+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the American franchise model

the American franchise model

The reality of this happening is very close.
    If Bournemouth get taken over by another American group, they will be the 10th PL club under American ownership.
    50% of the clubs - wow.

Richard Masters and his chums at the PL need to be very careful now, it takes a 14 team majority to change the rules of the way the PL is ran. Make no mistake, there will be more Americans buying English clubs.

Frightening.

I'd never thought about that aspect of it.

That would be the end for 'real' clubs and supporters. Franchises, no relegation, all-star games...all a load of shite.

The problem is that the Premier League exists to serve itself and its darling 'Big 6' and, by 'serve', I mean 'get the most money for' so they won't give two hoots where the money comes from or what happens to the other teams-they genuinely won't give a shit.

Imagine them trying to move teams to different Cities, like they do in American sports.

I see the Americans have offered UEFA the chance to hold the champions league final over there too.

I dont trust the yanks at all, they are all about the dollar no matter what it costs.

That t*t at Chelsea has already suggested a north v south all star game.
    The Americans’ll make the same mistake they always do - assume everyone likes what they do.

Very good point about the club ownership Tanya.

I also agree the prem won't care as long as the money flows, then when it stops they'll discover they don't have hte power to change things due to the yank representation in the league.

If they let the Yanks take over, football as we know it will disappear. Toronto has three franchised clubs, the Blue Jays are part of MLB, the Maple Leafs are part of the NHL and the Raptors are in the NBA. Nobody gets relegated and the party starts all over again next season, totally boring old boys club sh!te in my eyes.

The best thing for football, would be American owed clubs to be relegated, right ?

These Americans are the biggest danger to our game we will see. It won't be long before they get this North v South game they are after as well as rule changes to the game.

The North v South game will be like the Superbowl. Full of **** and full of players from Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Liverpool, Man Utd and Man City. And guess what, them clubs will be paid fortunes for releasing their players to play, keeping them well ahead of the rest financially through FFP.

Then we will have the other American owned clubs dealing with each other to keep support when it goes to a vote. If this is allowed I fear the PL going the same way Serie A did. Once the best league in the world and now a load of ****e.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)