+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Clitheroe

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    I can only think Sub that we haven't brought players in so far because we were only playing cup matches, and they'd probably have been cup tied. Now it's just League matches I would imagine there'll be 3/4 coming in over the next couple of weeks. If there's not we can forget about promotion.

Off the club Twitter feed,

"Marske were very gracious visitors and were an absolute pleasure to host. Inevitably the changing rooms were spotless. We always get on well with the North East teams. Best of luck in the next round lads."
    Always good to read stuff like that from the club Twitter, no matter where the opposition are from.
    Good luck for the rest of the season.

First of the new signings Sub, and he's from up your way, Darren Holden. a full back from Consett, also played for Hartlepool, Gateshead and South Shields. Apparently played for Consett in the Vase Final at Wembley. Do you know anything about him ?

First of the new signings Sub, and he's from up your way, Darren Holden. a full back from Consett, also played for Hartlepool, Gateshead and South Shields. Apparently played for Consett in the Vase Final at Wembley. Do you know anything about him ?
    Can't say that I have ever heard his name although he has been in the area for about 10 years! I found him on Wiki so hear you are:-

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren...n_(footballer)

Cheers Sub, even has his own Wiki page, that's impressive for a start. Played most of his career at a higher level, over 100 games for Consett, he'll do for me, the sort of signing we have to be making if we want to get promoted.

That bloody Stan again Sub, they're causing us two some problems this season, did you go on ?

I'd have been happier if your lads had won, but I am quite content tonight. Burnley score 4 in the 2nd half at Sunderland, while at Shawbridge Clitheroe were hanging on grimly to a precarious 2-1 lead against Newcastle Town, and then right out of the blue banged in five goals in the last 20 minutes to win 7-1.

Days like this don't come around too often.

That bloody Stan again Sub, they're causing us two some problems this season, did you go on ?

I'd have been happier if your lads had won, but I am quite content tonight. Burnley score 4 in the 2nd half at Sunderland, while at Shawbridge Clitheroe were hanging on grimly to a precarious 2-1 lead against Newcastle Town, and then right out of the blue banged in five goals in the last 20 minutes to win 7-1.

It's the lack of firepower that causes all of the consternation mon ami.

5 goals in 20 minutes are pretty impressive, mind you so is 4 in 40.

Hi sinkov, yes Stan managed their 5th win on the bounce yesterday, although Ashington will be kicking themselves. It was fairly even until the 30th minute when Ashington got a penalty. Ben Harmison, who is usually very reliable from the spot, stroked the ball and the keeper made a very good save, the ball rebounded to our top scorer and he hit the post with such power that the ball rebounded 25 yards up the pitch. A Stan player latched onto it and broke quickly and they scored. In effect, they scored from our penalty! lol
    We huffed and puffed from then, created a fair number of chances but Stan did a PL Burnley on us with blocks, goalline clearances, strategic fouls and a decent goalkeeping display to take all three points.

Our manager signed a number of players that were ageing but who had played at a higher level at the start of the season and we wondered if this may affect the loyal players who were not getting a game. Sadly, this is now what is happening and some have left. The problem being that, because of our playing so many matches, a number of the older players have lost a bit of form but we do not have decent replacements. As you are aware, such is non-league football.

Good win for your lads and the Clarets yesterday. Ken and I were thinking of going to the SoL yesterday but plumped for the easy trip to Woodhorn Lane instead. I am at the Turf next week because I am down in the area for music events on Thursday and Friday nights so staying for the match.

I love that penalty story Sub, it's a classic but that's football, sometimes you don't know whether to laugh or cry. We're still short on players at Clitheroe, but it seems they're going to run with 13 senior outfield players and make up any shortfall with the U21s. It does solve the problem you mention of players going elsewhere for a game, but if they're serious about play-offs and promotion, and they say they are, although 2/3 of the U21s are outstanding prospects, I think they're one or two experienced players light. We'll see.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)