+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rosenior relieved...

Rotherham are 8th in the championship with one loss in 8 games. Better than previous attempts to stick in the higher league. I'm wondering why he would want to drop a division....wages spring to mind, maybe. I've no idea if he's the Messiah, or just a very naughty boy, but it seems an odd call for him. And before anyone comes in with the "we're a big club" argument.....

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Rotherham are 8th in the championship with one loss in 8 games. Better than previous attempts to stick in the higher league. I'm wondering why he would want to drop a division....wages spring to mind, maybe. I've no idea if he's the Messiah, or just a very naughty boy, but it seems an odd call for him. And before anyone comes in with the "we're a big club" argument.....
    I have...and we are, ‘bigger’ at least...though not necessarily ‘big’.
    In comparison, Rotherham’s stadium has a capacity of about 12,000. Their average attendance over recent seasons has been 10-11 thousand and that’s not likely to change given the ‘catchment competition’ from the likes of Leeds, the two Sheffield clubs, Barnsley and Huddersfield.
    I’m not knocking Rotherham’s achievements but we ARE better placed than that so it is, imo, a valid argument.
    No idea if he’ll be the ‘Messiah’ but being about the league’s sixth longest serving manager suggests he does understand the value of loyalty.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 22-09-2022 at 08:13 AM.

Or being the League's 6th longest serving manager suggests noone else wants him! So he's that keen to leave that he quits for a team 24 grid spots below his current standing.

Would Guardiola quit the blue Manks to join Sunderland?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Or being the League's 6th longest serving manager suggests noone else wants him! So he's that keen to leave that he quits for a team 24 grid spots below his current standing.

Would Guardiola quit the blue Manks to join Sunderland?
    Except that Huddersfield and Cardiff both apparently did...and no, of course Guardiola wouldn’t quit City for Sunderland...but to quote your good self, you’re comparing oranges and apples, or whatever it is you often say.
    The truth is that the height of Rotherham’s ambition is to survive in the Championship in front of a maximum of 12,000 fans. Yes, we are (temporarily) lower than them but have vastly more potential. Whether our new manager can tap into it is the question, but I can quite understand what makes us attractive to a manager with a good understanding of how to escape L1.

With my coaches hat on, it doesn't make sense.

LR put a decent squad together in next to no time. He will have brought players in to fit in with his style. Namely, similar to last season but getting forward faster etc..... We finally saw that the last 60 against Wycombe. Then he's replaced.

Will the new guy keep to the style or will he change it? If so, do the current players, as a unit, fit that other style? Might we drop down the League between now and January until the new guy can move some players on and bring in others, if available, who DO fit his style?

Will we have to pay compensation for the new manager? If so, would that count as a transfer fee, something we aren't allowed to pay this or next season?

It's official now

Warne in. Liam apparently reverting to coach. Just seen the minutes of yesterday's meeting between the club and the various fan groups on FB.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid...82942097174854

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    With my coaches hat on, it doesn't make sense.

LR put a decent squad together in next to no time. He will have brought players in to fit in with his style. Namely, similar to last season but getting forward faster etc..... We finally saw that the last 60 against Wycombe. Then he's replaced.

Will the new guy keep to the style or will he change it? If so, do the current players, as a unit, fit that other style? Might we drop down the League between now and January until the new guy can move some players on and bring in others, if available, who DO fit his style?

Will we have to pay compensation for the new manager? If so, would that count as a transfer fee, something we aren't allowed to pay this or next season?
    With respect MA, it makes total sense. Warne is a proven experienced manager who has achieved promotion from this league and is used to managing on a small budget. Furthermore he currently has Rotherham 8th in the Championship, playing by all accounts a mixture of direct football and playing out from the back.

As for the players, which manager at this level has the luxury of picking all the players in a team? Most have to work with what they have and add the odd one or two when they can. Again he will have noted the quality of players brought in and no doubt be relishing the job. Not really sure Rosenior necessarily bought players "to fit his style", at this level and being restricted to free transfers, he will have recruited the best players available, which in fact is what he has done.

This clearly hasn't been a rushed job, which is promising, the club has researched and recruited a manager, which if it had been at the start of the season, nobody would be questioning. Rosenior was appointed as an interim and has done well, but this guy beats him int erms of track record and management experience.

It seems compensation isn't classed a transfer fee (if it was then payments made to managers by all clubs would be breaching FFP!!) as we have signed him.

GP, yes on the face of it the guy is dropping down, but I'd guess his wages are higher and in the medium term he gets to manage a bigger club with more potential, where if we were in the championship he might not have that opportunity. So it makes absolute sense for him to take a step back now and its up to him to make it a good career move.

Pleased that Rosenior is staying as coach. The move from the club does make sense to me and we should remember that LR was never made anything more than ‘interim manager’. If it had worked out perfectly then great...but it didn’t...we’ve got off to a decent start and there’s still a very long way to go but there’s also been a hell of a lot of criticism from fans thus far.
    Hopefully Warne and Rosenior can get on and learn from each other...the former about the strengths and weaknesses of the squad he will have at least until January, and the latter about the tough reality of succeeding in L1 and starting to win away.
    Personally I’m optimistic and pleased that it seems to have been handled well and at an appropriate ‘pause’ in the season.

With a 4 year contract he can't lose. Let's hope he has what it takes to work under expectation

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)