+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ....and Mansfield

Quote Originally Posted by gazan View Post
    I have to disagree with you there, Wartman. Yes, we could always do with more money. However, we haven't got it. What's more, with the nutters in charge of the country, we're likely to have even less in the next two years. So, no use crying over what we can't have.
    However, I will also disagree with Morris, having just seen his post-match comments. There weren't just two errors that gave the game away. He forget to mention his own match philosophy. He said we didn't manage the game well after going into the lead. We scored with 20 minutes to go and then 8 minutes added. We shouldn't be looking to hold on with 28 minutes to go! Mansfield had been wobbling for a few minutes before we scored and we should have kept the pressure on afterwards. Brook should have been brought on there and then. Instead we look to Adebisi and Sass-Davis as potential players to shore things up. Admittedly Adebisi was expected to add some attack down the left but in the end his lack of match sharpness let the team down.
    Glad to have King back next game.
    Politics like football is a matter of opinion and I don’t like to mix the two, which ever party was in power our first team budget would be crap we spend too much money in other areas and they need to re balance that.

Just digressing from the action on the field, I noticed that the floodlights were on from before the game. I know that they have to warm up gradually to full power if needed but the weather forecast didn't suggest that they would be needed. A total waste of money. Certainly didn't help the ref with his performance either.

Quote Originally Posted by Wartman View Post
    It’s easy to blame the officials to mask the plainly obvious we are losing games because of the boards failure to provide a competitive budget when are opponents are using 4or5 subs against us and our manager is trying to win games with mainly the starting 11 and 1 or 2 subs we are going to struggle. Mansfield were the best side today and definitely finished the stronger due to utilising their bench we brought on 1 defender for a forward player. And that is the plain fact whinging about officials is a cop out have a look at the pathetic budget our manager is being expected to remain competitive with.
    I wasn't so much whinging about the official. I was more stating a fact. He was woeful. Whinging about our budget is rather pointless as well as it is what it is and the reasons for it are well documented and discussed. To be frank, I would rather be doing it our way than the way of some other clubs of our stature. I do agree, however, that the use of substitutes as been questionable to say the least. I would have had Brook on for sure probably instead of Rio. Rio is a decent player but he needs some more moles under his belt before being used against one of the better sides in the division when we have take the lead against the run of play. We had defended reasonably well up to that point.
    The budget, incidentally, is why bringing in a manager from outside would not work because their hands would be tied rather like Dave Artell's were and Alex Morris's are.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    I wasn't so much whinging about the official. I was more stating a fact. He was woeful. Whinging about our budget is rather pointless as well as it is what it is and the reasons for it are well documented and discussed. To be frank, I would rather be doing it our way than the way of some other clubs of our stature. I do agree, however, that the use of substitutes as been questionable to say the least. I would have had Brook on for sure probably instead of Rio. Rio is a decent player but he needs some more moles under his belt before being used against one of the better sides in the division when we have take the lead against the run of play. We had defended reasonably well up to that point.
    The budget, incidentally, is why bringing in a manager from outside would not work because their hands would be tied rather like Dave Artell's were and Alex Morris's are.
    Agree Timmy. I did think that we were better with Rio on and Uwake in midfield. Not sure how moles will help though, would have thought they would wriggle too much.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyboldon View Post
    Agree Timmy. I did think that we were better with Rio on and Uwake in midfield. Not sure how moles will help though, would have thought they would wriggle too much.
    Ha ha. The folly of typing without my glasses on. "Moles" should have read "minutes". That'll learn me

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy58 View Post
    Ha ha. The folly of typing without my glasses on. "Moles" should have read "minutes". That'll learn me
    I'd assumed you meant miles!

Had to miss the game at the last minute, ironically to go about 20 miles from Mansfield, so followed on live feed on BBC. Just after their equalizer it said 89th minute, penalty to Crewe for handball by (guy who'd just come on as Stags sub). Was keeping fingers crossed and then it was just wiped from the feed, so I imagine someone had just mistaken what was going on as no mention in match reports (long before the one not given at the end) and none of you lucky (?) enough to be there were aware of it!

They'd just cleared the ball from their goal line, ball went back in, not sure from who & it hit one of the Mansfield players on the arm, seen by the BBC journalist obviously, but not by the useless officials.

More than hit his arm, he actually moved his arm to the ball and totally changed its direction. Clear penalty except the ref didn't fancy giving it so late in the game.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12