like a child on the touchline will soon become very irritating if we aren't winning games but if we are winning it is funny and endearing, such is the fickleness of football

Quote Originally Posted by joellufcprice View Post
    If he gets results I don't really care how he acts as long as it is in the best interests of Leeds United.

Him carrying on like a child on the touchline will soon become very irritating if we aren't winning games but if we are winning it is funny and endearing, such is the fickleness of football
    I was thinking much the same.

I guess he’ll totally go down in flames when his time comes, but he’s doing quite well in the strange circumstances under which he came to the club. Bielsa would’ve been a tough act for any manager to follow. It’s not always been pretty, but he certainly isn’t completely clueless and was possibly what we needed in the short term. I’m far less sure on the long term, but what do I know, eh?!

He seems to have been a similar character in his playing career, so it is presumably his genuine character we are seeing?

I’m finally catching up with the second series of Ted Lasso here. It’s unfortunate for Marsch that his move to England overlaps so closely, but I’m sure he sees the funny side, even if routinely getting called Ted must’ve got old for him by now.

Believe?!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)