+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Aggro In Leicester?

Quote Originally Posted by BaggieSingh View Post
    The NRI (non residents of India) in the USA are very supportive of the pro Hindu narrative and the Western media seems to not report what is actually happening in India it’s amazing really
    I agree the western narrative is driven by the western agenda.....plenty of info out there but it does involve having to do research.
    Enough said.

Don't know that what is happening in India -or criticism of Modi-isn't being reported in the Western media as it seems to be there if you take a little trouble to look but it certainly isn't headline stuff. Bit like Africa in that regard.

At the moment it's all about the passing of the Queen and Putin and then the former will be forgotten and they'll remember about us having a new PM and how she will deal with cost of living crisis. Guess what is happening elsewhere in most of the world simply isn't judged that relevant.

As for Modi and what has been happening in India over recent years, you are quite right BS, it is worrying but you are probably right in your geo-political thinking regarding the US wanting to ensure that India's aspirations are curbed despite NRI support for the pro Hindu narrative . I read something recently though regarding the significant number of NRIs in key positions in hi Tec American industries and so assume their influence will only continue to grow?

Living in a tiny village in Leicestershire, I didn't know anything about the riots in the city until I saw it on the news. I rarely go into Leicester, except on the odd occasion.
    It's all very well to say that it's a successful multicultural city but when more than 50% of its population is Asian, I'm not convinced, as the whole identity of the city has changed.There are many areas, where to see a white face, is a rarity. I firmly believe that when a huge number of immigrants entered this country they should have been more spread out and not be all grouped together in cities such as Leicester and Bradford.
    If there weren't such vast numbers I'm sure that these riots would have been easier to contain, no matter what the cause.

Quote Originally Posted by Leicesterbaggie View Post
    Living in a tiny village in Leicestershire, I didn't know anything about the riots in the city until I saw it on the news. I rarely go into Leicester, except on the odd occasion.
    It's all very well to say that it's a successful multicultural city but when more than 50% of its population is Asian, I'm not convinced, as the whole identity of the city has changed.There are many areas, where to see a white face, is a rarity. I firmly believe that when a huge number of immigrants entered this country they should have been more spread out and not be all grouped together in cities such as Leicester and Bradford.
    If there weren't such vast numbers I'm sure that these riots would have been easier to contain, no matter what the cause.
    For many years Leicester has been pretty successful as a multicultural city and whilst trouble driven by extremist factions on both the Hindu and Muslim sides has been brewing for some time now many of the older generation of immigrants are quite shocked by the violence. Seems to be evidence of outside agitation too.

As for why certain areas are known for particularly high levels of immigration, much of the answer sadly comes down to racism. After the war the country actively strove to recruit from the West Indies for example to help rebuild, particularly in and around London but many residents feared they would take jobs and houses. They also feared and disliked them purely because they were different. Many British didn't want them living in the same areas as themselves (the old "No dogs, No Blacks, No Irish" boarding house signs) and so these West Indians were virtually forced into the poorer areas where they could find accommodation. Later arrivals naturally joined them finding it both safer and less intimidating as well as more affordable to live in the same area.

The pattern was the same with Indians and Pakistanis fleeing the violence of Partition and seeking better opportunities in the UK. Jobs were available in the textile industry in the North and the hosiery industry and others in Leicester for example as well as in the industrial Midlands. They weren't well paid jobs but better than opportunities at home and, again, they were forced into poorer areas. Increasing numbers continued to come over from the Commonwealth and a further influx of Asians fleeing from the new regime in Kenya prompted Powell's "rivers of blood" speech and then the 70s saw the rise of the National Front. Sathnam Sanghera writes tellingly of what it was like growing up in Wolverhampton as a Sikh in the 70s and recalls white residents forming associations to try and prevent Asian or Black families moving into their area. Immigrants were simply in many cases forced to live together in particular areas.

I agree with you that it would be better if different ethnic groups were more evenly spread but don't think any country sees this with immigrant populations as they tend to form their own clusters. Racism is a big part of this but it is also true, of course, that many immigrants themselves do not want to properly integrate. I totally understand wanting to retain elements of your own culture but if you chose to move to another country surely you also then have to make efforts to assimilate. When in Rome and all that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)