+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: OT Tax cut madness

You can accept or not accept how society and the economy works, but it won't make any difference

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Tbf mac, for one reason or another there hasn’t been much football for about three weeks and the thread about our change of manager has attracted just 33 replies in eleven days.
    Yes, unfortunately as a footie site rigor mortis has thoroughly set in whilst as a debating society the opposite is true. I have no complaints if that's what members want but, personally, I am disappointed we have lost so many 'footie' contributors. I must admit there is some entertainment in the sparring between opposite beliefs, unfortunately t's b....y politics! Still what rocks your boat!

Quote Originally Posted by macstheman View Post
    Yes, unfortunately as a footie site rigor mortis has thoroughly set in whilst as a debating society the opposite is true. I have no complaints if that's what members want but, personally, I am disappointed we have lost so many 'footie' contributors. I must admit there is some entertainment in the sparring between opposite beliefs, unfortunately t's b....y politics! Still what rocks your boat!
    It’ll be alright mac...the politics is only a temporary alternative to the football. There are only about four or five non football debates, they’re just a bit longer running. We’ll be all over the footie again if we can hold on at Cambridge. COYR.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    You can accept or not accept how society and the economy works, but it won't make any difference

You can always, and I know this might startle you, try and change it, GP.

OK rA, lets consider your brave new world with a real life example

I have an elderly relative who has stopped driving and has a "once careful lady owner" car to dispose of

In your brave new world, acting on behalf of the relative, do you:

A) Sell the car to a dealer who will add a mark up to its resale value (or fleece you, or both)? {the tout option)
    Put the car in an auction? {the eBay option)
    C) Give the car to a needy person for nothing? (and in so doing deprive your relative of much needed cash to pay fuel costs)
    D) Scrap the car as an eco-green gesture? (and in so doing deprive your relative of much needed cash to pay fuel costs)
    E) Sell the car privately on a first come first served basis for a price you think is fair, bearing in mnd you know nothing of car values? (and then watch the buyer turn a profit by reselling at auction perhaps)
    F) Some other idea such as making the car a community asset for anyone with a UB40, paying the insurance, maintenance and fuel costs yourself?

I dont know, if you wont let market forces dictate the price, how do you act as a disrupter in your brave ne economically naive world?

No idea why simply challenging the morality of the ‘supply and demand’ mentality should earn such ridicule from you but, in answer to your seriously over complicated question...I’d get my younger and clearly infinitely wealthier relative (nephew perhaps, i.e. you) to help out...get it valued by one of the car buying internet sites (‘Motorway’ worked very well for me earlier this year) and sell through them or use their valuation to sell privately.

As your relative sounds elderly and relatively financially ‘needy’ you might want to help out with the complexities of the internet valuation and ensure that you, or another family member, are present if a potential buyer comes round.

Anything else I can help you with?

So, in other words, your let the natural economy and the law of supply and demand deal with it

Where’s your oppo to win the argument by calling us all racist bigot idiots when you need him…

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    So, in other words, your let the natural economy and the law of supply and demand deal with it
    I think you’ve, probably deliberately, entirely missed my point. My objection is to certain aspects of our society being run according to the morally suspect rules of ‘supply and demand’.
    Taken to their extreme we are then dealing with a ‘tout mentality’ as currently exemplified, imo, by the oil and gas companies who are profiteering massively at a time when ‘the people’ are about to suffer real hardship.

As regards your elderly relative...the price she gets for her car will be determined by ‘market forces’ to an extent, but ‘market forces’ are, as I’m sure you already know, a little nebulous. This is something you may discover if you go down the route I suggested...in my own experience ‘Motorway’ ensured that I received about £1500 more for a three year old, low mileage (because of Covid) £20k vehicle than another particularly well known car purchasing business...so be careful out there.

I’m not a Marxist (or an anything ‘ist’ actually) but ‘from each according to his ability to each according to his needs’ has, in philosophical terms, a great deal going for it imo, and that applies equally to fuel, tax and tax cuts and the sale of your elderly relative’s car.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 02-10-2022 at 08:37 AM.

So in essence you were happy to profiteer when selling your own car. Case proven, no further discussion neede

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)