+ Visit Rotherham United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: O/T Kane to wear another type of armband at World Cup

Lets say FIFA band them from wearing it, if he started the game and put it on (assuming he wouldn't be able to walk out weaeing it, so hides it in his sock or under his sleeve etc) would he be sent off? Would the game be stopped to swap it back to the agreed arm band? Either way it would get the attention they want for the subject to a world audience.

If you go to another country you have to obey the laws of that country.

If you don't want to obey them then don't go to that country.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post

So is that why our country is in such disarray because people who come here don't obey the laws of our country? (That's putting it mildly)

The answer is simple, just ban all of these gestures no matter how noble they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Grist_To_The_Mill View Post
    The answer is simple, just ban all of these gestures no matter how noble they are.
    That used to be the case until they changed it for BLM, used to get booked for revealing a T-shirt with a political message.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I think the Royal British Legion would disagree.
    People wearing poppies shows respect for those who fought in wars AND generates a lot of much needed revenue.
    Wearing a fancy armband in a football tournament is merely another hollow gesture.
    You can donate or even buy a poppy without the need to wear one. I'm not saying it's not a good cause,

Rather than cheap insults I'd like to hear a constructive and reasoned argument as to why its magically different to this.

I'll not hold my breath.

Quote Originally Posted by great_fire View Post

Good point, I change my plans.

Is the armband directly promoting same *** relationships? If not then they aren't illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by fc_miller View Post
    Good point, I change my plans.

Is the armband directly promoting same *** relationships? If not then they aren't illegal.
    It's a different rainbow armband to the one Kane wore in the Euros but I'm guessing by the name that it promotes same *** relationships so I don't know why they wouldn't ban it.

Quote Originally Posted by John2 View Post
    You can donate or even buy a poppy without the need to wear one. I'm not saying it's not a good cause,

Rather than cheap insults I'd like to hear a constructive and reasoned argument as to why its magically different to this.

I'll not hold my breath.
    I would say wearing poppies achieves something tangible and measurable each year and, arguably, generates a sense of national pride. That's my opinion anyway.
    Wearing a fancy coloured armband in a country whose customs and laws are abhorrent to many (most?) may generate some heated debate but I'm prepared to bet it won't change a damn thing in Qatar or other countries with similar beliefs and customs.
    Let's be honest, taking the knee has generated talking points but it has also created division and the racists are still out there in force.
    The most powerful course of action would have been for all countries that strongly disagree with the regime in Qatar to have said from the outset that they would not participate in the World Cup but obviously their principles aren't really that strong and the fear of bans and loss of revenue are far more powerful levers.

Quote Originally Posted by mellowmiller View Post
    I would say wearing poppies achieves something tangible and measurable each year and, arguably, generates a sense of national pride. That's my opinion anyway.
    Wearing a fancy coloured armband in a country whose customs and laws are abhorrent to many (most?) may generate some heated debate but I'm prepared to bet it won't change a damn thing in Qatar or other countries with similar beliefs and customs.
    Let's be honest, taking the knee has generated talking points but it has also created division and the racists are still out there in force.
    The most powerful course of action would have been for all countries that strongly disagree with the regime in Qatar to have said from the outset that they would not participate in the World Cup but obviously their principles aren't really that strong and the fear of bans and loss of revenue are far more powerful levers.
    But what gives us the divine right to comment on ( and want to change) the customs, beliefs and laws of another country?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast