+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Tax cut madness

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    I despaired of the vacuum that had been unnecessarily created...filling it full of incompetents is no answer.

You initially and immediately called it right with words such as ‘madness’, ‘ridiculous’ and ‘ludicrous’...I just said it had to be reversed...but honestly...I don’t know how he/they can continue. Has any combination of PM and Chancellor ever done so much damage in so short a time?

Just a question of who proves better at throwing the other under the proverbial ‘bus’ now. My money is on Truss...God help us!

‘Time to bring Boris back’??? What...as Chancellor? So truss worthy!
    1.12 now..........although most of that recovery from the low came before the reversal

Having people in charge who can completely defend and then abandon their financial strategy within less than 24 hours is no basis for the economic community believing in our current ability to recover is it?
    Frankly I think you’d make a better job of being Chancellor, GP...providing MA, Swale or I could provide you with a working moral compass.

Ah but my natural magnetism would divert your compass in different directions

Totally off this topic, but MA, as a resident cloggie, do you understand German language? Was debating last night on the subject of German nouns being classified as male, female or neuter. Question is, in this era of no ***ual determinism, have any of these words been determined as non binary now? Has the word for spoon for example (traditionally masculine) changed?

GP, I know more than a billion German words but only because I can count...... the area of Germany I frequently visit, we have a relative of sorts there, former step father in law who's lived there for 30 years, on my wine buying trips is Rhineland Pfalz and they have a weird accent/dialect which sounds really weird. I'm fluent in English and Dutch, can still read and understand written French and Spanish but don't have sufficient vocabulary recall to have anything more than a basic conversation ordering food and drinks or clothes/shoes. Beyond that I'm done for. Rhineland Pfalz-ish has me struggling to identify the sounds made, never mind forming words and sentences from them. Imagine something akin to a blend of Scouse and Geordie on steroids.

Proper German does, indeed, have male, female and neutral nouns all with their own consequences for the rest of a sentence. Way too difficult for me to get my head round these days. To the best of my knowledge, men are still men, women are still women. I can only presume that Trans people fall into the neutral category.

Sorry, can't be more helpful than that.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    GP, I know more than a billion German words but only because I can count...... the area of Germany I frequently visit, we have a relative of sorts there, former step father in law who's lived there for 30 years, on my wine buying trips is Rhineland Pfalz and they have a weird accent/dialect which sounds really weird. I'm fluent in English and Dutch, can still read and understand written French and Spanish but don't have sufficient vocabulary recall to have anything more than a basic conversation ordering food and drinks or clothes/shoes. Beyond that I'm done for. Rhineland Pfalz-ish has me struggling to identify the sounds made, never mind forming words and sentences from them. Imagine something akin to a blend of Scouse and Geordie on steroids.

Proper German does, indeed, have male, female and neutral nouns all with their own consequences for the rest of a sentence. Way too difficult for me to get my head round these days. To the best of my knowledge, men are still men, women are still women. I can only presume that Trans people fall into the neutral category.

Sorry, can't be more helpful than that.
    The last time I was in Holland we visited a bar/restaurant in Venlo (?) just over border from Germany. Seeking to be polite we asked the barman/owner how to say a few words in Dutch. ‘Just think b*****dised German’...came his friendly, though not entirely helpful, reply.

Not sure if MA agrees or is offended.

Not offended at all rA. Just as the US and UK languages have the same base but have diverged down the years, the same applies to German and Dutch. The German language is harsher, more guttural. Their grammar is also way more complicated.

I go 2 or 3 times a year to Rhineland-Pfalz to visit my former step father in law and to buy some delicious wine from the local vineyards of the Nahe valley. 20 years ago we knew the best ones to visit. In more recent times 2 have passed from father to children. Prices have increased and quality diminished so we don't visit those any longer. the 3rd one we used frequently, the owners have just retired and it's been taken over by a firm based outside the region. Same story there, price up, quality down. A 4th one we have used closed down. Just one of our "favourites" left for now. The area has a weird dialect and despite being fluent in 2 languages and OK-ish in 2 others (used to be competent in them but lack of use has taken its toll) I find it hard to distinguish sounds, never mind words. I've given up on German. If they can't handle one of the 4 languages I speak, that's their hard luck. I have discovered though that, if I converse with a German in Dutch and they reply in German, there are sufficient similarities in the languages for us to, at least, get by.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Having people in charge who can completely defend and then abandon their financial strategy within less than 24 hours is no basis for the economic community believing in our current ability to recover is it?
    Frankly I think you’d make a better job of being Chancellor, GP...providing MA, Swale or I could provide you with a working moral compass.
    Ah the anarchist the potty mouth and the idealist- the compass would be spinning so fast the bearing would burn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Ah the anarchist the potty mouth and the idealist- the compass would be spinning so fast the bearing would burn out.
    I’ll admit to being a bit of an idealist, pretty sure MA doesn’t fit the description of an anarchist, although Swale can be a ‘potty mouth’ on occasions, usually when frustration gets the better of him...still you’ll have noticed that the ‘fence sitter’...the ‘it’s not really their fault’...‘you have to just get on with it and never criticise’ merchant didn’t feature.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Not offended at all rA. Just as the US and UK languages have the same base but have diverged down the years, the same applies to German and Dutch. The German language is harsher, more guttural. Their grammar is also way more complicated.

I go 2 or 3 times a year to Rhineland-Pfalz to visit my former step father in law and to buy some delicious wine from the local vineyards of the Nahe valley. 20 years ago we knew the best ones to visit. In more recent times 2 have passed from father to children. Prices have increased and quality diminished so we don't visit those any longer. the 3rd one we used frequently, the owners have just retired and it's been taken over by a firm based outside the region. Same story there, price up, quality down. A 4th one we have used closed down. Just one of our "favourites" left for now. The area has a weird dialect and despite being fluent in 2 languages and OK-ish in 2 others (used to be competent in them but lack of use has taken its toll) I find it hard to distinguish sounds, never mind words. I've given up on German. If they can't handle one of the 4 languages I speak, that's their hard luck. I have discovered though that, if I converse with a German in Dutch and they reply in German, there are sufficient similarities in the languages for us to, at least, get by.
    I envy your linguistic ability. I can be polite and order beer, wine and food in most (European) places but beyond that...nada!
    One lovely Spanish hotel owner on the way down had one of those audio translation apps on his phone. I know it’s lazy but I may have to invest. Too late to learn now.

Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)