+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: More grammar schools, Liz is kidding - right?

Question More grammar schools, Liz is kidding - right?

Sinky & Supersub6 in full "cream their kecks" mode...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...fd2196a0bd4cb0

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    Sinky & Supersub6 in full "cream their kecks" mode...

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...fd2196a0bd4cb0
    Sorry to disappoint, BT, because it matters not a jot to me what they do in the education sector because I am not intending returning to school. I made the most of what I, a young lad whose parents were millworkers, was offered.
    All I will say is that, watching various quiz programmes on TV, there is a large void in general knowledge amongst many people for whatever reason. They seem to know lots about 'celebrity' and 'reality tv shows, however, that is often their limit.

They tell us every year that results are the best that they have ever been so we really should have a genius nation. WIll I see this in my lifetime?

Quote Originally Posted by Supersub6 View Post
    Sorry to disappoint, BT, because it matters not a jot to me what they do in the education sector because I am not intending returning to school. I made the most of what I, a young lad whose parents were millworkers, was offered.
    All I will say is that, watching various quiz programmes on TV, there is a large void in general knowledge amongst many people for whatever reason. They seem to know lots about 'celebrity' and 'reality tv shows, however, that is often their limit.

They tell us every year that results are the best that they have ever been so we really should have a genius nation. WIll I see this in my lifetime?
    I can't in all honesty answer your question Supersub6, but my eldest three grandchildren can tell you quite informatively about "gender fluidity" and LBGT rights.

"Academics, education unions and politicians of every hue have attacked government plans for more grammar schools, warning that selection does not improve social mobility and will not solve the challenges facing schools in the next decade."

If academics, education unions and politicians of every hue are in opposition to these plans, I don't even need to read about them, they'll do for me. They'll do nothing for social mobility apparently. they won't solve challenges facing schools apparently, whatever that gobbledygook means, but I don't see any mention of whether they will provide a better education for our children. While these groups indulge themselves with their political and ideological games, our education system continues to spew out youngsters into their adult lives , the majority of whom as Sub points out, are thick as mince. But who cares about that, what's that got to do with anything ?

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    I can't in all honesty answer your question Supersub6, but my eldest three grandchildren can tell you quite informatively about "gender fluidity" and LBGT rights.
    God help us

When I worked in telecommunications, I often had university graduates working with me who could in all probability been able to write a paper on the process being undertaken but give them a screwdriver and they did not know what to do with it. In some case's you needed to point out that one had to get hold of the blunt end.

I was lucky enough to go to St Theodora’s on Ormerod Road (now gone). It was a secondary modern with a grammar stream for boys that passed the 11 plus, and a secondary stream for those who did not.

One of its virtues was that boys who were late developers could move up into the grammar stream. They were not “write-offs” at 11. A couple that I can name did move up and went to university.

What was so wrong with that system. It worked really well, as far as I could see.

Like others on here, my parents were working class and I took the opportunities that were presented to me. Surely that is what it is about - giving youngsters the opportunities to learn, grow and qualify in areas of life that interest them.

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    I was lucky enough to go to St Theodora’s on Ormerod Road (now gone). It was a secondary modern with a grammar stream for boys that passed the 11 plus, and a secondary stream for those who did not.

One of its virtues was that boys who were late developers could move up into the grammar stream. They were not “write-offs” at 11. A couple that I can name did move up and went to university.

What was so wrong with that system. It worked really well, as far as I could see.

Like others on here, my parents were working class and I took the opportunities that were presented to me. Surely that is what it is about - giving youngsters the opportunities to learn, grow and qualify in areas of life that interest them.
    Agree totally with your sentiments S_c, just as long as every student in the UK has the same access to what's available education wise.

I think the bar should be raised so all pupils could be taught in the "grammar stream" which should be the norm not the exception.

I also think free uniforms and free school meals should also be a given. That would "level things up" from the get-go don't you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Swissclaret View Post
    I was lucky enough to go to St Theodora’s on Ormerod Road (now gone).
    When were you at Teds Swiss ?

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    When were you at Teds Swiss ?
    Indeed I was sinvok - 1964 to 1971. Many happy memories of the place. Great facilities and great teachers.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)