+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australia?

Australia?

Just started planning a revisit next year.

Anyone here been to the following places?

Melbourne?

Byron Bay?

Port Douglas?

Cairns?

Darwen?

Looking for advice chaps?

We’re revisiting Perth, Sydney and Brisbane but looking for other destinations?

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Just started planning a revisit next year.

Anyone here been to the following places?

Melbourne?

Byron Bay?

Port Douglas?

Cairns?

Darwen?

Looking for advice chaps?

We’re revisiting Perth, Sydney and Brisbane but looking for other destinations?
    Been to most of Australia many times but my weakness is Queensland and The Territories so not a lot of use I am afraid. Been to Darwin and Brisbane but only a one night so not a lot of use at the former and you have been to Brisbane.

As alternative thoughts. Are you driving? If so Sydney to Melbourne with several stops a must via the Coastal road. Allow a week, easy driving and spoilt for choice where to stop.

Also if you have not done it travel out to Katoomba from Sydney and take in some of the best scenery Oz has to offer.

Did a round trip in 2012 to a few of those places Mick. I liked Darwin and I would advise a trip out to the Kakadu National Park. It is an aboriginal homeland and very interesting with lots of big crocs to see. When in Port Douglas we visited the Daintree Rain Forest which contained spiders as big as dinner plates! Cairns is a good base for the reef and also there is a train which goes up the mountain to Katunda with some spectacular views on the way. Lots to do in Melbourne but the highlight was a tramcar trip at night including dinner which went down to St Kilda. First(and last) time that I ate kangaroo. Australia is a place that I would love to visit again.

Thanks chaps.

I lack the confidence to drive whilst I’m abroad these days, it’s the cities that I would find too challenging and I’m a person who likes certainty about where I’m staying each night, I don’t do “on the hoof” travel.

I love water be it the sea or rivers so I’d rather do that sort of stuff than go to wildlife reserves or stroking Aborigines.

Port Douglas or Cairns are being suggested to us by Kuoni but I’m just not sure about the Northern Territories?

I’ve been warned off Adelaide as well.

I love Aus. Melbourne was OK but I much preferred Sydney as a city. I was not that taken with Cairns, which seems to have developed fast as a resort but I could be wrong. I really liked Northern Territory, which I can only describe as desert like and wild. Nothing seems to have touched NT much as far as I could see. I have a mate in Aus and will email him and ask what he thinks.

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Thanks chaps.

I lack the confidence to drive whilst I’m abroad these days, it’s the cities that I would find too challenging and I’m a person who likes certainty about where I’m staying each night, I don’t do “on the hoof” travel.

I love water be it the sea or rivers so I’d rather do that sort of stuff than go to wildlife reserves or stroking Aborigines.

Port Douglas or Cairns are being suggested to us by Kuoni but I’m just not sure about the Northern Territories?

I’ve been warned off Adelaide as well.

Book direct Mick as package holidays are for dithering old sods! The managing direct of Kuoni Derek Jones was my old boss and a useless t wat and a scouser!

I got a price and itinerary for my holiday from Kuoni and then went and booked everything myself. Much more satisfying and 4k cheaper!

Went there in 2003 and booked flights, hotels & excursions through Trailfinders who were brilliant.

Port Douglas - great for the barrier reef and rainforest, you can also take a hot air balloon flight as the sun comes up across the Mareeba tablelands. Port Douglas itself was a sleepy place so book your dinner early!

Ayers rock too was a good experience - you can have dinner in the desert with zero light pollution (sounds of silence) and walk around the rock itself at dawn but be prepared for the flies, relentless.

Australia has the most deadly animals on the planet Mick.
    We'll start with the Taipan, the most venomous snake on earth.
    Then there is the Eastern Brown snake which causes a lot of deaths, along with the western brown.
    The stonefish is the most venomous fish in the world, you only know of it's presence when you step on it.
    The Blue Ringed Octopus has no antidote for it's venom, again hard to see as they only grow to the size of a golf ball. The Box jellyfish is another to look out for.
    The Sal****er crocodile is said to be the most dangerous and aggressive animal on the planet, ask Captain Hook. Then there is our old pal the Great White Shark, aka White Death.
    If you have a near miss from any of the above and need the loo, check there aren't any Black Widow or Funnel Web Spiders hiding in there.
    Have a nice trip.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Australia has the most deadly animals on the planet Mick.
    We'll start with the Taipan, the most venomous snake on earth.
    Then there is the Eastern Brown snake which causes a lot of deaths, along with the western brown.
    The stonefish is the most venomous fish in the world, you only know of it's presence when you step on it.
    The Blue Ringed Octopus has no antidote for it's venom, again hard to see as they only grow to the size of a golf ball. The Box jellyfish is another to look out for.
    The Sal****er crocodile is said to be the most dangerous and aggressive animal on the planet, ask Captain Hook. Then there is our old pal the Great White Shark, aka White Death.
    If you have a near miss from any of the above and need the loo, check there aren't any Black Widow or Funnel Web Spiders hiding in there.
    Have a nice trip.

Don’t forget Des in some areas if you go near lakes etc you will encounter great big crocs ready to rip you to shreds!

Plenty of deadly animals in this country though who usually frequent some coastal resorts drinking 12 points of lager after fish and chips wrapped up in the Sun newspaper 😭

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)