+ Visit Carlisle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Proxima Centauri b is a planet orbiting the star Proxima Centauri.

Proxima Centauri b is a planet orbiting the star Proxima Centauri.

Proxima Centauri b is tidally locked. That is it does not spin. Thus when it orbits Proxima Centauri it always shows the same half to the star. The other half is in permanent natural darkness. The half that faces the star is uninhabitable because the direct ultraviolet light from the star reaches its surface. This light contains radiation such that no life can survive. (We survive our Sun's light because the Ozone Layer prevents nearly all of the radiation from getting through.)

The half of Proxima Centauri b that is always in natural darkness is attracting attention from scientists. This is because they have reason to believe that on this dark side of the planet there is a possibility that there may be light that is not produced in nature. It is extremely difficult to investigate this possibility but there are people working on it. Lots of people know about this. A few are getting excited about the implications.

Proxima Centauri b is a distance of 4.24 light years from Earth. If we could travel at the speed of light it would take 4.24 years to get there. The fastest crewed craft that we have built thus far would need to have its top speed increased by 270 times to reach a little less than 1% of the speed of light. So we are not going there and 'they' are not coming to Earth. Radio messages can travel at the speed of light and thus they would take 4.24 years to do the one way journey.

It is a fundamental law of physics that the only thing with mass that can move faster than the speed of light is the continuously expanding universe. Otherwise, the only other things that can move at the speed of light are objects without mass, i.e. signals in the radio spectrum such as radio signals, television signals, radar signals, laser light etc. This speed limit tends to annoy the folk who fantasize about the technologies of their imagined aliens. There may well be aliens but they cannot travel at anywhere near to the speed of light.
    Last edited by 6EQUJ5; 21-09-2022 at 12:03 AM.

My farts arrive at Proxima centauri in a flash. The above is a statement, you are supposed to frame posts that allow respondents to give an opinion.

So you state that mass CAN move faster than the speed of light, a fact you were unaware of till i put you right.

Which contradicts that things with no mass can travel at the speed of light.

So if mass can travel FASTER than the speed of light, then aliens can do whatever they wanted. All they need to do is find out how.

Just between you and me, i have seen aliens hitching a ride on my fart shockwave on the the way to Centauri.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    My farts arrive at Proxima centauri in a flash.

Just between you and me, i have seen aliens hitching a ride on my fart shockwave on the the way to Centauri.
    We can clearly see what a lack of sense there is in that.

Quote Originally Posted by Psaw View Post
    So you state that mass CAN move faster than the speed of light, a fact you were unaware of till i put you right.

Which contradicts that things with no mass can travel at the speed of light.

So if mass can travel FASTER than the speed of light, then aliens can do whatever they wanted. All they need to do is find out how.
    No, I have been aware for decades that nothing with mass can move at the speed of light, with the exception of the expansion of the universe. I have always expressed that clearly on here. You have chosen to deliberately 'misunderstand' my clear text about that.

Nothing with mass can travel faster than the speed of light. The only exception to this is the speed of expansion of the universe. You have deliberately chosen to try and 'smuggle through' using this exception, your mistaken belief that mass other than the expansion of the universe can travel at the speed of light, which it cannot.

We can choose to believe the planet's physicists stating that only the speed of expansion of the universe can be faster than light and only things without mass can move at the speed of light. Or we can choose to believe your assertion that matter other than that in the expansion of the universe can move faster than the speed of light.

As for aliens they may either exist somewhere in the universe or they may not. I can provide a scientific theory that there are no other advanced technological aliens in the universe. I can provide a scientific theory that there are millions of advanced technological civilisations. Nobody knows where the truth is in this range. Science has yet to detect anything as advanced as a microbe, other than on Earth.
    Last edited by 6EQUJ5; 21-09-2022 at 05:33 PM.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)